Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Revanche: Kwannon Appreciation

revanche-bigcostume1.jpg

Original Kwannon Support Thread!

Return her to her beginnings.

Ultimate Member

I feel like there was a lot of backstory we missed on Kwannon. Did she have psychic abilities pre-mash-up with Betsy? (Even weak ones?) The Hand traditionally is composed of a bunch of identical faceless dudes, so she's already an outlier, which suggests that she was something exceptional, either in power or heritage or just accomplishments, and yet we've seen nothing of those, which makes her kind of a nobody, invented solely to 'Asian up' Betsy, with no real development beyond that, and that's a shame.

I'd definitely like to see more of her apart from her Betsification, either earlier adventures in flashback or experienced via time travel or visitation to an alternate universe where she never got her peanut butter all tangled up in Betsy's chocolate, or later adventures, post-Betsy-breakup, with her old persona in her old body, and no powers that come from Betsy, since I want to know who Kwannon is, not anything more about a mangled half-shadow of who she was.

Ultimate Member

Ugh, still with the double posts...
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-16-2018 at 04:56 AM.

I fully support her return!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like there was a lot of backstory we missed on Kwannon. Did she have psychic abilities pre-mash-up with Betsy? (Even weak ones?) The Hand traditionally is composed of a bunch of identical faceless dudes, so she's already an outlier, which suggests that she was something exceptional, either in power or heritage or just accomplishments, and yet we've seen nothing of those, which makes her kind of a nobody, invented solely to 'Asian up' Betsy, with no real development beyond that, and that's a shame.
    She was a low level empath prior to the body swap.

Decades later, this could be Kwannon's big break! I have always wanted her back and remained hopeful for her eventual return. She's practically a blank slate, wouldn't take a genius to work wonders with Kwannon's story.

I've always liked Revanche. She came out the worst of it when it came to the whole body/mind/meld/swap situation. I agree that there's much to explore with the character. As for her original abilities, Kwannon was stated to be an intuitive empath, at times displaying low-level telepathic abilities.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

It's sad how Kwannon was always a bit of a non-character, a mere plot device with little room for exploring her personality and backstory. I feel the whole body-swap thing would have been much better received if they just hadn't shied away from it all and actually explored the absurdity and complexity of the ordeal.

Was she always meant to succumb to the legacy virus? I feel like the writers were really going to flesh her out, and then out of nowhere decided to kill her off.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

I'm all for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    Was she always meant to succumb to the legacy virus? I feel like the writers were really going to flesh her out, and then out of nowhere decided to kill her off.
    She was a retcon. Nicieza created her to explain why Psylocke looked Asian and that was bc he didnt read the original issue where Claremont handled this. After realizing his mistake, he used the Legacy virus as a quick way to get rid of her and wrap up that plot. It didnt help that she was introduced just before Fatal Attractions and then Blood Ties. Those crossovers really ruined her narrative and made her exit feel even more rushed as she was barely there

I don't think that Kwannon will stick around after MiM, but I sure would like to see it happen. I've just always liked the character. And this would give the X-writers a chance to take an existing character and pretty much add to her back story however they wanted, and it most likely wouldn't leave overzealous X-fans pissed off at them for a change. They could have fun writing about her, and fans could enjoy reading about her.

And I agree with those who would like to see her keep her original powers and fighting abilities.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flameworthy View Post
    I fully support her return!

She was a low level empath prior to the body swap.
    Right. Not a true mutant but Spiral used Betsy's DNA to give Kwannon's body telepathic abilities as part of the body swap. This supposedly weakened Betsy's powers until Kwannon's death.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'm gonna seem like a hater but why do people want her back so bad? The people who are rallying this seem to barely know her backstory too.

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Right. Not a true mutant but Spiral used Betsy's DNA to give Kwannon's body telepathic abilities as part of the body swap. This supposedly weakened Betsy's powers until Kwannon's death.
    Kwannon was a mutant and a low level psychic. This was stated by Matsu'o. Combining with Betsy amped up those abilities while diminshing Betsy's.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm gonna seem like a hater but why do people want her back so bad? The people who are rallying this seem to barely know her backstory too.
    Untapped potential with a past shrouded in mystery.

I need Kwannon to still be alive! You could use her as a great morally ambiguous character!

I want to see her in some new armor too!