Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Ultimate Cap seems pretty similar to MCU Cap, who clearly is meta to some degree. Fury said he could bench press a Toyata once, so I think that at least implies 1-2 ton strength. I'd guess a bit more.
    (Shock!!) I never heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If the wiki is accurate, Ultimate Cap had feats that would put him in the 5 - 10 ton range easily. It just goes to show that although some AU versions of 616 heroes are less powerful, not all of them are. Wouldn't mind seeing Ultimate Cap team up with a few "stuck in limbo" 616 Avengers to form a new Ultimates team.
    Is Ultimate Cap in the new universe? I just wonder as Miles Morales is here, so maybe more Ultimate Universe entities made it across?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Is Ultimate Cap in the new universe? I just wonder as Miles Morales is here, so maybe more Ultimate Universe entities made it across?
    The last time that I saw him was in the final issue of Ultimates 2, which was some time ago. I don't know if Ultimate Cap survived the whole God Emperor Doom thing or not. My guess is that he's still around along with a few members of the Ultimate Avengers, but I don't know if that's in the 616 multiverse, or somewhere else in the time/space continuum. I don't see him coming to 616 Earth any time soon as long as 616 Steve is still around.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I think Ultimate Cap showed up at the end of Spider-Men 2.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member

i read many years ago in a captain america letter page that steve was physically as able as an olympic gold medalist

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    i read many years ago in a captain america letter page that steve was physically as able as an olympic gold medalist
    Yeah, that was back when they were still getting a quantitative feel for the numbers. I believe Steve to be way stronger and more capable than that. If we had a new Handbook or RPG today, I am sure the numbers for many characters, Steve included, would be higher.

I think the handbook back in the day stated he could bench press 800-900 pounds or something in that ball park.

But the thing is, marvel writers and artists often don't bother doing the match when they have them performing various feats of strength in comics. I don't doubt if we do some digging he's probably done things which imply greater strength than that.
    In other words, he's as strong as he needs to be.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    In other words, he's as strong as he needs to be.
    Up to a point. I'm sure no writer would have Steve juggling air craft carriers or anything like that. But the lines between peak and low end meta human are pretty darn blurry.

BANNED

I wonder when his powers are going to be retconed to being derived from the spirit of American freedom instead of a stinky chemical serum.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    I wonder when his powers are going to be retconed to being derived from the spirit of American freedom instead of a stinky chemical serum.
    How about never. And I'd hardly call Erskine's serum 'stinky' considering the entirety of the Marvel universe, both in comics and in the MCU, have been trying to replicate it for decades.

BANNED

it's a joke don't get your panties into a bunch.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Up to a point. I'm sure no writer would have Steve juggling air craft carriers or anything like that. But the lines between peak and low end meta human are pretty darn blurry.
    I blame lazy writers who don't even bother to see how much the front end of a truck actually weighs before showing Cap lifting it with an off-balance forearm lift. And don't even get me started on a shield, which is supposed to absorb impact (both giving AND receiving), yet somehow it can hit hard enough to knock out a someone with superhuman durability even though Steve is only "peak human". Some things just don't add up, and they never will. But that's comics for you.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I blame lazy writers who don't even bother to see how much the front end of a truck actually weighs before showing Cap lifting it with an off-balance forearm lift. And don't even get me started on a shield, which is supposed to absorb impact (both giving AND receiving), yet somehow it can hit hard enough to knock out a someone with superhuman durability even though Steve is only "peak human". Some things just don't add up, and they never will. But that's comics for you.
    I'm willing to give older writers a bit of a pass. But in this day and age, there's really no excuse for not knowing how much something weights when you csn pretty much google it.