Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    The first volume was nothing short of brilliant imo, both storywise and visuallywise.
    Care to share why? I thought that it was pretty much derivative story, whose story seemed to be cribbed off a tv detective drama.

The only thing that was good about the first volume was Harvey Bullock's characterization. And even then, I suspect that might have been a fluke. We'll see if Johns can continue that in this volume.

Oh, and some of Alfred's "badass" characterization was decent, but I've seen that done better elsewhere.

Everything else was horrid. Batman's characterization, the generic plot, Johns' constant "my way or the highway" philosophy of remaking stuff to fit his ideal "vision", oh, and did I mention Batman's characterization? Seriously, I usually roll my eyes at the "Geoff Johns hates Batman" stuff, but then I remember Batman: Earth One, Vol I, and I think, "weeell, on the other hand..."

In summary, generic Geoff Johns schlock.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Care to share why? I thought that it was pretty much derivative story, whose story seemed to be cribbed off a tv detective drama.
    Gladly.

For one, I like why and how he decides to fight crime. He comes to the realization that there was more at stake than his vendetta, as soon as he put the mask on. He changed things, whereas it was his goal or not. So he can't step back from that. He feels he has a responsibility. The first scene, when he gives the homeless woman some money, is the first step of this realization. He realize that some people really needs help, but he doesn't know how to really do it yet, and he's not ready.

Volume 2 will be about him realizing that his goal is harder to reach than he thought.

I also like that this is far from a seasoned Batman. He never left Gotham, and Alfred learned him how to fight. He got away from volume 1 by luck, be it against the birthday killer (and the preview from volume 2 show how luck can't always save you), or against the penguin.

I like how flawed he is. Despite showing himself as a jerk, and being kinda selfish, you can see how human he is. There is some real character development here, and I really felt sympathy for him.

Same goes for Bullock. what's tragic is that, even when he's seeking glory, you can feel he's really a good guy inside, but he's so far from reality, that he totally snaps when he's confronted with evil. I can't wait to read more about this Bullock

I love the art. It tells so much. You don't need inner narration thanks to the art, and it makes the pacing really effective. In an age where some people can't help but use 10 pages of monologue on a 22 pages issue, I really appreciate this form of writing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    Gladly.

For one, I like why and how he decides to fight crime. He comes to the realization that there was more at stake than his vendetta, as soon as he put the mask on. He changed things, whereas it was his goal or not. So he can't step back from that. He feels he has a responsibility. The first scene, when he gives the homeless woman some money, is the first step of this realization. He realize that some people really needs help, but he doesn't know how to really do it yet, and he's not ready.

Volume 2 will be about him realizing that his goal is harder to reach than he thought.

I also like that this is far from a seasoned Batman. He never left Gotham, and Alfred learned him how to fight. He got away from volume 1 by luck, be it against the birthday killer (and the preview from volume 2 show how luck can't always save you), or against the penguin.

I like how flawed he is. Despite showing himself as a jerk, and being kinda selfish, you can see how human he is. There is some real character development here, and I really felt sympathy for him.

Same goes for Bullock. what's tragic is that, even when he's seeking glory, you can feel he's really a good guy inside, but he's so far from reality, that he totally snaps when he's confronted with evil. I can't wait to read more about this Bullock

I love the art. It tells so much. You don't need inner narration thanks to the art, and it makes the pacing really effective. In an age where some people can't help but use 10 pages of monologue on a 22 pages issue, I really appreciate this form of writing.