Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Alan Moore Fanboy ZorakLovesComics's Avatar

Default Black Badge Hype Thread!

Anybody else eagerly waiting for the next issue? I know I am. Below, I edited my 'Twitter' comments together into a cohesive blurb. This isn't a review but my thoughts. I love to hear what everybody else thinks.

DkRkGWdW4AAdjrW.jpg

DkRmv6cXgAA4CQq.jpg

DkRmv6gX4AAIEi7.jpg

I'm loving the use of color in this comic. It's quite beautiful in some of the panels. The art is simplistic but it matches the simple story. Willy is the new Scout in this covert group called the "Black Badge". Scouts that work off the grid to correct the world that adults screwed up. Willy must prove his worth to the group while staying alive. Things don't get too crazy in this first issue. It's more of an introduction to this world through the viewpoint of Willy, from what I can tell. We'll most likely see this world from the others Scouts viewpoint but for now, Willy is a good place to start. I can't wait to see what Kindt has planned for the story. I'm definitely recommending this one. I think Kindt & The Jenkins delivered a solid first issue.

A couple more images I couldn't fit into the first post.

DkRpGtKW4AA_lOR.jpg

DkRpGtKXcAAx3dP.jpg

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm definitely behind this title-- really, really liked Grass Kingdom by these creators, and hoping for as good a run on Black Badge, although the tone and subject matter is so very different. Not a big Kindt fan, myself, but Grass Kingdom is up there in my strong-affirmative-nod collection, and, as I say, I've hopes for this, too!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I'm definitely behind this title-- really, really liked Grass Kingdom by these creators, and hoping for as good a run on Black Badge, although the tone and subject matter is so very different. Not a big Kindt fan, myself, but Grass Kingdom is up there in my strong-affirmative-nod collection, and, as I say, I've hopes for this, too!
    This is actually my first Kindt title. I'll definitely check out Grass Kingdom. My bias toward Marvel & DC really detracted my love for comics. It shouldn't have. Due to some recent politics and comic stores closing, I've really wanted to do my part in supporting the industry and my local shop. I'm six or seven months deep into my little revival and found so many indie series that I've enjoyed. Sorry, I steered off subject. I'm just trying to explain why this is my first Kindt title. Is there anything beyond Grass Kingdom I need to check out?

Just went checking to see what else he's done-- turns out the only other Kindt title I like was Divinity, which goes for three volumes, and I really only enjoyed the first, so alas, you'll have to rely on others to recommend anything other than Grass Kings.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member

I was totally engrossed in Mind MGMT, so of course I wanted to check out this book. It will be interesting to see whether there is more to each of these team members than has been let on so far, and whether this black ops project might involve the same sort of superhuman talents that the Mind MGMT agents learned to develop. In any case, I enjoyed the art style, especially the colors, so I'll stay with the title for the next few issues and see whether they draw me into the story.

Divinity & Mind MGMT, got it.

Seismic, I'm glad we agree on the colors.

Matt, thanks. You still recommended Grass Kings and that helped.

Well cool! The watercolor style is really pleasing, restful. And certainly with Grass Kings was often incredibly beautiful. Figure for more of that, with Badge.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Well cool! The watercolor style is really pleasing, restful. And certainly with Grass Kings was often incredibly beautiful. Figure for more of that, with Badge.
    I can't speak on Grass Kings but I definitely agree with the rest of this.

I'm gonna need to check this out with all the Mind MGMT mentions. Fantastic series, that. Such a good use of the medium. Should be talked about as a modern classic, frankly. I'm amazed it didn't do any better in sales, hopefully the collected version have been doing better.

alright, alright--if you check out Black Badge, I'll check out Mind MGMT.
    okay-- it's on hold, v. 1 & 2, anyway, at my library...

Astonishing Member

Sometime I simply have to go back and re-read all of Mind MGMT, because it was one of those series in which there was way too much to absorb on the first reading. For one thing, so much of the story wasn't told in the actual "story" itself but in the 1- and 2-page backstory preface and appendix of most issues, in the "advertisements" on the back cover, and in the field manual and other text that appears in the page margins. Most of this seems incidental when you encounter it, but then references to it keep creeping back into the actual "story" many issues later, and suddenly much of the story becomes clearer. Even just within the "story", certain characters and incidents seem to be used only in a single issue, and then half-way through the series something else happens that makes you say "Oh! So that's who <i>that</i> was!!!" I'm sure it is a series that reads differently once you've seen where it's going, so I want to go back and experience it that way next.

Ah-hah--thank you Seismic: that's good information to know, going in. Anybody else with similar clues to share for someone reading this for the first time (Mind MGMT), please do-- it'd be too bad for me if I lost interest because I didn't know that what seemed incidental, perhaps even pointless, in the first issues actually had bearing later on.

Incredible Member

Pretty good. Concept was a little ridiculous - but then again the scouts always had a slight para military vibe to it so why not. Enough of a hook to stay with it.

And bought a run of grass kings on strength of high recommendations here for it

Incredible Member

And having read the start of grass kings it really is very good. I guess like black badge the premiss is slightly fantastical but also plausible and the characterisation develops each issue in ways that makes you want to know more about the people involved in the story.

Plus it is a pleasure to physically hold and read. First boom book i have bought but lovely thick card covers, lot of pages per issue. Production quality has to completely outrank nearly every other $4 book on the market.