Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Dark Horse loses Buffy license

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...se-dark-horse/

Dark Horse is really taking a pummeling, isn't it? Star Wars, Conan, Buffy and potentially other FOX properties as well (most notably Alien and Predator). I know they have a lot of video game tie-in stuff now but those titles hardly seem to make a difference in terms of overall sales. It'd be a real shame if DH goes under, they've consistently put out quality comics and quality collections throughout the years.

So: what are the odds that Marvel announce a New Buffy Line of Books when the Disney/Fox deal goes through- It’ll be just like all the Star Wars ones

iMan 42s

Is it even viable?

Star Wars made sense because Star Wars is a brand just as big as Marvel itself. It made complete sense to bring that under the Disney wing. The thing is however is I can't see Buffy have any sort of prominence under Marvel. Unlike Horror titles like Alien/Predator/Terminator or even Conan which can be retooled to the heart's content and despite poor sequels can still move product, when was the last time there was such mass appeal of Buffy? It's more likely it's going to get sent over to BOOM! than it is to end up at Marvel as Firefly is already over at BOOM!.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

ill be sad if we don’t get the rest of the Buffy library editions

Too bad Whedon never came through on this for Dark Horse:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...se-dark-horse/

Dark Horse is really taking a pummeling, isn't it? Star Wars, Conan, Buffy and potentially other FOX properties as well (most notably Alien and Predator). I know they have a lot of video game tie-in stuff now but those titles hardly seem to make a difference in terms of overall sales. It'd be a real shame if DH goes under, they've consistently put out quality comics and quality collections throughout the years.
    It sucks and it has to do with the consolidation of the media business. Marvel is a Disney company and anything in Disney, including Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel, and ABC TV will be funneled through Marvel now. Losing an independent Fox is a major loss, not just to Dark Horse, but the public overall. DC is Warner Bros... which is HUGE.

We are F**Ked and this is the F**ked generation.

And not just Dark Horse, but IDW. How much longer is Paramount and Star Trek going to remain independent?

The best thing they can do now is to work on independent film companies, with small budgets. There is not much there any longer. The days where George Lucus put out Star Wars as an indpendent film are almost all but over.

Incredible Member

Totally forgot that Firefly/Serenity has already moved over to BOOM, dang.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    It sucks and it has to do with the consolidation of the media business. Marvel is a Disney company and anything in Disney, including Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel, and ABC TV will be funneled through Marvel now.
    I don't know if Marvel did this just so they can now put out their own BtVS book. As has been mentioned, there is the possibility the franchise will be relaunched (with possibly an African-American lead as the new slayer?), so that could have factored in as well. Anything is possible as to why they did this.

All-New Member

Bloody annoying. I hope Marvel continue the current continuity. Annoyed at having to buy a Marvel title, but what can you do?

This is sad news from the standpoint that Dark Horse is one of my favorite publishers. I hate to see them lose yet another revenue stream. While I doubt that they would actually go under, they eventually might have to become a smaller operation if they can't find new publishing content to offset losses such as this.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Incredible Member

As is stated in the article, FOX owns a significant minority stake in BOOM so it makes sense that they've decided to move Firefly and potentially Buffy there. Will Alien & Predator follow? Because I don't see Marvel publishing those. Conan going to Marvel makes sense because the company has a long history with Conan. But then Disney, which ultimately owns Marvel and now FOX, has started putting out new Frozen and Incredibles comics at Dark Horse which kind of baffles me. Those books would seemingly fit well with the rest of Disney's output at IDW. So it's a bit hard to predict what will stay at Dark Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulftastic View Post
    Bloody annoying. I hope Marvel continue the current continuity. Annoyed at having to buy a Marvel title, but what can you do?
    Is there a reason you specifically think Marvel will suddenly start publishing new Buffy comic books? Have you heard they're definitely planning to do that?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Is there a reason you specifically think Marvel will suddenly start publishing new Buffy comic books? Have you heard they're definitely planning to do that?
    No, I just assumed. Now you've said that, I worry. Unless they can fold her into Marvel Continuity, they might not want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulftastic View Post
    No, I just assumed. Now you've said that, I worry. Unless they can fold her into Marvel Continuity, they might not want to.
    As mentioned by another poster, if they still plan to continue the series, they could do it through Boom! instead of Marvel.

But the fact that the series may be relaunched in the not-to-distant future could also mean any new Buffy series would be tied to the relaunched version.

We'll just have to wait and see if/when anything develops.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't know if Marvel did this just so they can now put out their own BtVS book. As has been mentioned, there is the possibility the franchise will be relaunched (with possibly an African-American lead as the new slayer?), so that could have factored in as well. Anything is possible as to why they did this.
    The the new vamp is supposed to be African American, from what I here. Buffy remains caucasion and Angel is turning Domincan.