Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    So, basically, more character assassination of Xavier in the same vein as Whedon's Danger arc and Brubaker's Deadly Genesis. Pass.

Too many of the core cast are morally compromised beyond rehabilitation at this point. Just a bunch of dysfunctional assholes. No one left to root for.

**** it. Time to drop the continuity bomb, and start over. No more deconstruction. No more cynical, gray-and-black morality. Get a Kurt Busiek or a Geoff Johns type to reboot the X-Men as heroes again--likable, sympathetic people worth spending time with. Bring them back as people I want to see succeed, not a bunch of morally handicapped anti-heroes I'd rather see brought to justice.

After Secret Wars, Marvel should've left the 616 X-titles dead and just run with X-Men '92 as the new core title. THOSE were the X-Men as they should be. I liked those X-Men. I enjoyed reading their stories. They're good people.

If I want depressing, hypocritical assholery, I'll watch the news.
    Lol they tried that and it did not sell and I'm happy it did not sell

Quote Originally Posted by jyamen View Post
    I can give some rope for Xaviers behavior. He died, had a piece of brain used by the Red Skull, was taken captive by the Shadow King and now inhabits a completely new body. What struck me as odd was the teams reaction to him from the get-go. I don't recall the OG5 ever hating Xavier. Yes, they had their disagreements, but there was never any real disgust with him that ever recall. That, and youd think thered be a bit more excitement at finding out your mentor was alive again.
    There has been a level of distrust and anger by the originals against Charles for a while. There's a reason he didn't live with either of the Schism teams.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I really hope not. The sooner we can be rid of X the better in my opinion. I'd much rather have Betsy and Warren among my beloved X-Men, rather than being Xavier's pawns.
    Eh, I don’t know to feel about it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    When did Xavier's and Jean's relationship come up? He brought them to the town and pissed off before they grouped back to find Hank and Lucy.
    This is the closest I could find... and I put this down to X being a telepathic god, thus knowing Jean was alive. It's like asking how X knew the O4 would be having dinner.
    axj.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    NAW Gurl.
    YEE Boi.

Xavier was right.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Lol they tried that and it did not sell and I'm happy it did not sell
    It didn't sell because it was put out alongside the existing 616 X-titles. If it had BEEN the core X-title, it would've sold like one.

Learn how to use punctuation, and wipe your nose, junior. Welcome to my Ignore List.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    This is the closest I could find... and I put this down to X being a telepathic god, thus knowing Jean was alive. It's like asking how X knew the O4 would be having dinner.
    axj.jpg
    Yeah, that's the only scene I could think of, too. Also Beast, he finally seems to be feeling the weight of all the misfortune that he himself, has wrought. Liked Bobby's backbone in this, too, both with "Chuck" & Lucifer. Boy finally seems to be gettin' some nerve, and not takin' any crap, but instead... even instigating some. Rosenberg really does have a feel for these characters, I think. He gets them, who they are, and what makes them tick. Like how defensive & accusatory Jean got over Warren's act of finality, that's classic to the way she is, IMO.

Spectacular Member

That's an unusual perspective. I don't think Xavier has ever had a particularly large fanbase, so I don't see how him becoming a villain (some would consider him one now) would make him more likable.
    People are saying the reason why Magneto and Emma get a pass even if they've done more terrible things than Xavier for the sake of the "greater good" is because they are honest about their terribleness. Therefore, once Xavier becomes a villain and is honest about his terribleness, then he can get a pass too.

Hell, I'm sure both of them would be hesitant to work with X, as he isn't the man they once knew, and they never saw eye-to-eye with him anyway.
    They'd both probably like him better as a villain. They also had a problem with him clinging to his own misconceptions about his moral high ground. Once that's gone, then they can all be honest and bond with each other about their criminally reprehensible ways to a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by jollygoldfish View Post
    People are saying the reason why Magneto and Emma get a pass even if they've done more terrible things than Xavier for the sake of the "greater good" is because they are honest about their terribleness. Therefore, once Xavier becomes a villain and is honest about his terribleness, then he can get a pass too.

They'd both probably like him better as a villain. They also had a problem with him clinging to his own misconceptions about his moral high ground. Once that's gone, then they can all be honest and bond with each other about their criminally reprehensible ways to a better future.
    You're fundamentally misunderstanding why people like Emma or Magneto.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    You're fundamentally misunderstanding why people like Emma or Magneto.
    Is it because of their "complexity"? That they are grey characters who straddle the line between hero and villain (anti-heroes)? That they are pragmatically ruthless? How different is that from Xavier? Do people like Emma and Magneto then because they are good looking and don't like Xavier because he's bald and looks like Mr. Clean?

Mighty Member

It truly boggles the mind that Xavier gets treated so bad and characters like Emma gets praise. If you substituted X for Emma in this issue and the story played out the same all the X haters would be praising Emma and calling her a badass. I for one like X, he gives zero fucks and is no longer concerned with what the X-men think. In the end he did the right thing in stopping Lucifer. Hands down Xavier has done far more good for the world than ill, without him the X-men don't exist and the world is worse off as a result. He was never a saint but to see all the retcons making him out to be the biggest bastard in the MU is crap. Cyclops or Emma makes a heel turn or does bad things and people say its bad writing or dumb editors. Xavier does bad things the same people say its because he's a awful, despicable person/character. People want to give Emma a pass for everything she does, no matter how appauling. They will defend, excuse, ignore and justify any and every vile thing she does. Some will even laud her actions, but in their eyes Charles is just the absolute worse. This was a fine issue, X did what needed to be done and the X-men came off as ungrateful brats (our lives are so awful because of you) as if without Xavier they would have been better off. Given attitudes towards mutants back then its highly doubtful. I hope to see more of X in the future, he's extremely powerful, can really shake things up and make a major impact on mutant affairs going forward. I want to see more interaction between him and the X-men, also meeting Mags is a must. In closing, Xavier/X is a great addition to the landscape of the X-men, and dispite the haters I hope he's around and prominent for the foreseeable future.

Is it because of their "complexity"? That they are grey characters who straddle the line between hero and villain (anti-heroes)? That they are pragmatically ruthless? How different is that from Xavier? Do people like Emma and Magneto then because they are good looking and don't like Xavier because he's bald and looks like Mr. Clean?
    Because of how they were introduced. They were both remorselessly evil when they first appeared, suffered massive tragedies that were partially self-inflicted, and started on the path to finding a better way, occasionally stumbling along the way.

Xavier was introduced as the benevolent mentor of the X-Men, the champion of mutant rights and never using force unless absolutely required. The one who would forgive even the worst enemies in the name of finding a peaceful way to coexist. Since then, he has spiraled further and further away from that into being a dangerous hyper-controlling extremist.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    It truly boggles the mind that Xavier gets treated so bad and characters like Emma gets praise. If you substituted X for Emma in this issue and the story played out the same all the X haters would be praising Emma and calling her a badass. I for one like X, he gives zero fucks and is no longer concerned with what the X-men think. In the end he did the right thing in stopping Lucifer. Hands down Xavier has done far more good for the world than ill, without him the X-men don't exist and the world is worse off as a result. He was never a saint but to see all the retcons making him out to be the biggest bastard in the MU is crap. Cyclops or Emma makes a heel turn or does bad things and people say its bad writing or dumb editors. Xavier does bad things the same people say its because he's a awful, despicable person/character. People want to give Emma a pass for everything she does, no matter how appauling. They will defend, excuse, ignore and justify any and every vile thing she does. Some will even laud her actions, but in their eyes Charles is just the absolute worse. This was a fine issue, X did what needed to be done and the X-men came off as ungrateful brats (our lives are so awful because of you) as if without Xavier they would have been better off. Given attitudes towards mutants back then its highly doubtful. I hope to see more of X in the future, he's extremely powerful, can really shake things up and make a major impact on mutant affairs going forward. I want to see more interaction between him and the X-men, also meeting Mags is a must. In closing, Xavier/X is a great addition to the landscape of the X-men, and dispite the haters I hope he's around and prominent for the foreseeable future.
    Except none of what you're spouting is remotely accurate.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Because of how they were introduced. They were both remorselessly evil when they first appeared, suffered massive tragedies that were partially self-inflicted, and started on the path to finding a better way, occasionally stumbling along the way.

Xavier was introduced as the benevolent mentor of the X-Men, the champion of mutant rights and never using force unless absolutely required. The one who would forgive even the worst enemies in the name of finding a peaceful way to coexist. Since then, he has spiraled further and further away from that into being a dangerous hyper-controlling extremist.
    So Magneto and Emma are given a pass because before they wanted to use their terrible actions for evil and now they want to use their terrible actions for good? While Xavier who has always wanted to use his terrible actions for good is not? That's unfair.

So Magneto and Emma are given a pass because before they wanted to use their terrible actions for evil and now they want to use their terrible actions for good? While Xavier who has always wanted to use his terrible actions for good is not? That's unfair.
    No.

Emma are Mags are trying to be better. Charles is trying to be worse.