Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Do you think Warner Brothers should hire James Gunn to direct?

After Disney has officially stated they will not bring back James Gunn, do you think WB should get Gunn to direct? I don't agree with his statements but that was over a decade ago and hasn't caused any controversy since his work on GOTG franchise. Would you want him to direct any DC franchises? Personally I would love to see him become successful at the DCEU.

Absolutely. Disney messed up big time and DC if they're smart will pick him up. Wait a few months for everyone to be outraged over something else and then get him.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Without a doubt. Something like Green Lantern Corps, Doom Patrol, Metal Men, or anything like that. He has shown he can do teams very well.

From the Hype:

[QUOTE]

Should DC/WB hire James Gunn for Green Lantern Corps?
    Now that DisMar has forsaken him?

Hal Jordan - Katma Tui - Kilowog - Ch'p - Medphyl
    Peter Quill - Gamora - Drax - Rocket - Groot

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEdX4Q5XcAEPnVF.jpg
    ------ Medphyll - Hal Jordan - Kilowog - Ch'p - Katma Tui -----

He can just re-purpose a few characters, LOL at everyone thinking it's a copy, when they all existed before GotG

1- Hal Jordan/Peter Quill - 1- The Hero- Human, drifter with painful past, watched father die, never having a chance to say goodbye, or the answer he seeks; was his father (and by extension himself) a coward?. Now out to prove otherwise, the cocky and overconfident reckless Star Pilot, finds himself joining a team, discovering that with honest fearless will, he has the opportunity to put it to greater use, belong to something much bigger than just himself. A Corps of heroes charged with ...Guarding the Galaxy.

2- Katma Tui/Gamora - The exotic Alien heroine- From planet Korugar, like her mentor Sinestro before her. With her suspicious past connection, can she be trusted? Can she shake the distrust associated with her past "relations" and prove she is now one of the good guys? [or will her once mentor/father-figure use her to extend his own power?]

3- Kilowog/Drax- The Musclebound Alien Brawler, who watched his entire family get slaughtered (blames - Sinestro and Katma see above^), proud last survivor of his kind, out to satisfy revenge for his people, ...but does he really want to kill? Or at heart just want to belong and be part a new "family".

4- Ch'p/Rocket- The irritable Space-Rodent - Annoying, but cute cartoon caricature, might be overcompensating for his look and stature, carries a huge ch'p on his shoulder. Don't make the little guy angry.

5- Medphyll/Groot- The bizarre withdrawn sentient Tree life-form, linked to a cosmic eternally regrowing organic life force- no one really knows much about him, except he will grow on you.

6- Sinestro/Thanos - Villain bent on cosmic domination, collecting color power gems rings on hand, will use his Korugar legacy Katma [adopted daughter surrogate], to get what he needs. ...?

Z. Jordan's father & Mogo /Quill's father & Ego- Accused by Ferris of being a coward, died piloting a test ship going beyond the supraluminal. Though there was no body? Jordan out to prove himself, has perused the answer his whole life, fearlessly at times recklessly taking him to the stars, and beyond. Passed the will-powered ring by an alien, could the Giant Sentient Planet Mogo now hold the answers [his greatest fear and truth about his father] that he seeks? ]

LOL! [/Joke in case someone actually takes this seriously.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-25-2021 at 10:10 AM.

iMan 42s

I don't want to see a poor rendition of GOTG with Green Lantern. That's just a bad idea and if it fails, you further hurt the studio.

The thing is however is that its up to James Gunn to tackle a project like that and right now DC/WB are still struggling to figure out just what the Hell their brands actually are. I'm not sure DC/WB have any idea how to move forward with the brands seeing as every attempt has been bad to passable. A lot is riding on Aquaman and Shazam and to make matters worse, this could include more being pushed to the streaming services or TV so Gunn might not take it.

Keep in mind that DC should not be trying to catch up with Marvel but make good products first. A director is only as good as the materials given and Gunn and crew had a fresh slate for the most part with GOTG so they could do whatever they wanted. Green Lantern not so much. Also keep of note is that Green Lantern cinematically runs into the same problems books like Web Warriors did. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And so while it's cool to have all the Lanterns here, it's also uninspiring visually with all the translucent green everywhere.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I'm going to say no. For one reason, negative press. "DC highers fired Marvel director after controversy", it just won't end well. Someone asked me this with about the Valiant movies, and while I think he would do great on some of these titles, it's to muddy right now to higher him so soon.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I'm sure most studios would be happy to sign up James Gunn for a deal; Disney got a lot of backlash for how they handled this, and it's not like Gunn's offenses were recent or had actual victims.

That said, I'm not sure a Green Lantern (or Green Lanterns) movie is the right spot for DC. Sure, it hits the space adventure vibe, but to me Gunn seems more focused on themes like family and redemption. Now, his relation to women and feminism seems a bit troublesome, so Gotham City Sirens or Birds of Prey are probably not the best ideas. But Suicide Squad (either as a reboot or as Suicide Squad 2)? Seems right up his alley. Or a Batman movie that acts as a Robin origin story (though that probably falls under Matt Reeves)? Both Flash and Cyborg also have decent connections to themes that play to Gunn's strengths.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Absolutely. The DCEU is in desperate need of repair and an hiring an interesting director like Gunn for the right project can't hurt at all.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Absolutely! I think Gunn would make a great Lobo movie because he would get the joke that Lobo is supposed to be a parody of the “extreme anti-hero”. WB is so damn tone deaf that they want Michael Bay to direct a movie about a character that mocks what he represents. Gunn would bring a clever comedy aspect to The Main Man. Which is what they need if they have any chance of capturing some Deadpool-like success.

Would also love to see him direct a Plastic Man movie.

Incredible Member

I would’ve said yes but after seeing those pics of him that came out this week it would be a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Absolutely! I think Gunn would make a great Lobo movie because he would get the joke that Lobo is supposed to be a parody of the “extreme anti-hero”. WB is so damn tone deaf that they want Michael Bay to direct a movie about a character that mocks what he represents. Gunn would bring a clever comedy aspect to The Main Man. Which is what they need if they have any chance of capturing some Deadpool-like success.

Would also love to see him direct a Plastic Man movie.
    Exactly.

I can't see why this offer hasn't already been drawn up.

Ultimate Member

If you hired him-don't put him on something that would suffer from too many cooks in the kitchen (see Green Lantern & Justice League).

Also if you put him on a GL film-a film that would have too many eyes on it for how John Stewart would be treated, how Hal would be characterized and that is not even getting into plot or effects.

Give him something like Lobo, Plastic Man or something lower budget. Something that could cost around 30-50 million and survive a backlash-if it happens.

BANNED

I’m disgusted by Gunn’s tweets, but if WB hire him, I would have no problem with that.
    DC/WB needs a shot in the arm, maybe Gunn can provide it.

Hell yes.

Tweets were inappropriate, and I've seen the party pictures, but so far there is no proof the guys i a pedo or anything like that. Just a twisted sense of humor.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Gunn's a moron but so far there's no evidence he's actually sexually assaulted children at all. If WB/DC could get him on board I say do it.