Default What comics have “lured” you away from your favourite format?

A few years ago I tended to favour floppies. If interested in a particular run...that was the option I favoured, and costed out first. Only if they were ruinously expensive, did I wander into the dark world of trades, omnis, etc.

Then the faff of bagging and boarding, storing them in boxes, etc got too much and I “converted” to digital...and I thought my days of hunting down floppies were over.

But always had a hankering to get the Grimjack issues I’ve not read...and a thread started by mrbrklyn over in DC topics has got me interested in Ms Tree.

A quick check has shown neither series is available in digital..so have decided, for one last time, to hunt down physical comics.

Anybody else lured away from their usual favourite format recently? If so, why? (Price? Availability? Or some other reason?)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I used to track down floppies of older series that had since ended/been canceled, and had little to no hope of ever being collected. However these days, so many unexpected runs are being collected that I've become more patient.

A perfect example is a lot of the Vertigo trades from the last few years (Kid Eternity, Flinch, et al), and the Superman/Wonder Woman and Justice League America books.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'll compromise and get tpb if hc isn't an option. I only buy digital if tpb isn't even an option or on a nice sale for single run volumes like maxi-series The Vision or when hc is super dear, like Chew.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I used to buy quite a lot of floppies, then floppies and TPBs until I discovered Omnibuses, Absolutes and OHCs. I also buy MMWs of my favourite characters i.e. Daredevil and Spider-Man. Omnibuses have quelled my desire for any TPBs and my purchase of floppies has diminished to a minimum. However, I will pick up Epic Collections and possibly any other "one-off" TPBs for stories/runs that have not been oversized - this would only be the case for Daredevil and any exceptional Spider-Man or possibly Captain America stories. I'll buy the occasional No. 1 or anniversary single issue such as Daredevil #600, Captain America #700, Action Comics #1000, Spy Seal #1 and Oblivion Song #1. I also got tired of storing floppies, as well as the fact that it doesn't help that they're stowed away out of sight. The new Marvel character designed comic boxes are very pretty, though.

I was initially extremely impressed with Absolutes and started a small collection, but will now stay clear unless it's a mini-series that truly deserves the Absolute treatment. I only have eight and I'm very happy with what I have with no desire to expand my collection unless I can get hold of JLA/Avengers at a decent price.

I'm also wary with OHCs and do not always purchase those I'm interested in immediately as some of the material gets published at a later date in Omnibus or different larger format. A good example being Wolverine Origin and Origin II later appearing together in the Complete Collection OHC and the Daredevil Waid material from OHCs to Omnibuses (I was also picking up the floppies at the time of their release but stopped midway through Waid's second run).

It really is Omnibus/OHC all the way for me.

Incredible Member

I prefer a reasonbly sized omnibus. I will fill in gaps happily will epics. I also have mmw's for stuff I was reasonably sure would not be in omnibus format anytime soon. Ie: stuff like DD 9-12 and Doctor Strange 7-8. Omnibus for next Daredevil will likely cover mmw 5-8 etc. What would take me way from my preferred formats are situations where I dont feel like waiting for a collected oversized edition. I recently decided to get the Swamp Thing trades as it will be a long while for the series to be collected in Absolute whenever that happens.