Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Characters with accents (that aren’t General American)

We know that comics are a visual medium, so we don’t know all the time which characters have accents and which don’t. So, here’s the place to document the characters you know have accent or you think have accents. (By having an accent, I’m referring to something other than the General American accent. Something most Americans would consider to be speaking without an accent.)

Here are the ones that I can think of.

Colossus (Russian)
    Nightcrawler (German)
    Black Panther (Wakandan)
    Storm (thin Egyptian)
    Blade (British)
    Captain Britain (British)
    Psylocke (British)
    Jamie Braddock (British)
    Meggan (British)
    Rogue (southern)
    Cannonball (southern)
    Husk (southern)
    Gambit (Cajun)
    Sabra (Israeli)
    Rocket Raccoon (British)
    Omega Red (Russian)
    Northstar and Aurora (French Canadian)
    Batroc (French)
    Sunfire (Japanese)
    Armor (Japanese)
    Banshee (Irish)
    Moira MacTaggert (Scottish)
    Morbius (Greek)
    Red Skull (German)
    Baron Zemo (German)
    Arnim Zola (German)
    Kraven the Hunter (Russian)
    Pyro (Australian)
    Crimson Dynamo (Russian)
    Lucia von Bardas (Latverian)
    Kristoph Vernard (Latverian)
    Pete Wisdom (British)
    Abomination (Russian)
    Rhino (Russian- though I don’t like the retcon that made him Russian in the first place and think it doesn’t fit)
    Manifold (Australian)

Then comes my own interpretations that I’m sure some people will disagree with. I don’t see Magneto or the Maximoff twins having accents. Magneto comes off to me as someone who would have learned it when learning the language. Pietro and Wanda also come off as having dropped accents quickly upon learning the language. Perhaps through their powers. Doom is a perfectionist. He comes off as someone who wouldn’t dare learn a language without also learning the precise way of speaking it. Therefore, I can see him speaking English in a Mid-Atlantic dialect. I can also see Namor speaking with a Mid-Atlantic dialect because he just comes off that way. Plus the location of Atlantis being in between America and Europe and all that. Thor and the Asgardians, I picture with Mid-Atlantic accents as well. Hammerhead would probably have a New York mob accent. And Black Widow can speak in whatever accent she wants presumably.

So, what do you guys want think? Any disagreements? Additions?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) has been confirmed by both Bendis and Dennis Hopeless to have a British accent.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I never really considered the possibility of Storm having an Egyptian accent, nor the fact that she speaks Egyptian Arabic. The idea of Storm saying "Bebsi" or "Al-Gazeera" is pretty amusing.

I think a lot of Marvel heroes should have pronounced New York accents, but I'm not 100% sure on which ones. Hawkeye feels like someone who has at least some kind of non-standard accent, maybe a mix of New Yorker speech and carnie speaking habits.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 08-15-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) has been confirmed by both Bendis and Dennis Hopeless to have a British accent.
    And her enemy, Sybil Dvorak (Skein) is from Romania.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'm glad to hear Hopeless confirmed the British accent. I was worried that was a Bendis-only thing. I'm going to focus on American characters who don't have what is thought of as the generic American accent (which is more or less a midwestern accent). I'll leave aside characters that can be unknown (I suspect Jim Rhodes has a Philadelphia African American accent, but most people don't know what a Philly accent is so it's not going to have textual support beyond where he grew up). That being said, as far as I'm concerned, I took some inferences that I think are fair:

Jubilee - California/San Fernando Valley accent
    Boom Boom - Southern accent/western Virginia (I know this isn't spelled phonetically, but I'm willing to bet on it given her trailer park roots)
    Cannonball - Southern/Kentucky accent
    Husk - Southern/Kentucky accent
    Skin - East Los Angeles Chicano accent
    Gambit - Cajun accent
    The Thing - New York accent (specifically the old-time New York accent that's going somewhat extinct)
    Spectrum - New Orleans accent
    Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers - slight Boston accent (this one might be controversial. When Rogue had Carol's personality come to the forefront, Mike Rossi noted that she was speaking in a Boston accent, but no attempt was done to write it phonetically. I would suggest that it's an accent she's more or less buried while her father has a thick Boston accent).

Since the overwhelming majority of the Marvel universe is based in New York, I strongly suspect at least some of them have New York accents, but I didn't want to assume anything.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Wolverine and Deadpool - Canadian (I don't know which parts they are from to be more specific)
    Sue and Johnny Storm - Long Island accent (Kind of shocked that when I think about it they likely have typical New Yorker accents)
    Last edited by Crimz; 08-15-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I don't know if it's part of the comics canon, but the movie said that Deadpool is from Saskatchewan so I'm going with that.

Are Johnny and Sue from Long Island? Not everyone from New York has an accent, but I've never met someone from Long Island that doesn't have one.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Elektra's gotta have one. I think Soule incorporated it in one of Elektra's appearances in his DD run, something about playing up her accent when she wants something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I don't know if it's part of the comics canon, but the movie said that Deadpool is from Saskatchewan so I'm going with that.

Are Johnny and Sue from Long Island? Not everyone from New York has an accent, but I've never met someone from Long Island that doesn't have one.
    Yeah they were born and raised there. Reed is the only member of the Fantastic Four not from New York. He's Californian.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    And Black Widow can speak in whatever accent she wants presumably.
    Agreed. But I like the idea that Natasha would speak in her natural Russian accent in her unguarded moments with friends & lovers.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Yeah they were born and raised there. Reed is the only member of the Fantastic Four not from New York. He's Californian.
    Oh God, then they do have Long Island accents...

*shudders*

Nice idea for a thread, Kurt As someone who often "hears" the characters in my head, this is very informative!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Wolverine and Deadpool - Canadian (I don't know which parts they are from to be more specific)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    There is no such thing as a typical Canadian accent. Someone from the East coast or the Maritimes might speak with a slighty different accent than someone west. Even the French-Canadian accent can vary from one region to another (both in French AND English ) And we do not say "aboot" :P Generally, the average Canadian and American roughly sound the same, at least to my French-Canadian ear
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Generally, the average Canadian and American roughly sound the same, at least to my French-Canadian ear
    Well, from my American ear, they don't sound alike. There's something distinctly Canadian. I agree completely there's no one Canadian accent (even leaving aside French-Canadian), but there are aspects to Canadian accents that are unique to Canada and don't cross the border (while there are other aspects that the Northern accent of Minnesota, etc. shares with Canada).

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Tasmanian Devil - Australian obviously.
    Captain Boomerang - Horribly cliched Australian
    Gateway - Australian aboriginal (does anyone know what mob?)

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Rocket Raccoon with a British accent?

Here are the accents I hear in my head when I read certain characters:

Hawkeye with a British/Sherwood Forest accent
    Ant Man (pym) with a South American fire ant accent
    Swordsman with a French (Norman coast French) accent
    Mantis with a North Vietnamese accent (her uncle was from the north)
    Rulk with a Australian mixed with Western Texas accent
    Thing with a Yancy Street accent (a distinct difference from queens or yonkers)
    Mandrin with a Iranian accent (don't know why on this one)
    Spider Man with a metro-sexual lower east side accent
    Capt. Marvel (Carol) with a Kree/mixed with Rom accent (but without the buzzing of the robot synth buzz that frequently accompanies robot type heroes)
    Vision with an Icelandic by way of Norway with Danish parents accent
    Dr. Doom with a Polish accent tinged with a Northern Ireland drawl, topped with a Romanian lisp accent

that's all for now!
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!