Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default CBR article hints that Marvel may have it out for analogs?

Here is the link https://www.cbr.com/exterminations-d...rm-bloodstorm/ here is a taste.....

"Characters like Old Man Logan and the son of Ultimate Wolverine, Jimmy Hudson, both of whom were originally relegated to their own realities, were brought into the main Marvel Continuity; Literal Wolverine clone and fan-favorite, Laura Kinney donned her genetic fatherÂ’s X-Man moniker; And even new Wolverines like Gabby (another clone) were introduced. In short, we almost had a bakerÂ’s dozen of Wolverines without our main dude there to throw his pointy-eared hat in the ring."

And here is something that really caught my attention.

"there are a lot of duplicate and alternate versions of characters who had better watch their backs."

Is Marvel using some events to clean house on redundant characters? I have always felt that Marvel has too many clawed characters and too many webslingers and if Marvel is looking to kill off some of them I'm all for it. Miles, X-23 and Spider-Women (lose the kid) can stay but the rest can take the dirt nap.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Is Marvel using some events to clean house on redundant characters? I have always felt that Marvel has too many clawed characters and too many webslingers and if Marvel is looking to kill off some of them I'm all for it. Miles, X-23 and Spider-Women (lose the kid) can stay but the rest can take the dirt nap.
    I disagree there, I like Jessica being a mother.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    And if anything, killing off the kid --- his name is Gerry --- will just be an outlet for cheap shock value and shallow angst that will end up forgotten by the next (or maybe even same) writer as soon as it's convenient.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It's more likely for Jessica's Kid to either get taken or give up then it is for Marvel to kill a baby.

But yeah Jessica being a mom is a bad idea in my opinion too.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    It's more likely for Jessica's Kid to either get taken or give up then it is for Marvel to kill a baby.

Adoption I can see, but if Gerry is just taken, then it's highly improbable, if not implausible, Jessica would just give up trying to find him, especially with the resources and connections she can draw upon to do so.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I don't think there's going to be a purge of those analogue characters any time soon. This is more mindless Nu-CBR speculation based on the Dead Man Logan announcement and Extermination, they don't exactly have supporting evidence of a bigger trend. The only other character I see going away is Jimmy Hudson, maybe. (Does anyone have particularly strong feelings about Jimmy Hudson?)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post

The only problem I would have with Jessica being a mother is if it permanently railroaded Jessica into bright, happy stories like the ones Hopeless and Rodriguez were doing.

I liked those Hopeless stories, but at the core of her character, Jessica is dark and brooding and conflicted about the nature of her existence. I'm not saying that every story needs to be a dark and dreary meditation on Jessica's humanity, but it would be a problem if you couldn't do stories that called back to her original Bronze Age stuff because of her kid.

Luckily, that's not the case. Jessica Jones is proof that you can have a character who is a mother and still put them in dark, introspective storylines. So I don't see the need to get rid of Gerry at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I don't think there's going to be a purge of those analogue characters any time soon. This is more mindless Nu-CBR speculation based on the Dead Man Logan announcement and Extermination, they don't exactly have supporting evidence of a bigger trend. The only other character I see going away is Jimmy Hudson, maybe. (Does anyone have particularly strong feelings about Jimmy Hudson?)
    Jimmy is the Wolverine I would have liked but they dochue'd him up to good before I was really ever able to.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And if anything, killing off the kid --- his name is Gerry --- will just be an outlet for cheap shock value and shallow angst that will end up forgotten by the next (or maybe even same) writer as soon as it's convenient.
    That is what I'm hoping for.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

I think honey badger is a really funny character and is really the only interesting part of the x-23 comics for me.
    Baby Thanos

Seems pretty clear from the back matter in Extermination that part of the point of the event is to remove a number of analogs and duplicate characters.

The other thing I find interesting is that Alonso actually green lit the project based on that idea, so we are even now still in an era where his influence is being felt, even though this was workshopped and written under the new editorial regime.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Just pull a Magik on Jessica's kid. Dump him somewhere and have him come back 25 years old an issue later.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I don’t. The whole thing makes her out to be selfish and irresponsible. Kids aren’t a hobby. You don’t decide to bring one into the world if you know he won’t have a father and it’s not your intention to stay with him except for the times that suit you.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don’t. The whole thing makes her out to be selfish and irresponsible. Kids aren’t a hobby. You don’t decide to bring one into the world if you know he won’t have a father and it’s not your intention to stay with him except for the times that suit you.
    I think that women are well within their rights to raise a child as a single parent if they so choose. This isn't the 1950s.

My hang up with Jess having a kid is that a she was on this really cool super spy/super hero route then all of a sudden she was fighting crime while being pregnant.

That whole thing just made her seem irresponsible and was really hard for me to read/get into. Since the whole time I was thinking "What a idiot". But I'm the guy who cringes when I see a pregnant mom lights-up a cigarette or casually drinking alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I think that women are well within their rights to raise a child as a single parent if they so choose. This isn't the 1950s.
    If you do, you’re creating a crappy life for your kid for your pleasure purposes only. Nothing 1950s about that.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!