Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Also, should Spider-Man have a New York accent? I mean, a noticeable one.

I think he once referenced having an NYC accent, but in all media where his voice is heard, he just has a generic American accent not specific to NYC. I usually read him imagining the voice of either Christopher Daniel Barnes or Josh Keaton, or Yuri Lowenthal as of late. I know some people from NYC have more noticeable New York accents than others, I guess it depends on a lot of factors. It's honestly hard to imagine Spidey with that kind of accent but only because I wouldn't be used to hearing it.
    New York accents are very present in the boroughs than they are in Manhattan. If he was written in the 60's, he probably would sound like a young Stan Lee. Not everyone in the boroughs have an accent. Regional accents are very stigmatized in the US, so I'm not surprised they gave him a neo-California influenced accent. The one from the 90's tv show seemed more neutral.

Extraordinary Member

I guess I sort of read him as having a rather subtle one? Like, something that comes out when he's excited or something, but normally isn't too out there. For some reason, I always thought Flash would have a more noticeable one than Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I guess I sort of read him as having a rather subtle one? Like, something that comes out when he's excited or something, but normally isn't too out there. For some reason, I always thought Flash would have a more noticeable one than Peter.
    That's because movies and tv have marketed accents as something bullies or backwards people have. They still do that today. It's always the taxi driver, the garbage person, the government employee, the mechanic, etc. When Peter and Cap America had that fighting scene in Civil War, people laughed at the theater because they're portrayed more like the stereotypical people from middle America than stereotypical New Yorkers.

I always assumed Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch would've had accents. Not Black Widow; as a spy, I thought she'd be able to suppress it.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Bringing this back up because it's on my mind lately:

How thick of a Russian accent should Illyana Rasputin aka Magik have?

I know she's from Russia, specifically Siberia, but she moved to the United States when she was a kid alongside her big brother Piotr and has spent most of her time there. Currently, she's mobile while based in Krakoa (we'll see how long Krakoa lasts in general, as I think it'll only be a matter of time before the X-Men call Westchester home again). Then of course, we must factor in the seven years she was in Limbo...

I always imagine Piotr as having a thick one, because he's older and spent more time in Russia, but I have a hard time imagining the same with Illyana. How should she logically sound?
    There's an argument that neither has a Russian a accent when slamming English because they learned it telepathically from Professor X. It would help explain why no one thought Peter Nicholas was Russian when he went through the Siege Perilous.

That being stupid, I've always given both of them thick Russian accents in my head.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

How thick of an Australian accent should Boomerang have?

I've mainly read him as having one, but apparently he was merely born in Australia but has lived in the US since childhood. Come to think of it, he's not written as having an accent like that (compare Fred to Digger Harkness over in DC). In fact, other than using boomerangs and calling himself Outback for a time, he doesn't seem to act like a stereotypical Australian. It's weird because he's written as being just Australian enough to make that relevant, but that hardly defines his characterization. He was a pro baseball player, and idk if baseball is really a thing in Australia.

So should Boomerang have a normal American accent or having some level of an Australian one?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    Agreed. But I like the idea that Natasha would speak in her natural Russian accent in her unguarded moments with friends & lovers.
    Black Widow's natural accent when speaking English would probably be an American one. Considering her training I can't picture her sounding like someone who speaks English as a second language even when relaxed.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

What kind of accents would Shang-Chi and Danny Rand have.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    What kind of accents would Shang-Chi and Danny Rand have.
    for better or worse, i always hear Shang as Jackie Chan. and Danny's kind of a Californian surfer guy with hints of asian influence.

How thick of an Australian accent should Boomerang have?

I've mainly read him as having one, but apparently he was merely born in Australia but has lived in the US since childhood. Come to think of it, he's not written as having an accent like that (compare Fred to Digger Harkness over in DC). In fact, other than using boomerangs and calling himself Outback for a time, he doesn't seem to act like a stereotypical Australian. It's weird because he's written as being just Australian enough to make that relevant, but that hardly defines his characterization. He was a pro baseball player, and idk if baseball is really a thing in Australia.

So should Boomerang have a normal American accent or having some level of an Australian one?
    his background doesn't matter (to me). the fact that he uses a boomerang and is from australia instantly makes him sound like Mel Gibson to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I always assumed Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch would've had accents. Not Black Widow; as a spy, I thought she'd be able to suppress it.
    all i know is that she's a lot less sexy when it's just an american accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    his background doesn't matter (to me). the fact that he uses a boomerang and is from australia instantly makes him sound like Mel Gibson to me.

all i know is that she's a lot less sexy when it's just an american accent.
    Mel Gibson speaks with an american accent. Maybe he still speak with an aussie accent at home with his family.

The Maximoffs probably still have accents. I thought it was weird for Wanda to pick up a californian accent while living in Scotland in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Mel Gibson speaks with an american accent. Maybe he still speak with an aussie accent at home with his family.
    right. but i'm referring to his aussie accent (i've heard it in interviews). that's what i hear when i read Boomerang. Fred isn't an actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    right. but i'm referring to his aussie accent (i've heard it in interviews). that's what i hear when i read Boomerang. Fred isn't an actor.
    Also Gibson’s brother voiced Captain Boomerang in the Justice League show and there are people like the Nolan brothers where Chris has an English accent but Jonathan has an American accent.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I was thinking about Toad recently. And he never seemed like he had a British accent to me. But I think it was Peter David who established he was British. And in the Spider-Man issue where the Misfits were formed, people at the bar commented on his accent. But still, he didn't have one in any of the cartoon series. And then there was the retcon that he was born in the UK but in a stasis pod in the States as a baby. And then later, he went to an orphanage. Which I'm not sure where that would be. To fit what David established I think, I guess that would mean in Britain. But I still have trouble thinking of him having a British accent, and I guess it could be retconned that he was raised in American and in that story, he learned putting on a British accent after learning that's where he was born. I don't know. A lot of characters who don't speak in General American have words and phonetic spelling that indicate such accents and I don't think we ever got that with Toad. But I realize that a lot of British characters probably didn't get that treatment either.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I definitely think more writers write Colossus with an accent then they do Illyana, although I think it would be more present then Black Widow's.

I remember the Marvel Heroes game did have her with a fairly noticeable Russian accent.
    You know who makes sense to have a thick accent? Arkady Rossovich. He doesn't seem to have spent that much time trying to learn, thus has a heavy accent when he bothers with English.