Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'd give him superhuman strength with his body armor acting as a force multiplier, pushing him to at least Class 20. Otherwise, it just seems like too much of a stretch that he'd walk around in a suit that didn't further amplify his strength, given the superhumanly strong and superhumanly durable foes aligned against him.
    Well, that's the thing... most of his rogues are on the weak side. Aside from Klaw, he should be able to go hand to hand and beat pretty much every member of his rogues gallery at peak human strength level. The only one who he might need meta human strength to fight is Man Ape, who is in the 10 ton range.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Well, that's the thing... most of his rogues are on the weak side. Aside from Klaw, he should be able to go hand to hand and beat pretty much every member of his rogues gallery at peak human strength level. The only one who he might need meta human strength to fight is Man Ape, who is in the 10 ton range.

Maybe but you don't always need strong bad guys. Spider has fought plenty of not super strong bad guys. Sometimes you are fighting the intellect, skill or flat out savage nature of you bad guys.

I thought BP was close to spider level strength now maybe a little below but not much. But as I write this I don't know why i thought that.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Maybe but you don't always need strong bad guys. Spider has fought plenty of not super strong bad guys. Sometimes you are fighting the intellect, skill or flat out savage nature of you bad guys.

I thought BP was close to spider level strength now maybe a little below but not much. But as I write this I don't know why i thought that.
    Sure. I'm just saying if he doesn't have a whole lot of strong bad guys then he probably doensn't need much of a strength boost.

I think part of the problem is T'CHalla upgraded himselve over the years (mostly with improved gear), but a lot of his rogues didn't keep pace. Iron Man had the same problem back in the day.

Nice thing about Cap is he pretty much stays unchanged all this time. So you never need to worry about having this hero/villain cold war where one side needs to keep up with the other.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    He is the chief protector of Wakanda and his time with the Avengers and other super groups should have taught him that there are more powerful threats out there than his usual rogues gallery. His time with the Ultimates alone should have taught him that. I'm not saying that he has to Hulk-out, but as with Captain America, it's too big of a stretch for me to buy into a fight where a slightly above "peak human" BP holds his own against a foe who can move planets. With Cap it's even worse, because we've seen him go toe to toe with scores of Asgardians without so much as getting a broken finger nail. I know throngs of Marvel readers love seeing that sort of thing, but I'm not one of them. It dilutes the threat and detracts from the suspense and achievement. I come away feeling like the villain got jobbed, as opposed to the hero accomplishing something amazing.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

He is the chief protector of Wakanda and his time with the Avengers and other super groups should have taught him that there are more powerful threats out there than his usual rogues gallery. His time with the Ultimates alone should have taught him that. I'm not saying that he has to Hulk-out, but as with Captain America, it's too big of a stretch for me to buy into a fight where a slightly above "peak human" BP holds his own against a foe who can move planets. With Cap it's even worse, because we've seen him go toe to toe with scores of Asgardians without so much as getting a broken finger nail. I know throngs of Marvel readers love seeing that sort of thing, but I'm not one of them. It dilutes the threat and detracts from the suspense and achievement. I come away feeling like the villain got jobbed, as opposed to the hero accomplishing something amazing.
    T'Challa definately does have higher end gear if he needs it. We saw his hulk buster suit for example, when he had to throw down with the Cho Hulk. So like most comic book smart guys, he an bust out gear if needed to deal with bigger threats.

In my personal opinion the whole point of Cap isn't how strong he is but how brave he is. For example...

Thanos.JPG

He had just watched Thanos take out his friends systematically: Thor being turned to glass and then shattered, Iron Man getting his head ripped off, etc. And still he went toe-to-toe with Thanos to give the Surfer time to swoop in and grab the gauntlet. Who cares how powerful Steve is, he has balls of pure vibranium.

That and Steve's a good chess player.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    In my personal opinion the whole point of Cap isn't how strong he is but how brave he is. For example...

Thanos.JPG

He had just watched Thanos take out his friends systematically: Thor being turned to glass and then shattered, Iron Man getting his head ripped off, etc. And still he went toe-to-toe with Thanos to give the Surfer time to swoop in and grab the gauntlet. Who cares how powerful Steve is, he has balls of pure vibranium.

Well, we all know that. This thread is about asking the strength level of Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post

Thanos.JPG

Throwing a penalty flag. Cap gets the "hero treatment." He's not being brave, writers are just being stupid.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Throwing a penalty flag. Cap gets the "hero treatment." He's not being brave, writers are just being stupid.
    Can't be a penalty flag if it's a subjective opinion. *I*, a die-hard Cap fan, and buyer of his comics and merch, thus an active consumer, consider it profound bravery and eat up such 'hero treatment' with a spoon. Give me more of that hero treatment! My bank account is waiting! And since my dollars (and the dollars of many others, considering Cap had the 15th stop selling issue for the entirety of 2018... not too shabby, Steve) contribute to Marvel's profit margin, it's a system that works.

I’m just wondering if Cap meant he was able to attack and do the damage of half a platoon? That I could accept.

As comics go, Cap would likely out-damage an entire platoon. He's punched Hulk, Thanos and other super-dense, "impervious to conventional injury" types without shattering his hand. Yeah, I know "comic science," "hero treatment" and "PIS", but it's happened. I laughed so hard when he punched IG Thanos and made his head turn. Thanos laughed it off, but any boxer will tell you that if you hit a guy so hard that he gets whiplash, you definitely have striking power. Those neck muscles don't just collapse on their own.

~James Baldwin

I predict that 616 Cap may be soft-retconned into having the strength of Ultimate Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I predict that 616 Cap may be soft-retconned into having the strength of Ultimate Cap.
    How strong is Ultimate Cap?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Ultimate Cap seems pretty similar to MCU Cap, who clearly is meta to some degree. Fury said he could bench press a Toyata once, so I think that at least implies 1-2 ton strength. I'd guess a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    If the wiki is accurate, Ultimate Cap had feats that would put him in the 5 - 10 ton range easily. It just goes to show that although some AU versions of 616 heroes are less powerful, not all of them are. Wouldn't mind seeing Ultimate Cap team up with a few "stuck in limbo" 616 Avengers to form a new Ultimates team.

~James Baldwin