Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Magik (russian)
    Karma (vietnamese)
    Magma (latin/italian?)

PS: Do the Asgardians have a real accent?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post

PS: Do the Asgardians have a real accent?
    I like to think they sound Swedish...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrzwpZfONXY

Taskmaster has a thick Brooklyn accent I believe.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I think that since there is so much stigma and discrimination in the US when it comes to accents, they use General American in cartoons, films, and video games for a lot of characters that should have accents. Like Professor X should have a NY accent, but they give him a quasi-British accent because he's supposed to be wise. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby had NY accents, but you could hear Stan Lee tone it down sometimes. I think they heard the voices of the characters they created as people around them.

I would imagine Sue Storm to have a Jaqueline Kennedy accent or perhaps a less nasal Lois Griffin accent.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Some books have made note of Wanda having an accent and not having an accent. It's completely weird and inconsistent. She and Pietro were born in Serbia (as confirmed by Wanda's solo), so that's where Wundagore Mountain is considered to be located. They also were born and raised Roma. And Romani who are even in America for a lot of years, even generations have accents. So I'd say they should have accents. I'm not sure what happens at Marvel. What their position on it. But it's a weird Americanization of the twins.
    The actors in the MCU films said they did a Balkan region type accent for Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch and I saw a number of fans and critics complain about them doing bad Russian accents

Sokovia/Transia are both supposed to be located in South eastern Europe any sort of Balklan - Romanian/Serbian/Bulgarian/Bosnian ect type accent would sound about right.

Scarlet witch had a similar regional accent in the avengers united they stand cartoon series.

Mister Sinister has a Victorian London upper class accent.

High Evolutionary is originally from Manchester so I like to think he has a Mancunian accent despite him having lived in various different places.

I always imagine Storm to sound Kenyan
    Last edited by chamber-music; 09-15-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    The actors in the MCU films said they did a Balkan region type accent for Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch and I saw a number of fans and critics complain about them doing bad Russian accents

Sokovia/Transia are both supposed to be located in South eastern Europe any sort of Balklan - Romanian/Serbian/Bulgarian/Bosnian ect type accent would sound about right.

Scarlet witch had a similar regional accent in the avengers united they stand cartoon series.
    Yeah, in Wanda's solo they confirmed it as Serbian. But also they'd have the Romanes influence. Probably more greatly than the Serbian one.

The United they Stand accent was not great either...
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah, in Wanda's solo they confirmed it as Serbian. But also they'd have the Romanes influence. Probably more greatly than the Serbian one.

The United they Stand accent was not great either...
    The only time in the comics I can think of Wanda's accent being mentioned was in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (2004) bu Joe Casey and Scott Kolins. As well as an X-men: First Class back-up strip where according to Jean Wanda had lost her accent but that was sort of a joke strip.

The United We Stand accent was awful and her actress was Greek

Also for accents don't forget the Orish and Scottish accents as well as the Limey Australian Pyro

I feel like Doctor Doom should have an Eastern-European accent, but adaptations always portray him with a booming yet still distinctly American one.

Writers tend to over do Chamber's accent. A lot the character's dialogue is all "cor blimey guv'nor, bloody sunshine" which sounds like a bad caricature and dated way of speaking for teenager/twenty something Londoner.

Chamber's accent is probably Estuary English If they want to be more accurate to real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I feel like Doctor Doom should have an Eastern-European accent, but adaptations always portray him with a booming yet still distinctly American one.
    That or a pompous British or German accent

Spectacular Member

being from the far side of the pond I find on the whole all comics (predominantly from the US) have a shocking time writing English accents. I have lived on and off in England for 35 of my 43 years and I can honestly say I have never heard anyone use the expression cor blimey, and only the rarest of cockneys saying guv'nor. I find the way they write English accents in comics seems far more Australian than English. It is often quite painful reading these accents. Old school Excalibur had some horrendous English terminology that hasn't been used in real life since what feels like the 1860s

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    The only time in the comics I can think of Wanda's accent being mentioned was in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (2004) bu Joe Casey and Scott Kolins. As well as an X-men: First Class back-up strip where according to Jean Wanda had lost her accent but that was sort of a joke strip.

The United We Stand accent was awful and her actress was Greek
    Yeah and the other one where they mentioned she didn't have an accent was that infamous New Avengers issue. Where Beast mentioned it. But Wanda is just one of those characters that's left up to individual writer interpretation.

But like I said, in actuality she'd still have a Romanes one. That isn't something tied to any particular region. If indeed the Serbian one wore off somehow. There are about a million Romani in the states, and they've still have their accents because they still actively use Romanes. It's not usually something abandoned, even if someone decides to live outside of their Romanipen.

Comics I don't think really strive to be that accurate and tell stories in general from a general American perspective. Which focuses more on the American English language. It'd be interesting though if they ever got someone who understands that background to give a better interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    That or a pompous British or German accent
    Hungarian likely. Since according to Handbooks, Latveria was in that location.