Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

2018 will end with Superman appearing on the CW for a 3-part crossover. Even though we're technically already in the beginning of Clark's 9th decade, do you predict this crossover appearance will go down as a plus or a minus in Superman history?

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

While the Injustice games got a lot of attention when it comes to Superman in a game, there's still other stuff like the Lego Batman games and Lego Dimensions where you can play as Superman and these games show that there is a formula to make an actual good Superman games.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I think the worrying thing for me is how many of the really old school fans seemed to have slowly left the fanbase over this past decade or so. I'm talking about the guys that had been reading from back before the COIE and had a good memory of the character prior to it. The guys that use to argue with the post-crisis fans over what Superman was all about. I worry for a world where the understanding of the character is nothing but post-70's/modern times reinterpretations.
    I'm still here. Been reading since I was 11 or so (Superman 231 was my first). I just don't want my opinions to bog down someone else's enjoyment of the character, and I have some controversial opinions: Curt Swan's portrayal of the character held him back. Grant Morrison's idea of Superman isn't all that. Dan Jurgens is underappreciated and Louis Simonson and Jon Bogdonove are REALLY underappreciated, actually all of the creative talent from 1990 to about 1998 is underappreciated So I guess that makes it my favorite decade. Mike Carlin was the BEST Superman editor. Frank Miller's portrayal of the character is excellent in it's context, but if you take it out of that context so much is lost.

Any way, 2008-2018 started out dismally. Unfortunate too, because JMS really does have great writing chops. (His Thor is one of the best.) The highlight of the decade for me was Geoff Johns/John Romita Jr.'s run on the book. Greg Pak's Action stories were also excellent. I would love to see John Jr. work with Bendis (I noticed that he and Miller were on a post-it on Clarks computer in Action 1002). I really enjoyed Rebirth, in fact over all there were way more good years and good Superman stories in this decade than the last.

I try to restrict myself to the comics, so that's all I've got for now.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what was the official or unofficial 70th anniversary issue in 2008?

In 1988, the 50th anniversary was ACTION COMICS #600, as the conclusion of Super Decade 5.

In 1998, the 60th anniversary issue was SUPERMAN FOREVER #1, as the conclusion to Super Decade 6.

In 2013, the 75th anniversary issue was SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #1.

In 2018, the 80th anniversary issue was ACTION COMICS #1000 as the conclusion to Super Decade 8.

If there was no official 70th anniversary issue, what issue in 2008 would be your vote for the conclusion of Super Decade 7?
    Two candidates from me: Action Comics Annual #11.....just a great story. Just re-read it recently. Action Comics 869...death of Pa Kent. Great cover. Story is solid.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

So...the eighth decade...

I'm not quite as pessimistic as some have been so far in this thread...but yeah, overall not very good.

TV:

The last two seasons of SMALLVILLE were actually pretty decent and I was probably one of the few that weren't outraged or disappointed in the finale.I didn't need to see Tom Welling wearing Superman tights,just see Clark Kent become Superman. We got that in spades. I still find it ironic that one of the more " down to earth" interpretations of Superman in live action is the only one to date to be shown as powerful enough to push a freaking planet. Plus it paved the way for one of my favorite Superman comic series the last decade SMALLVILLE Season 11 (i.e. also known as how to do a simplified and revamped DC universe right...but that's another topic).

SUPERGIRL upon it's first season, was a pleasant surprise. The first season was well done and the season two opening episode with Superman were fantastic. Everything since though has mostly been meh. I still like Melissa Benoist and Tyler Hoechlin though.

MOVIES:

I really like the Snyder movies for the most part. I've liked Henry Cavill's Superman. I still don't quite understand the palpable rage MAN OF STEEL generated and I never will. However I understand why BvS is so divisive and I've accepted that while Snyder's Superman may have worked for me, for the mass audience it didn't and as much as I personally liked it overall, it was a failure of sorts. I don't have to like it but I accept it.

Comics:

This is where it really goes south. It started off fairly strong with the first third of The New Krypton saga but it felt like it just went down hill from here. We ended up with a reality where Superman wasn't the star of SUPERMAN and ACTION for most of a year, then when Superman finally got back one of his books ( the other was a showcase for Lex Luthor) , it was GROUNDED, which was insufferable for it's first half.

Then we got the New 52 reboot that COULD have been a great opportunity to fine tune the character but was ultimately squandered in a morass of never ending crossovers, constant creative team shuffles and questionable creative and editorial decisions overall. The nadir being TRUTH, which nearly broke my love for Superman comics and comics in general.

Now thats not to say there weren't bright spots in the new 52, and overall I liked the New 52 Supes as a character in concept. Often not though the execution was unfortunate. For every great writer and story ( Morrison and Pak's stuff was solid ) you had mediocre writers and bad stories ( anything Scott Lobdell after SUPERMAN #0. I won't go into why because my head may explode.

Thankfully it turned around with REBIRTH/REBORN. While it was far from perfect, it got the franchise back on track, restoring my hope for Superman's future. So far Bendis is doing very well.

So all in all...not great. However comics wise he's in better shape than he's been in since the early 2000's. Time will tell on the rest.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 08-27-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    So...the eighth decade...

I'm not quite as pessimistic as some have been so far in this thread...but yeah, overall not very good.

TV:

The last two seasons of SMALLVILLE were actually pretty decent and I was probably one of the few that weren't outraged or disappointed in the finale.I didn't need to see Tom Welling wearing Superman tights,just see Clark Kent become Superman. We got that in spades. I still find it ironic that one of the more " down to earth" interpretations of Superman in live action is the only one to date to be shown as powerful enough to push a freaking planet. Plus it paved the way for one of my favorite Superman comic series the last decade SMALLVILLE Season 11 (i.e. also known as how to do a simplified and revamped DC universe right...but that's another topic).

SUPERGIRL upon it's first season, was a pleasant surprise. The first season was well done and the season two opening episode with Superman were fantastic. Everything since though has mostly been meh. I still like Melissa Benoist and Tyler Hoechlin though.

MOVIES:

I really like the Snyder movies for the most part. I've liked Henry Cavill's Superman. I still don't quite understand the palpable rage MAN OF STEEL generated and I never will. However I understand why BvS is so divisive and I've accepted that while Snyder's Superman may have worked for me, for the mass audience it didn't and as much as I personally liked it overall, it was a failure of sorts. I don't have to like it but I accept it.

Comics:

This is where it really goes south. It started off fairly strong with the first third of The New Krypton saga but it felt like it just went down hill from here. We ended up with a reality where Superman wasn't the star of SUPERMAN and ACTION for most of a year, then when Superman finally got back one of his books ( the other was a showcase for Lex Luthor) , it was GROUNDED, which was insufferable for it's first half.

Then we got the New 52 reboot that COULD have been a great opportunity to fine tune the character but was ultimately squandered in a morass of never ending crossovers, constant creative team shuffles and questionable creative and editorial decisions overall. The nadir being TRUTH, which nearly broke my love for Superman comics and comics in general.

Now thats not to say there weren't bright spots in the new 52, and overall I liked the New 52 Supes as a character in concept. Often not though the execution was unfortunate. For every great writer and story ( Morrison and Pak's stuff was solid ) you had mediocre writers and bad stories ( anything Scott Lobdell after SUPERMAN #0. I won't go into why because my head may explode.

Thankfully it turned around with REBIRTH/REBORN. While it was far from perfect, it got the franchise back on track, restoring my hope for Superman's future. So far Bendis is doing very well.

So all in all...not great. However comics wise he's in better shape than he's been in since the early 2000's. Time will tell on the rest.
    TV: I wasn't a huge fan of Smallville. Michael Rosenbaum and Erica Durance were good as Lex and Lois, respectively, and there were some good episode and concepts here and then; but in my opinion, The premise of "the adventures of Clark Kent before becoming Superman" was already a tough sell, but by season 5, the show redid its whole premise and Clark ended up doing the things Superman does in his prime, but without the things that make him iconic (suit, flight, etc.). The finale doesn't even show Clark putting on the suit, just the House of El symbol underneath his shirt. So, in its final moments, the show reduced what was supposed to be a major historic moment into something that just barely qualifies as a cameo.

Movies: I actually enjoyed the Zack Snyder movies, but I can understand why some people would dislike them. I'm still looking forward to a true sequel to Man of Steel.

Comics: The New 52 was a chaotic time for Superman and his community. Heavily reworking Superman's status quo was already a tough sell, but the comic books greatly suffered because of their clear lack of direction and constant changes in the creative teams. The less said about Superman: Truth, the better. I'm glad Rebirth was a huge success because it introduced meaningful changes to Superman and his community. Jon's introduction means that Superman has a personal stake in his adventures: he has something to lose, something to go back to.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    THANK YOU!!!

It's like a lot of fans here completely forgot what a hot MESS the comics were in the early 2000s, while it had some bright spots it had some of the worse moments in the Superman comics and possibly the worst run the character ever had, which was Chuck Austen's run. True it was short due to Austen being take off the title but one page of his run is way worse than a single issue from either the JMS Grounded or TRUTH issues. That was a true dark age for the character.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

I don't read all the comics, but I do try to get the trades of the best/more popular stories.

But when it comes to TV and the movies, I think the character has been represented well enough. I mean, I wasn't a big fan of Smallville, but I know it was popular and many still love it.

Supergirl... I started watching that out of curiosity, and it grew on me. Not a great show by any means, but decent and entertaining. I just really hated their Superman.. and season 3 was awful, so I'm done with that show.

There is also those Lego movies. I hope kids love them. They are also important part of the audience.

And the live action Snyder movies have been divisive but they got many people into the character (younger people it seems..). I loved Man of Steel, I think it's a great movie for a modern Superman audience. BvS I like overall, but I don't love Superman's portrayal in it. And I really liked Justice League. I still really wish for my ideal Superman solo sequel, tho. I don't feel Henry's Supes has been done real justice yet. I strongly feel he needs his definitive story to firmly establish his legacy. Maybe MOS is that, but I need more..

However, I loved the animated Death of Superman movie. I think it's fantastic and it's probably my fave Superman movie of all time. Not sure it's part of the 8th decade, tho. All Star Superman was also wonderful. I still need to see the other animated movies. In general, as a Superman fan, I don't feel really disappointed. I feel fine, I just need more to feel Super!
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-27-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    I have some controversial opinions: Curt Swan's portrayal of the character held him back.
    That's kind of a surprise... but I think it has to be really agreeable in the sense that no matter who it is, one artist dominating any property for so long will just have certain cons.
    I like your other points, too. If I had to decide on the best decades, also being virtually comic exclusive as I am, I'd have to say 1968-1978 and 1988-1998.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolfan View Post
    Two candidates from me: Action Comics Annual #11.....just a great story. Just re-read it recently. Action Comics 869...death of Pa Kent. Great cover. Story is solid.
    I'm not sure why I don't like Last Son as much as I did at the time. The release schedule is the worst part I can remember... and I guess it's just that take on Zod or something. But I remember just loving that annual comic.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    THANK YOU!!!

It's like a lot of fans here completely forgot what a hot MESS the comics were in the early 2000s, while it had some bright spots it had some of the worse moments in the Superman comics and possibly the worst run the character ever had, which was Chuck Austen's run. True it was short due to Austen being take off the title but one page of his run is way worse than a single issue from either the JMS Grounded or TRUTH issues. That was a true dark age for the character.
    Austen is a victim of his own name. I'm sure in the next decade people will speak of Bendis with the same scorn they had for that poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That's kind of a surprise... but I think it has to be really agreeable in the sense that no matter who it is, one artist dominating any property for so long will just have certain cons.
    I like your other points, too. If I had to decide on the best decades, also being virtually comic exclusive as I am, I'd have to say 1968-1978 and 1988-1998.

I'm not sure why I don't like Last Son as much as I did at the time. The release schedule is the worst part I can remember... and I guess it's just that take on Zod or something. But I remember just loving that annual comic.

Austen is a victim of his own name. I'm sure in the next decade people will speak of Bendis with the same scorn they had for that poor guy.
    Lmao they're speaking of him that way right now. Still despite the opposition Bendis faced and still faces, sales have been pretty good so far. It's Action Comics where I think Bendis will leave a more permanent mark on the Super-mythos. Tomasi and Jurgens left their mark through Jon. Bendis seems poised to leave his mark in both the way Metropolis is perceived as a city, and the way it's citizens, both criminal and law-abiding, operate in Superman's shadow.

I forgot to mention the new show Krypton. I really enjoyed it, especially the second part of the season. Such a cool and even original story so far. That finale left me super excited. This is what I call good writing.

Superman is such a versatile character, he can be so many different things and has been so for decades. It keeps him fresh. He just needs a great movie that most people embrace..

Another positive note from this decade is that we got one of the few "good" Superman games, Superman on the IOS... Yes I know phone/tablet games aren't high on many gamers' list but that good got some decent response when it came out, which makes it even more depressing that a mobile phone game did Superman better than many major game console titles

Man, the last ten years of Superman comics have had so many different iterations of the Man of Steel that it's honestly hard to really say, but I think in general, pre-Flashpoint through the New 52 and into a post-Rebirth future, aided by the Cavill movies, the Hoechlin guest spots, and Justice League Action I can say with absolute certainty that Superman is looking way better than he did ten years ago!

And as someone without much regard for Bendis and some major reservations about Reborn, the fact I think it's so much better overall really says something about how good a lot of the material has been and how little regard I think DC was giving Superman in even his own media back in the previous decade, and the early parts of this last one.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

And they still write popular songs about Superman. Tell me which superhero gets that?

Master Hero Vladimir

When history looks back on New 52 Superman and his stories, it finds only untapped potential and good intentions.