Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

And when it comes to characters away from their time/realities, Cable is technically from 616, so there’s no reason to get rid of him. Bishop, Rachel, and Nate should also stay. The others ones should pretty much get put back in their universe (Miles, Jimmy, Old Man Logan etc.). Keep some clones like X-23, Ben Reilly, and Kaine. And Gabby? Get rid of her ASAP. Preferably in a way that makes it impossible to bring her back. Damn, I hate that character so much. Also, bring back the original Madrox, Loki, and Black Widow. Stop having their clones masquerading as them.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 08-16-2018 at 05:51 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    My hang up with Jess having a kid is that a she was on this really cool super spy/super hero route then all of a sudden she was fighting crime while being pregnant.

That whole thing just made her seem irresponsible and was really hard for me to read/get into. Since the whole time I was thinking "What a idiot". But I'm the guy who cringes when I see a pregnant mom lights-up a cigarette or casually drinking alcohol.
    Hopeless specifically had Jessica not fighting crime while pregnant. The volume where she's pregnant opens with Jessica bemoaning how she can't do superhero stuff anymore because she was pregnant. The comic is very explicit about this.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Hopeless specifically had Jessica not fighting crime while pregnant. The volume where she's pregnant opens with Jessica bemoaning how she can't do superhero stuff anymore because she was pregnant. The comic is very explicit about this.
    She shouldn’t when she has the kid either. It wasn’t thought out except to give her a hobby. Kids are not hobbies.

I was originally kinda against the idea of Jess being a mother, but Hopeless actually made it work so damn well that I think its one of the best things to happen to her.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    If you do, you’re creating a crappy life for your kid for your pleasure purposes only. Nothing 1950s about that.
    Your right! Its more like 1930s...

Seriously, if women want to raise their kids without a dad then let them. I have known plenty of people raised with one dad/mum and they all had normal childhood lives. Also, slight spoiler, but Jess does have a fella in her life as-of the final/latest Spider-Woman, so... yeah.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

She shouldn’t when she has the kid either. It wasn’t thought out except to give her a hobby. Kids are not hobbies.
    Kids aren't hobbies, but people are allowed to have children even if they have a dangerous career. People in the military, police, etc. all have children.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Your right! Its more like 1930s...

Seriously, if women want to raise their kids without a dad then let them. I have known plenty of people raised with one dad/mum and they all had normal childhood lives. Also, slight spoiler, but Jess does have a fella in her life as-of the final/latest Spider-Woman, so... yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Kids aren't hobbies, but people are allowed to have children even if they have a dangerous career. People in the military, police, etc. all have children.
    Nobody’s talking about situations that one falls into. Rather purposely bringing a kid into the world that you know will be deprived of a second parent and will spend little time with you. It’s essentially a hobby if the person puts their pleasure above the kid’s life. A kid doesn’t deserve to spend most of his childhood with a babysitter. Face it, Jessica decided to have the kid because she wanted something that would make her happy in what little she has of downtime. She did not think of the kid. She thought of herself.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 08-16-2018 at 07:33 PM.

BANNED

the extermination event may pull of a 180 degree reverse angle and have the analogs kill the "primes" based on the fact that they have brought young boy cable from Cyclops and Phoenix back who killed his elder prime self and is hot on scent of the other 05 not to mention he seems to have iced teen Bobby.

I think that women are well within their rights to raise a child as a single parent if they so choose. This isn't the 1950s.
    Indeed. This should go without saying in any era, but strangely the fight continues.

It has to be said that the Jubilee story was very clearly an attempt to write about a single mother not compromising and not being sidelined. It was part of what the story was about. I hope we see other writers pick up the ball and continue that interesting thread.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-17-2018 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    the extermination event may pull of a 180 degree reverse angle and have the analogs kill the "primes" based on the fact that they have brought young boy cable from Cyclops and Phoenix back who killed his elder prime self and is hot on scent of the other 05 not to mention he seems to have iced teen Bobby.
    I do believe that if there is an editorial edict it is more likely ‘let’s simplify the line and only have one version of each character’ rather than ‘let’s get rid of all the analogs and legacy characters’.

Take Laura for example. I would have been happy for her to keep the Wolverine mantle but the recent retcon is an attempt to separate her out and make her more distinct. Force us to view her as something more than a straightforward clone. Allow her to shine on her own.

Similar things are happening with Viv and her multiple moves towards more human emotion, especially the suggestion that The Vision may be parked for a while. Sam having his Nova helmet removed could be part of this, and the Brawn moniker is also a step away from a direct Hulk analogy.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-17-2018 at 02:56 AM.

Invincible Member

Dennis actually is a father in real life. I'm sure his intention in making Jessica a mom was to show some of the things that go through a new parent's mind, not "to give her a hobby". And the comic was showing her doing things that working parents do, she wasn't doing anything irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Dennis actually is a father in real life. I'm sure his intention in making Jessica a mom was to show some of the things that go through a new parent's mind, not "to give her a hobby". And the comic was showing her doing things that working parents do, she wasn't doing anything irresponsible.
    Deciding to have the kid in the first place was irresponsible since she knew she would hardly spend time with him and would be willingly depriving him of a father. And I don’t think the writer’s personal life has any bearing on how everything turned out. People write characters unlike themselves all the time. She put her own pleasure and enjoyment above the well-being of her potential kid when deciding to have him. That’s plain selfish and irresponsible.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Why would she hardly spend time with him? She can do her job and come home to spend time with him like anyone else. Just because her job is unorthodox doesn't change that.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Why would she hardly spend time with him? She can do her job and come home to spend time with him like anyone else. Just because her job is unorthodox doesn't change that.
    The whole issue is entirely tangential to the thread and seems more ideological than anything to do with comics. Insisting that a child needs a father is entirely removed from the stories being told. The thread is about a possible editorial direction at Marvel and I can confidently state that Marvel are not editorially making this kind of value judgment against single parents.

And yet she was still in costume fighting while pregnant.....
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Invincible Member

Deciding to have the kid in the first place was irresponsible since she knew she would hardly spend time with him and would be willingly depriving him of a father. And I don’t think the writer’s personal life has any bearing on how everything turned out. People write characters unlike themselves all the time. She put her own pleasure and enjoyment above the well-being of her potential kid when deciding to have him. That’s plain selfish and irresponsible.
    I brought up Dennis Hopeless's personal life because he's said that as a parent he wanted to put some of those experiences in his stories. And Jessica did not put her own pleasure above the well being of child. This simply wasn't the way the comic was written.