View Poll Results: Your Verdict About The Film

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • SUPER! One of the best Superman titles produced recenty

26 52.00%
  • Pretty good, could've been better but still an overall satisfying adaptation

14 28.00%
  • It was okay, not terrible but not great either, basically servicable

3 6.00%
  • Didn't care for it, had some parts but overall a dissappointment

5 10.00%
  • Terrible! One of the worst pieces of Superman media ever produced

2 4.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"Death of Superman" stories are deep into diminishing returns, but otherwise it's a solid movie. Far from perfect, but has a lot of good things going on.

If "Reign" is not good, then my opinion of the movie will probably go down. I know, not really fair, but due to that whole "diminishing returns" comment, I feel you need a strong, strong rationale to keep revisiting the topic, especially since this very animated line already covered his death to Doomsday. Essentially, the "Reign" part is the only justification to redo the story, and if that tanks, then this whole process will feel like a waste.

Loved it though nervous about Reign since that's not by Tomasi

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I agree.. Tomasi did such a great job really, he can teach Zack Snyder some things about how to get people emotionally invested in Superman..

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

Who is it from then? You just scared me a lil

If anyone in charge is reading this, please make sure that Reign of the Supermen is great!

I want Superman's return to be truly awesome and inspirational. I loved Death, but Reign needs to be as good or better. I'm not sure I can handle to be let down after such a win with Death.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

just finished watch it.
    Great, I loved it.

DoS and Reign of Supermen to me is THE story, the one who brought me definetly to comics so i was very skeptical and cautious.
    This movie got it, retells the story in a new key and in a new universe and fulfills his duty perfectly.
    I really felt for Superman, for Lois, for people! there is 20 and more mins of pathos (even though i knew what's was happening) and i struggled twice not to cry.
    Ma and Pa, how much i miss them!
    I'm really happy that Kon is there, i feared they erased him in this universe too (as they did with Tim).
    Only thing i can't digest is Wonder Woman costume.
    Great, great, great movie! When DC wants can still do it!

I have mixed feelings on this movie. It's basically an attempt to re-do the New 52 but through the lens of more conventional post-Crisis style Superman, and I'm not sure I like that.

I also heard a lot of people negatively comparing Batman v. Superman to this movie, and while in part I can see why, I can't help but also go "you've gotta be kidding me." Clark in BvS is a fairly communicative person, at least to Lois. He can talk to her about their relationship, about their problems, etc. The Superman in Death of Superman legitimately thought it was possible that Barry might marry Iris without telling her his secret identity. What is that? He seems much more closed off than the BvS one does to me, and I think they overdid it. The scene where he tells Lois his secret is very effective, but I can't help but be annoyed by the miscommunication all up to that point.

Not to mention that a whole lot of New 52 ideas are just cut off. By New 52 rules, Superman just fought a pupal Doomsday, not a full one, which would have exuded corruption and death as it rampaged, and would have possessed Superman when he died. Obviously, could still be the case, but Tomasi and the other creators clearly aren't thinking in those terms, meaning that it's really kind of a retcon, a re-do of the New 52 on less controversial grounds.

They layered on the whole "everyone loves Superman" really thick from the start of the movie, but that's only a little too much, I'm not bothered by it. BvS could probably use some of that to a certain extent to be honest. I also thought that his combat in the early part of the movie started to get worse later on as he actually fought Doomsday. Luthor... was really, really, eminently hateable. He was annoying, incompetent, needlessly cruel. I honestly hated him. I wish we could get like the Young Justice animated Luthor with the Death of Superman Kal/Clark. Now that's a smackdown I'd like to watch! Though I'll admit, my previously blameless view of this movie'verse's Superman is kind of tarnished by Death of Superman.

Also, though this isn't a substantive critique or anything, when J'onn caught on fire and screamed like a thousand devils, my fiancee swore she'd have nightmares, and only the Choco stealing joy of the Scooby-Doo/Brave and the Bold crossover J'onn healed her wounded soul.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Essentially, the "Reign" part is the only justification to redo the story, and if that tanks, then this whole process will feel like a waste.
    I totally, whole-heartedly agree, and I really really hope that Reign is good enough to justify the previous movie, which wasn't really bad by any means, but just didn't blow me away like it did for some folks.
    Last edited by Adekis; 09-11-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."