View Poll Results: Your Verdict About The Film

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • SUPER! One of the best Superman titles produced recenty

26 52.00%
  • Pretty good, could've been better but still an overall satisfying adaptation

14 28.00%
  • It was okay, not terrible but not great either, basically servicable

3 6.00%
  • Didn't care for it, had some parts but overall a dissappointment

5 10.00%
  • Terrible! One of the worst pieces of Superman media ever produced

2 4.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Default Poll: The Death Of Superman (2018)

Now that the movie has already been released both physically and digitally. Time to give your vote along with your opinion this more recent adaptation of the classic 90's storyline.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Easily my favorite animated Superman film. Has everything I want in a Superman story.

Best movie since Superman vs. The Elite. Had a good balance of heroics and humanity to it. I loved Doomsday’s initial murder spree before meeting the League and Supes. I liked Lex’s new VA, his speech at the funeral was hilarious.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I was really into it. Had a good time with the action, enjoyed character work, and kind of loved the world building. I can't really ask for more with these.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-18-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

It was very good! A few qualms (didn't like the voice for Lois really, hated the voice for Lex, some of the animation was subpar early on), but the story was good, the Justice League was superior than what I know of the comic line up from the original comic, and if the animation wasn't perfect throughout at least it was perfect for the fight scene, and what an impressive scene it was.

I just rewatched it to be really sure about my feelings for this movie... and I loved it even more than the first time! Even the animation seemed better.

This movie is so enjoyable and every little scene counts to inform the characters and their feelings and intentions. All of Superman/Clark's friendships and relationships feel so natural and realistic I'm kind of in awe. We see how much Clark cares about others, including Lois, and just as important we see how much the people of Metropolis values and appreciates and even adores Superman. All of that is very important because when the big fight to save his city and the world starts, we truly care for Superman and his life. I found myself smiling at lot.

And the action doesn't disappoints AT ALL! Doomsday is truly a killing machine and the way he trashes Superman like a doll at times... it's very painful to watch.. :'( The Death of Superman is a big win, IMO, because when a movie makes me smile a lot like this does, and also makes feel on the edge of my seat and tear up for Superman like this movie does, it just means that it did its job very well.

So, my feeling right now is that this animated movie is my favorite Superman movie of all time.

It really is that good for me. And I wish that the live action Justice League movie had been this instead of what we got. Don't get me wrong, I like JL a lot (I know I'm not the majority here) but this DoS movie is just on another level of greatness, IMO. If someday I meet Peter Tomasi, I would give him the biggest hug for giving me such a perfect and wonderful Superman movie and story. This man really gets Superman the way I like it. :') Also hope Reign of the Supermen delivers and blows my little mind away like DoS has.

Loved it!

Superman was awesome! Even in the New52 uniform.

Living Kents! Man, I didn't realize how much I missed them. Next Hard Reboot time, they get upgraded to Alfred Pennyworth status (unkillable vital supporting characters).

Black Cat! Truthfully, I liked the look a lot, esp that haircut ... and I started wondering about that exact look for Lois herself, like maybe in an AU or NHR story. I'm down with Black Lois (I've already seen and liked South Asian Lois from SECRET IDENTITY and East Asian Lois from AMERICAN ALIEN, so Black Lois can't be far behind). I do prefer Cat to be more antagonistic to Lois, a la SUPERGIRL (trust me, I hate crediting that show for anything, but their Cat Grant is the gold standard for the character).

Doomsday was awesome ... well, as awesome as he can be, anyway. The mindless monster archetype has never done anything for me and likely never will. But dude should be a league-buster.

Perry White was visually half Lane Smith and half Lawrence Fishbourne (that's the sneakiest onscreen race-swapping I've seen yet).

And it was #1 in blu-ray sales this week!

So, success all-around!

BANNED

It was a fine film, with a great Clark/Lois dynamic, pacy action, and lots of world-building for the next movie establishing all the major players. Jerry O'Connel is really finding his feet as the voice of Superman

I hope this is not considered spamming w/ pics.. but the one thing I don't love is how dark Superman's suit is in this movie. I wish the blue was lighter and brighter just a bit more. I do love the New 52 suit in the comics and action figures. I think it looks very modern and badass for Supes.

Dk5JuiSWsAESa5n.jpg

I like this blue better.
    41KJTbe8waL._SX466_.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I think Superman still looks good in this movie, but I wish the blue was lighter.

I thought it was excellent. Loved Superman’s characterization. He was confident but also humble. He was funny but not a smartass. It kinda reminded me of how Bendis is writing him. Which is odd as Tomasi wrote the script. I was most impressed by how each of the League members had a cool little part. The weak animation was my only complaint. Though the animation during the actual fight scene was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I thought it was excellent. Loved Superman’s characterization. He was confident but also humble. He was funny but not a smartass. It kinda reminded me of how Bendis is writing him. Which is odd as Tomasi wrote the script. I was most impressed by how each of the League members had a cool little part. The weak animation was my only complaint. Though the animation during the actual fight scene was quite good.

The animation really got better for me on my second watch. Most of the facial expressions the characters had, especially, Supes, Lois and Diana felt pretty effective, IMO. I really felt that they were able to convey the intended emotions quite well, even the subtle ones. Or maybe that's just me as a girl who pays a lot of attention to the more subtle things others just don't.

BANNED

The movie is now one of my favorite animated films. Loved just about every single minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Loved it!

Superman was awesome! Even in the New52 uniform.

Living Kents! Man, I didn't realize how much I missed them. Next Hard Reboot time, they get upgraded to Alfred Pennyworth status (unkillable vital supporting characters).

Black Cat! Truthfully, I liked the look a lot, esp that haircut ... and I started wondering about that exact look for Lois herself, like maybe in an AU or NHR story. I'm down with Black Lois (I've already seen and liked South Asian Lois from SECRET IDENTITY and East Asian Lois from AMERICAN ALIEN, so Black Lois can't be far behind). I do prefer Cat to be more antagonistic to Lois, a la SUPERGIRL (trust me, I hate crediting that show for anything, but their Cat Grant is the gold standard for the character).

Doomsday was awesome ... well, as awesome as he can be, anyway. The mindless monster archetype has never done anything for me and likely never will. But dude should be a league-buster.

Perry White was visually half Lane Smith and half Lawrence Fishbourne (that's the sneakiest onscreen race-swapping I've seen yet).

And it was #1 in blu-ray sales this week!

So, success all-around!

Yes to all of this...except I personally really liked the Lois and Cat friendship. As a matter of fact, thanks to this movie I want to see them have this type of relationship from now on. But Black Cat? Loved it. Black Lois? I crave it. And I also thought that this version of Cat would look really nice as a black version of Lois.

Nope. Can't stand it. I got over the whole DOS thing ages ago. (Hopefully this will be the LAST time they milk this cow).

I predict Part 2: Reign will be better tho

I agree that we should not see yet another retelling of Clark dying at the hands of Doomsday. This story has already been translated 3 times now for the screen, though this was by far the best retelling of said story.

If Doomsday is to be used again, he/it needs a new role or purpose. Making him/it intelligent with a personality is one likely direction, and it doesn't necessarily require a reboot or even a retcon. But enough with this particular story.

Next year's REIGN OF THE SUPERMEN will be spectacular, I'm betting. That story has yet to done onscreen anywhere (well, except for that Super Nintendo video game).

Absolutely loved it. Tomasi did such a great job I, for the first time, actually cared for the animated version of new52 Superman. The animation could have been better, that's my only complaint. Looking forward to 'Reign of Supermen'.