Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Yes. I loved the first Guardian's movie, and the second one was definitely a good movie too. I think it'll be good to get away from space related stories though so it won't be another copy of Guardians though

Astonishing Member

Definitely.

Green Lantern Corps is an obvious choice and might be a good idea.

But why not a Legion of Superheroes movie?

I think Gunn would be perfect for LOSH. Cinematically, and in terms of wider pop culture, its pretty much a clean slate - not as much as GotG for certain but definitely more so than any of the 'core' Justice League brands.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Whatever James Gunn wants to do, let him do it. He's a talented guy who acted like an ass in his younger days. Who wasn't a giant asshat in their youth? Let he who is without moments of douchebaggery in their past cast the first stone.

If he and Geoff Johns see eye to eye, definitely go with Green Lantern Corps, although I could see why Gunn would want to do something entirely different than space opera. Lobo would also be too predictable, although if they get the same actor as Drax? Hell yeah.

I doubt Gunn wants to do another big budget superhero movie, but if they are paying him enough, he'll do whatever looks interesting to him.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

DC needs to develop its own vision and formula, an authentic vision and formula. Don't do Marvel movies with DC characters. Avoid Gunn.

My suggestion: Get Justin Lin as a director and Donald Glover as a writer, do an All-Star Squadron/Society of Super-Heroes movie. Use the multiverse concept as the backbone of the DCU vision.
    Last edited by Clairaudient Freedom Soldier; 08-17-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

For me, the answer is a definite no.

First, I really thought the Guardians of the Galaxy movie was stupid, so I don't want that sensibility brought over to DC.

Second, rightly or wrongly, James Gunn is currently radioactive, as Mike Carlin would say. Any major studio that hires him is just buying all his baggage and controversy for no reason. In particular, DC needs people talking about their MOVIES (in a good way), not spending all that Internet-time talking about the director INSTEAD of the movie.

The way for James Gunn to rebuild his career is by taking on some indy projects where that kind of controversy brings more attention to the movie than it would have ordinarily had. If he can put together a few indy blockbusters and enough years have gone by that Gunn's tweets are old news, then the studios can risk hiring him back with his image having been rehabilitated.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

One more point, if the multiverse is the conceptual backbone of the DCU vision, each movie can be even more distinct because each movie is a window into a parallel earth. Have a slow buildup to the mega crossover so that when the heroes of different earths finally collide (e.g., All-Star Squadron/SOS and the Justice League), it's truly an epic event.

Gunn is poison, find someone else.
    Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Second, rightly or wrongly, James Gunn is currently radioactive, as Mike Carlin would say. Any major studio that hires him is just buying all his baggage and controversy for no reason. In particular, DC needs people talking about their MOVIES (in a good way), not spending all that Internet-time talking about the director INSTEAD of the movie.
    It doesn't actually look like Gunn will have any trouble whatsoever finding gainful employment in Hollywood, and the only real controversy people are actually talking about is that Disney jumped the gun in firing him.

I'd rather not see Gunn direct any DC movies. I love the GotG films and I'm not the least bit offended by the stupid jokes he made (I take great issue with Disney's handling of things though) but I don't need to see WB/DC take any of Marvel's left overs in a ill-fated and poorly conceived attempt to rip off the competition's success.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member

Suicide Squad would be a good fit

Quote Originally Posted by Clairaudient Freedom Soldier View Post
    DC needs to develop its own vision and formula, an authentic vision and formula. Don't do Marvel movies with DC characters. Avoid Gunn.

My suggestion: Get Justin Lin as a director and Donald Glover as a writer, do an All-Star Squadron/Society of Super-Heroes movie. Use the multiverse concept as the backbone of the DCU vision.
    Isn't this a pretty big assumption?

If they hire him, I hope they put him on something that relies more on visuals and comedy then action...
    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think Gunn would be perfect for LOSH. Cinematically, and in terms of wider pop culture, its pretty much a clean slate - not as much as GotG for certain but definitely more so than any of the 'core' Justice League brands.
    I don't think I want to see Gunn re-define the Legion. I don't think they'd be a good fit for his sensibilities unless he drastically re-imagined them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If he and Geoff Johns see eye to eye, definitely go with Green Lantern Corps, although I could see why Gunn would want to do something entirely different than space opera. Lobo would also be too predictable, although if they get the same actor as Drax? Hell yeah.
    This just reminded me that Drax and Lobo share a VA in David Sobolov .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Absolutely. Disney messed up big time and DC if they're smart will pick him up. Wait a few months for everyone to be outraged over something else and then get him.
    thats so sneaky

Booster Gold

The supporting cast is already set with Goldstar, Rip Hunter and Skeets. There are plenty of characters and elements to incorporate like the Time Masters, Vanishing Point, Waverider, Chronos, Vandal Savage, The Ultrahumanite, Per Degaton, etc, as well as the very concept of time travel (and everything that comes with it) to play with.

The biggest plus I see with a Booster Gold movie though is that the characters aren't that well known, so there should be more leeway for creative license with everything (that way there isn't too much risk which is why I think DC/WB should be using lesser known characters to find their own successful cinematic formula before jumping back to their bigger characters and concepts like Green Lantern)

Ultimate Member

R.E.B.E.L.S. is the obvious answer

Extraordinary Member

He would be better on Suicide Squad, Secret Six, R.E.B.E.L.S, Legion, etc