Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Ok, so Kitty and Rachel then. But not a word about Illiyana.

So Guggs saying Illiyana and Kitty are sisters is fine.
    Why do people always want to make Kitty bisexual when she's not?

If you want gay action, then Iceman-Pyro should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    It's not. 10char

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

1) Kitty's sexuality has been left open to interpretation by several writers including her creator. So it's not a matter of people wanting to make her when it's not necessarily untrue or off the table to begin with.
    2) Iceman - Pyro is as fleshed out as Kurt - Rachel, and we deserve better than a post-wedding hook-up. That's not representation, that's cheap.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I believe this story will clarify why Storm ous without Stormcaster in X-Men Red.

Though it makes me wonder why the neck they brought the hammer back anyways.

Comes to mind it was pretty useless to do so.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Why are all the “Kitty should be killed off” people fansplaining to her fans what her character is supposed to be?
    Lol, i'm definetly not part of thr "Kitty should be killed off" crow i had a soft spot for her and i wish that she would be written better, trust i know couple of things about having you favorite go througth the mug.
    Last edited by TheCape; 08-22-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Why do we need more than one heterosexual couple in comics?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Why do you keep saying "sexually attracted" as if that's the only way Katyana can be portrayed? Okay, I get it, you read them a certain way. But the fact taht Kitty was the only one able to draw upon Yana's Soulsword, there was a possible future of them being "free to live, free to love" amongst over thigns tells me that those two have a relationship that isn't meant to be """sisterlike"""

No. People have complaints about Kutara because they felt Zuko was abusive and horrible towards her, and just because he changed sides didn't mean a romance should've started with their chemistry. Plus, that complaint gets brought up with LGBT+ couples, especially lesbians, so much that the term "just gals being pals" has become meme-like. It's silly to argue that straight couples get even half of the same criticisms.
    It probably does get brought up more often when it involves changing characters into LGBT who weren't depicted that way before. If 2 characters who are straight suddenly fall in love after having been best friends in childhood. Nothing is really changed about them. There may be many reasons why that romance does not work or upsets fans, but it creating an entirely new identity for them is not one of them. When you declare a character gay who has been around for decades, you are making a retcon to that character's identity that may or may not be ill advised. Past stories are affected, and future stories must take this into account. In general it works better when a new character who is gay is introduced, like Batwoman. While there will still be some controversy from homophobes, no old fans will find their favorite characters to suddenly be a different person. An in my experience new characters who are created to LGBT are usually better thought out about how much their sexual orientation informs their character.

With Kitty, Claremont's remarks really annoy me. Because when playing up her queerness, he pretty much disregarded an important part of her identity, her Jewishness. He had her appear with a Jewish Star necklace in her first ever appearance and had her bringing up Jewish holidays like Hanukah. Later writers had her performing Jewish mourning rituals for Colossus. And Bendis had her give a speech about how she's proud to be a Jew and a mutant. So when she becomes president, what does Claremont say? She's the first woman and 'something else,' meaning lesbian, to be president. What happened to being the first non-Christian to be president? If being bi or a lesbian is going to lead to her Jewishness being forgotten and abandoned like that, then I am against it. If it can be done with the proper balance, then while I am not in favor per say, I'm not against it either.

Similarly, with Illyana, her story is that of an abuse victim who has already gone on to abuse others and is terrified of doing it again. Any romance she has, whether it be straight or gay, has to deal with that. Riding a giant dragon colossus into battle while kissing Leah and being the biggest baddass ever may be cool in an AU where she barely appears and shows up at the end for the big damn hero moment, but that is missing the elements that make Illyana who she is. When she threatens any guy who hits o her, it's not because she's secretly pining for Leah or Kitty, but because she really is scared that she'd do the things she says.

It comes down to cost-benefit. Does this kind of change help a character (like Magneto being retconned into a Holocaust survivor) or hurt the character (retconning Peter Parker's marriage out of existence, Gwen Stacey/Norman Osborn). When it comes to these two characters, I think it only serves to distract from the more essential elements of who they are. I was surprisingly fine with Korrasami being made canon, since it didn't really seem to change anything really about them. Korra's journey was about her learning humility and compassion, and the reveal at the end did nothing to undercut that and gave a nice happy ending. In an ongoing medium where the characters stick around forever, it's a lot harder to do that right as opposed to a 4 season show with a definitive ending.

Away goes Stormcaster. Away!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooo...

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angrel-San View Post
    Away goes Stormcaster. Away!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooo...

good riddance you wont be missed
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Didn't bother with the last issue, why I chose to read this one is mindboggling. Why Guggs chooses to give the spotlight to characters he obviously lack interest in is beyond me. Can anyone tell me the real differences between HammerStorm and her without it? She's exactly the same, no difference in personality, power, or convictions and no Guggs you get no points for including Coates explanation in regards to God especially when you ignored the whole reasonings behind it and how it relates to Ororo own Godhood sans hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Why are all the “Kitty should be killed off” people fansplaining to her fans what her character is supposed to be?
    I wouldn’t say I personally am a huge fan of kitty pryde, least of all under gug’s Pen. But I do appreciate the character and what she has added and become in terms of the x-mythos. She’s had some excellent moments and there are very few characters that I dislike, kitty is not amongst them. She just doesn’t rank particularly high in terms of my favorites at the x-mansion, especially not recently. Doesn’t mean I haven’t been reading her for decades and enjoying stories that she has been a part of whether with the x-men or with x-caliber.

I just personally thought that those two panels were a part of the handful of scenes that’s weren’t complete trash in this entire run. I have always liked the close friendships in the x-family. I have just never read them as romantic, I’ve read them as friends so close they are like sisters.

BANNED

The issues after X-Men Gold 31 were boring and just wrapping up stories for the main events like Extermination and Uncanny X-Men 1.

So there're probably no long lasting effect from Gugg's run after the series end? What a bummer!

- Storm's hammer is gone (ok with me)
    - Rachel-Kurt's relationship is done
    - Pyro-Iceman relationship is done
    - Storm's parents coming back is just an illusion (ok with me)

Ironically the miniseries Hunt for Wolverine: Madripoor had more important event than a mainstream X-book! The series started out promising with some great art (in some issues) but ended miserably.

The only long lasting effect is Rogue and Gambit's wedding.
    Last edited by jalsrix; 08-22-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Didn't bother with the last issue, why I chose to read this one is mindboggling. Why Guggs chooses to give the spotlight to characters he obviously lack interest in is beyond me. Can anyone tell me the real differences between HammerStorm and her without it? She's exactly the same, no difference in personality, power, or convictions and no Guggs you get no points for including Coates explanation in regards to God especially when you ignored the whole reasonings behind it and how it relates to Ororo own Godhood sans hammer.
    That was my issue as well. There seem to bee nothing extra with that hammer and I do not understand why it was added inn the first place.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

The issues after X-Men Gold 31 were boring and just wrapping up stories for the main events like Extermination and Uncanny X-Men 1.

So there're probably no long lasting effect from Gugg's run after the series end? What a bummer!

- Storm's hammer is gone (ok with me)
    - Rachel-Kurt's relationship is done
    - Pyro-Iceman relationship is done
    - Storm's parents coming back is just an illusion (ok with me)

Ironically the miniseries Hunt for Wolverine: Madripoor had more important event than a mainstream X-book! The series started out promising with some great art (in some issues) but ended miserably.

The only long lasting effect is Rogue and Gambit's wedding.
    and that lasting effect wasnt his choosing. it was editorials
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    That was my issue as well. There seem to bee nothing extra with that hammer and I do not understand why it was added inn the first place.
    I think the hammer acts like an amplifier to Storm's powers i.e. fly faster, more powerful lightning bolts, it can smash through buildings.

It's just like Captain America's shield that complements his powers.

Gugg should have given more explanation but he's a lazy writer like some said.
    Last edited by jalsrix; 08-22-2018 at 11:20 PM.