Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

It’s weird because Silver Sable is from Symkaria, which borders Latveria, and she’s always portrayed with an accent.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    That or a pompous British or German accent
    I just think that Doom being Doom, whatever language he uses he makes sure to speak fluently and precisely. I think he would sound more like Yul Brynner, who claimed to have Romani mother (although I don't know if that was proven or not) or maybe like the late Herbert Lom, who was born in Czechoslovakia but appeared in British films, even playing the Phantom in Hammer's version of Phantom of the Opera. Both had slight accents and tended to use the British pronunciations. Of course Brynner also played a gun slinger in the Magnificent Seven but never bothered to do a Western twang

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Hungarian likely. Since according to Handbooks, Latveria was in that location.
    Yeah Latveria does have a border with Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah and the other one where they mentioned she didn't have an accent was that infamous New Avengers issue. Where Beast mentioned it. But Wanda is just one of those characters that's left up to individual writer interpretation.

But like I said, in actuality she'd still have a Romanes one. That isn't something tied to any particular region. If indeed the Serbian one wore off somehow. There are about a million Romani in the states, and they've still have their accents because they still actively use Romanes. It's not usually something abandoned, even if someone decides to live outside of their Romanipen.

Comics I don't think really strive to be that accurate and tell stories in general from a general American perspective. Which focuses more on the American English language. It'd be interesting though if they ever got someone who understands that background to give a better interpretation.
    I say she does have an accent, it just no-one really brings it up

Astonishing Member

Dracula has a Romanian accent. Id' imagine Living Lightning has a stereotypical 1990s cholo accent.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I say she does have an accent, it just no-one really brings it up
    This is the most likely thing.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Most of Alpha Flight to some extent have a Canadian accent. Northstar and Aurora definitely have a heavy french-canadian accent. Shaman probably has First Nation English accent and Talisman probably does to to a lesser extent. Marrina i'm sure has a Newfoundland accent since she was raised there. Guardian, Vindicator, and Sasquatch probably have mild accent while Puck has a heavy accent. I am not sure what sort of accent Snowbird has being raised by gods, but with as much time as she spent with Shaman I would think she would have picked up some of his First Nation English accent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Most of Alpha Flight to some extent have a Canadian accent. Northstar and Aurora definitely have a heavy french-canadian accent. Shaman probably has First Nation English accent and Talisman probably does to to a lesser extent. Marrina i'm sure has a Newfoundland accent since she was raised there. Guardian, Vindicator, and Sasquatch probably have mild accent while Puck has a heavy accent. I am not sure what sort of accent Snowbird has being raised by gods, but with as much time as she spent with Shaman I would think she would have picked up some of his First Nation English accent.
    Pucks pretty well traveled, I could see him having lost his accent, but the rest seems spot on.

I wonder if the Plodex have a language of their own, and if Marrina speaks (or at least, on an instinctive level, recognizes) it?

Captain America has a brooklyn accent

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Taskmaster has a thick Brooklyn accent I believe.
    maybe. but he's from the Bronx (according to his possibly falsified origin story).

just to save myself a post, his co-hort the Black Ant speculatively has a boston accent (having grown up there). Taskmaster said that he sounded like Jerry Lewis (a jersey guy), though.

Spectacular Member

I feel like Doctor Doom should have an Eastern-European accent, but adaptations always portray him with a booming yet still distinctly American one.
    There's always exceptions. The 90's Spider-Man the Animated Series Doctor Doom VA amped up the Easter European accent for his appearances in the Secret Wars episodes towards the end of the series.
    Last edited by GilGarciaJr; 09-16-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Bringing this back up because it's on my mind lately:

How thick of a Russian accent should Illyana Rasputin aka Magik have?

I know she's from Russia, specifically Siberia, but she moved to the United States when she was a kid alongside her big brother Piotr and has spent most of her time there. Currently, she's mobile while based in Krakoa (we'll see how long Krakoa lasts in general, as I think it'll only be a matter of time before the X-Men call Westchester home again). Then of course, we must factor in the seven years she was in Limbo...

I always imagine Piotr as having a thick one, because he's older and spent more time in Russia, but I have a hard time imagining the same with Illyana. How should she logically sound?

I'd imagine she'd be like Jessica Drew... she's spent most of her time in the US so any accent she has is probably pretty feint.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Bringing this back up because it's on my mind lately:

How thick of a Russian accent should Illyana Rasputin aka Magik have?

I know she's from Russia, specifically Siberia, but she moved to the United States when she was a kid alongside her big brother Piotr and has spent most of her time there. Currently, she's mobile while based in Krakoa (we'll see how long Krakoa lasts in general, as I think it'll only be a matter of time before the X-Men call Westchester home again). Then of course, we must factor in the seven years she was in Limbo...

I always imagine Piotr as having a thick one, because he's older and spent more time in Russia, but I have a hard time imagining the same with Illyana. How should she logically sound?
    I definitely think more writers write Colossus with an accent then they do Illyana, although I think it would be more present then Black Widow's.

I remember the Marvel Heroes game did have her with a fairly noticeable Russian accent.

Also, should Spider-Man have a New York accent? I mean, a noticeable one.

I think he once referenced having an NYC accent, but in all media where his voice is heard, he just has a generic American accent not specific to NYC. I usually read him imagining the voice of either Christopher Daniel Barnes or Josh Keaton, or Yuri Lowenthal as of late. I know some people from NYC have more noticeable New York accents than others, I guess it depends on a lot of factors. It's honestly hard to imagine Spidey with that kind of accent but only because I wouldn't be used to hearing it.