Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    and that lasting effect wasnt his choosing. it was editorials
    The editors messed up again, why hire Gugg to write X-Men Gold if they don't trust him in the first place?

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    The editors messed up again, why hire Gugg to write X-Men Gold if they don't trust him in the first place?
    I have a hunch they thought he would reinvigorate the franchise but when that didnt happen things changed. he very much wants kitty and colossus to marry. he wasnt told until a few issues before that they (editorial) weren't having it.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 08-23-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

The editor who hired him got fired shortly after Gold began.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    The editor who hired him got fired shortly after Gold began.
    But I doubt it had anything to do with hiring gugg, otherwise why keep him on for the entire run? More likely it was completely unrelated, possibly even to the artist at the start of gold who put the political Quran verse reference on Piotr’s shirt.

It's not unheard of for editors to step in and change a writer's plans, even once they're in motion. If it can happen to Claremont and Morrison, Guggs sure as heck isn't going to be immune.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 08-23-2018 at 07:03 AM.

Fantastic Member

I didn’t bother to go back and read old replies but i am astonishingly unsurprised by how upset some people got over kitty and illyana making up.. and reaffirming the same sister bond they’ve had since they were first introduced. Lol. It’s like you can read something for decades and yet someone still gets offended by it. (Kitty and illyana is fanficfion by the way, and Piotr has used illyana’s soulsword). And to the people who like to say Rachel is kitty’s endgame relationship even though that’s an AU, you also then have to concede she will end up with Piotr with his children because there has been that AU also. AU’s don’t really matter or mean anything, written by Claremont or not.

I found them just hugging and getting over it was rather odd because it’s illyana basically getting the “guilt” off of her (which I suppose works for what Guggenheim is doing—resetting the characters to where they all were before gold as best as he can), but it doesn’t really address the deeper issue. What about how kitty is really feeling? What about the grieving she’s doing? Illyana just isn’t gonna ask about that past making she kitty doesn’t blame her? No one took up issue with how surface level that interaction was?

What about how her team is dissolving? What about how Rachel just went crazy? What about how Kurt just got dumped? This series was supposed to be more about the personal lives of the x-men and less about the world ending threats. But they hadn’t really done that at all, even before the awful, editorial mandated wedding swap.

Remember when x-men stories were engaging and meant to resonate with people on a personal, emotional level? How long has it been since they’ve done that?

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Didn't bother with the last issue, why I chose to read this one is mindboggling. Why Guggs chooses to give the spotlight to characters he obviously lack interest in is beyond me. Can anyone tell me the real differences between HammerStorm and her without it? She's exactly the same, no difference in personality, power, or convictions and no Guggs you get no points for including Coates explanation in regards to God especially when you ignored the whole reasonings behind it and how it relates to Ororo own Godhood sans hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    That was my issue as well. There seem to bee nothing extra with that hammer and I do not understand why it was added inn the first place.
    To answer your questions and explain the terrible nostaglia that has been Gold, I have a theory. My theory is this: Guggenheim is a fan of the X-Men and grew up reading during the 186-210 era of Uncanny X-Men. It explains A LOT if you look at the characters he chose/was given and how he wrote them in comparison to how they were. Even some of the villains he brought in. Rachel and Storm, the two arguably worst written characters in the book, are prime examples of this. I'll signify 80's characterization with an O at the start of the name, and I'm taking liberties with characterization so don't rake me over the coals.

OStorm - Storm during this time period started off as a badass, and then lost her powers and confidence, but then gained leadership of the X-Men when she accepted she was more than her powers. Shortly after she gained Stormcastr during the X-Men in Asgard event.
    GStorm - This Storm has done little to nothing in this series. It starts off with her questioning everything about her leadership and who she is, and throughout the series she has been nothing but a one lighting trick pony. She's had some good moments but throughout the series she constantly questions herself. And when she is rendered powerless in prison, in swoops Stormcastr and gives her her powers and confidence back. Essentially all we needed was Storm to be shot in the head by a set of twins and we have a similar arc to the 80's, and the minus the "I'm Storm, a goddess with our without my powers" personality. Oh, and she loves to say "My friend".

ORachel - Rachel arrives fresh off the 811 boat and is a traumatized powerhouse. She inherits this power that destroyed the Jean Grey of this timeline, her mother. As she takes the mantle of Phoenix, and her identity revealed, she is constantly getting the "don't be like your mother and go dark" yadayadayada. She's headstrong, childish when criticized, emotionally unstable due to familial issues, and for her all power easily overwhelmed and easily taken down.
    GRachel - Here Rachel is arguably again emotionally unstable due to....life? She, like Storm, are taken out immediately in a fight whether due to the villain du jour, PIS, or the strain of using her powers. She regains her hound persona (which first appeared during the ORachel phase), acts childish, and constantly compares herself to 1980's Dark Phoenix Jean (as does everyone else even though she's now alive?). I was really hoping that Rogue would appear at the end of the "Dark Rachel Saga" and snap her out of it by exclaiming "no more lousy tears".

I'd say for the most part Colossus, Nightcrawler, and OML/Wolverine are nearly identical to their 80's counterparts.... which is pretty sad. Colossus is the strong man in love with Kitty, OML liked to stab things, and Kurt was in love with a red head (then Amanda Sefton, now Rachel). Kitty clearly has been given a more adult persona and is the HBIC because she is the youngest and therefore the best.

Villains: Back in the 80's Claremont introduced Nimrod, the futuristic Sentinel from the future that is hunting Rachel. It is far more human looking and closer in size and shape than the current models, and can also change its appearance to look human. Aaaand we get Alpha...
    Lydia Nance = /= but almost to Stryker and just the general in 80's anti-mutant stuff.
    Brotherhood = Brotherhood
    Only the gay Nazi alien is new, really.

But really Storm's hammer is a crutch that Guggenheim is using so he can give her some lame badass moments at the need of her arc when she realizes, "Oh I don't need my hammer after all." It is retched.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    To answer your questions and explain the terrible nostaglia that has been Gold, I have a theory. My theory is this: Guggenheim is a fan of the X-Men and grew up reading during the 186-210 era of Uncanny X-Men. It explains A LOT if you look at the characters he chose/was given and how he wrote them in comparison to how they were. Even some of the villains he brought in. Rachel and Storm, the two arguably worst written characters in the book, are prime examples of this. I'll signify 80's characterization with an O at the start of the name, and I'm taking liberties with characterization so don't rake me over the coals.

OStorm - Storm during this time period started off as a badass, and then lost her powers and confidence, but then gained leadership of the X-Men when she accepted she was more than her powers. Shortly after she gained Stormcastr during the X-Men in Asgard event.
    GStorm - This Storm has done little to nothing in this series. It starts off with her questioning everything about her leadership and who she is, and throughout the series she has been nothing but a one lighting trick pony. She's had some good moments but throughout the series she constantly questions herself. And when she is rendered powerless in prison, in swoops Stormcastr and gives her her powers and confidence back. Essentially all we needed was Storm to be shot in the head by a set of twins and we have a similar arc to the 80's, and the minus the "I'm Storm, a goddess with our without my powers" personality. Oh, and she loves to say "My friend".

ORachel - Rachel arrives fresh off the 811 boat and is a traumatized powerhouse. She inherits this power that destroyed the Jean Grey of this timeline, her mother. As she takes the mantle of Phoenix, and her identity revealed, she is constantly getting the "don't be like your mother and go dark" yadayadayada. She's headstrong, childish when criticized, emotionally unstable due to familial issues, and for her all power easily overwhelmed and easily taken down.
    GRachel - Here Rachel is arguably again emotionally unstable due to....life? She, like Storm, are taken out immediately in a fight whether due to the villain du jour, PIS, or the strain of using her powers. She regains her hound persona (which first appeared during the ORachel phase), acts childish, and constantly compares herself to 1980's Dark Phoenix Jean (as does everyone else even though she's now alive?). I was really hoping that Rogue would appear at the end of the "Dark Rachel Saga" and snap her out of it by exclaiming "no more lousy tears".

I'd say for the most part Colossus, Nightcrawler, and OML/Wolverine are nearly identical to their 80's counterparts.... which is pretty sad. Colossus is the strong man in love with Kitty, OML liked to stab things, and Kurt was in love with a red head (then Amanda Sefton, now Rachel). Kitty clearly has been given a more adult persona and is the HBIC because she is the youngest and therefore the best.

Villains: Back in the 80's Claremont introduced Nimrod, the futuristic Sentinel from the future that is hunting Rachel. It is far more human looking and closer in size and shape than the current models, and can also change its appearance to look human. Aaaand we get Alpha...
    Lydia Nance = /= but almost to Stryker and just the general in 80's anti-mutant stuff.
    Brotherhood = Brotherhood
    Only the gay Nazi alien is new, really.

But really Storm's hammer is a crutch that Guggenheim is using so he can give her some lame badass moments at the need of her arc when she realizes, "Oh I don't need my hammer after all." It is retched.
    The Gay Nazi villain was not bad actually. They gave him a great past and background. But hey, he's dead now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    I didn’t bother to go back and read old replies but i am astonishingly unsurprised by how upset some people got over kitty and illyana making up.. and reaffirming the same sister bond they’ve had since they were first introduced. Lol. It’s like you can read something for decades and yet someone still gets offended by it. (Kitty and illyana is fanficfion by the way, and Piotr has used illyana’s soulsword). And to the people who like to say Rachel is kitty’s endgame relationship even though that’s an AU, you also then have to concede she will end up with Piotr with his children because there has been that AU also. AU’s don’t really matter or mean anything, written by Claremont or not.

I found them just hugging and getting over it was rather odd because it’s illyana basically getting the “guilt” off of her (which I suppose works for what Guggenheim is doing—resetting the characters to where they all were before gold as best as he can), but it doesn’t really address the deeper issue. What about how kitty is really feeling? What about the grieving she’s doing? Illyana just isn’t gonna ask about that past making she kitty doesn’t blame her? No one took up issue with how surface level that interaction was?

What about how her team is dissolving? What about how Rachel just went crazy? What about how Kurt just got dumped? This series was supposed to be more about the personal lives of the x-men and less about the world ending threats. But they hadn’t really done that at all, even before the awful, editorial mandated wedding swap.

Remember when x-men stories were engaging and meant to resonate with people on a personal, emotional level? How long has it been since they’ve done that?
    That kind of thing will always exist as fans want their favorite ships to stick together. Trying to fight this is useless.

On the other hand I could not swallow the excuse given to Magik to say those words to Kitty is not the kind of thing a friend or normal person would say before a friend's wedding with her brother. And that ends up putting more fuel in the fire so the fans believe that there was more in her actions than she admits since Illyana did not look happy for them.
    And you're right everything Kitty tried to build collapsed bit by bit but everyone acts as if this were normal what is strange .