Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Default Review / Discussion -Weapon X #22 SPOILERS

This was a decent chapter. Nothing grand, but definitely a nice read.

An overview for anyone who doesn't wanna read, but just get a general picture.
    spoilers:
    We open on the preview pages with Mystique delivering the Nuke pills to a client, claiming she stole them off the Weapon X-Force team. Her client tries to double cross her, and the team swoops in. Domino starts shooting & Creed tells her to be careful as the tanks are full of gas. An explosion follows, taking out the goons and blowing money everywhere. Neena smiles and says she meant to do that. All that's left is gathering up the money & dividing it evenly among themselves.

Domino is ready to take her leave, since she got the money she wanted, but Creed tells her they have another job. Domino admits she's greedy, but she's now got more money than she can count. Creed tells her this gig isn't about money, which confuses Deathstrike who thought they were only about money now. Sabretooth finally explains the mission. Mystique got notification from Monet's parents to find her after she's disappeared and bring her back to them. Upon hearing the name, Deathstrike points out that Monet is Creed's ex-girlfriend, causing him to get defensive & tell her to shut up. He says it wasn't like -but he's cut off by Domino who finds it cute, so she's in.

Creed & Mystique head to the place of a strange cult. Mystique shapeshifts into a random woman, and takes a codename of Andrea Jorgenstern, and Creed is her guard, Dick Steele. They chat briefly about the mission, and Creed tells Mystique he cares about Monet like a sister he never had, which she doesn't believe. They get inside and we see the scene JDW posted weeks ago with the cult leader introducing a hooded figure. The figure is willing to cast her lot with them, and leave all her material possessions in atonement. The leader thanks her, and asks what she'd like in return. The figure says nothing, she only wishes to share the gift with another. The person she summoned there -Sabretooth. The hooded figure being Monet. Sabretooth drops his cover and claws his way through the crow, telling Monet to come with him, they're going to save her.

She appreciates the thought, but she brought him there to save him. She clobbers him, and Mystique calls the others for backup. Monet fights the Weapon X team, and they don't do so well against her, as she effortlessly clobbers Omega Red. Sabretooth goes after the cult leader, who is the mind-controller Mentallo. Before he can be manipulated, Deathstrike injects Creed with nanobots, protecting him from the effects. She does the same to Monet, who's snapped back to normal again & she's very pissed. Creed asks her who's saving who again & she mentions she was going to thank him but he makes it hard. Creed grins and tells her that he knows she loves him. They close in on Mentallo, before an explosion knocks them back. It's DEADPOOL, And he can't let them kill his boss.
    end of spoilers

Again, a nice read. This has been the best chapter since issue 18. It's nice to see Monet back. She's returned in her X-Factor duds. The book was still more light-hearted & silly, but it wasn't as cringey as some things we've been getting. So if it can at least maintain this level, and not get sillier, then it could be a decent enough read for as long as the series lasts, since it's unclear if it's cancelled in December, or if Van Lente is just leaving.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-17-2018 at 05:21 AM.

Man first somehow losing Laura in Florida on the way back from Murderworld and now losing Monet while she was in their care. The Xavier School staff are kinda bad at their jobs with in patients. Still it was definitely a nice surprise seeing Monet here (interesting that she’s gone back 2 costumes to her X-Factor look though) and seeing more of the fact that Sabretooth genuinely cares for her.

I want a DICK STEELE: IMAGINARY PRIVATE EYE miniseries and I want it yesterday, Cebulski.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Good issue. I like this book lately. I enjoyed the "weird" art though, especially that rendition of Mystique
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Man first somehow losing Laura in Florida on the way back from Murderworld and now losing Monet while she was in their care. The Xavier School staff are kinda bad at their jobs with in patients. Still it was definitely a nice surprise seeing Monet here (interesting that she’s gone back 2 costumes to her X-Factor look though) and seeing more of the fact that Sabretooth genuinely cares for her.
    Well Sabretooth has gone back about 10 costumes with this current one. lol It's the 90's again. So Monet's flip back to her X-Factor costume isn't as jarring as that. lol And it is better than her last costume in Bunncanny. But, Idk, none of Monet's costumes really hit the mark for me. It's like she hasn't found her look quite yet.

I did enjoy seeing her & Creed meet again. But the glaring hole needs to be filled on why they separated in the first place. Creed says she went bad after she was possessed, then disappeared. But he was with her then...

Funny Domino thinks about getting flowers for Warpath, then Mystique, Deathstrike, and Omega Red tell her chocolate is better. Mystique should definitely know. No telling how often she had to get chocolate for Destiny. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-16-2018 at 06:12 AM.

I've really been enjoying this series since I started reading it again. This issue was probably my favorite one so far. I like the comedy aspect of this series, and none of the comedy felt like it was a little forced this time. I was especially happy that Domino gave a reason for hanging around this particular group of characters that wasn't just about money. She only stayed to save Monet.

It's really nice to see Pak pick up on Creed and Monet's relationship plot from Bunn's Uncanny. I really liked those two togather.

Emma got a shout out

Fantastic Member

Ugh just when I thought that whole stupid Monet+Sabretooth thing hand been dropped and forgotten they dredge it up again honestly its the most stupid forced coupling the x-books have had in a very long time I'd rather see him start banging Mystique again.

This was great.

Throughly enjoyed it and definitely improved on the art compared to that atrocity of the last issue.

Sabretooth and Omega are super cool, Mystique was actually bearable and even Deathstrike was ok.

I do miss Warpath but this team and Sabretooth right now are on a good roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzystarr View Post
    I'd rather see him start banging Mystique again.
    Ugh, please no!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angrel-San View Post
    Ugh, please no!!!
    Agreed. He & Monet makes more sense than that mess.

But who says he's gonna be with Monet? He says he sees her like a sister. He could be lying because he's embarrassed. Or it could be the truth. Mystique didn't seem to think he cared about Monet when she scolds him to be serious and brushes off him saying he cared.

Things can go either way right now -far as pairings. Nothing concrete has been said or shown.

That's why I am reading with caution. Sabretooth may very well be banging Mystique. And since I don't wanna see it, I am gonna wait for chapter reviews before I read anything from here on out. I got the ok on this chapter. But 23 could be another story.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-17-2018 at 05:50 PM.

This issue was worth buying just to see Mystique.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I have to admit, this book has gotten WAY better as of late. I don't know if it's the addition of Van Lente, the change of focus to Sabretooth as the leader, the jettisoning of that horrible Hulkverine or a combination of all three, but it's working.

I feel like the first 12+ issues of this was trying to be KYost's X-Force, but it failed miserably. Since the Sabretooth v OML two-parter, it's started to find its own voice and, more importantly, its own unique lineup. Adding Omega Red to the roster was great, and making Sabretooth the leader is doing some real interesting things with his character. His voice still isn't 100% there, but it's leagues better than it was early on in the book. Also, who doesn't love the tiger cub?

As for the current arc, I love that they're at least acknowledging Creed and Monet's past, even if they seem to be changing the nature of it. While it was never made explicitly romantic in Uncanny, it was clearly headed in that direction, but now it's a sibling-type relationship.

Too bad spoilers:
    Deadpool
    end of spoilers had to go and show up. I hope his appearance is over quick.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Bunn mentioned on twitter that Creed x Monet were a torturous love.

It's unknown where they're gonna take it. Creed says they aren't romantic. But is it true, or is he lying yo hide his feelings? He appeared to flirt with her with that "I know ya love me" line. It's set up to keep you wondering. But can go either way.

Deadpool & Monet are in issue 24. They may be arc guest stars, or new team members.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-23-2018 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Spelling Error

I almost dropped this title thanks to the shitstorm of the last few arcs on top of the absolutely not-my-style of art the last few issues. I'm glad I held on. The I like the art much much better and this is a good start to a storyline. will Weapon X-Force be a new name or just a name of an arc? Definitely will finish the arc if it's just the one arc but I'm interested again.