Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Categorizing Villains. Who's A-list? Who's B-list?

Stole this idea from a Spider-Man thread, but thought it would be fun to see what everyone here thinks is Wonder Woman's villain rankings in terms of "A-List," "B-List," etc.

Keep in mind that there is no concrete "A-List" and such; this is all subjective. But I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks are the rankings for Diana's rogues. Do you base them on powerset, how many appearances they've had, or overall prominence in the franchise?

For me, the listing goes as such:

A-List: The most iconic and prominent of Diana's rogues. These are the villains that are often used outside of the comics and are almost instantly recognizable by even most casual DC fans.
    • Ares
    • Circe
    • Cheetah
    • Giganta

B-List: The recurring enemies that have endured over the years but haven't had the amount of prominence in the comics as the A-Listers. These villains have been featured in a number of stories and are decently well-known to the majority of Wonder Woman fans.
    • Angle Man
    • Baroness von Gunther
    • Deimos
    • Doctor Cyber
    • Doctor Poison
    • Doctor Psycho
    • Duke of Deception
    • Eris
    • Medusa
    • Phobos
    • Queen Clea
    • Silver Swan
    • Veronica Cale

C-List: These villains have made a decent number of appearances but usually aren't the lead villain in many of their stories. This category also includes "big bads" that are tied to a single writer's run.
    • Aegeus
    • Blue Snowman
    • Cyborgirl
    • Dark Angel
    • Devastation
    • Echidna
    • Egg Fu
    • Eviless/Saturna
    • First Born
    • Genocide
    • Grail
    • Gundra
    • Hecate
    • Hypnota
    • The Mask
    • Mayfly
    • Minister Blizzard
    • The Morrigan
    • Osira
    • Queen Atomia
    • Queen of Fables
    • White Magician
    • Zara

D-List: These villains have very few (and inconsequential) appearances, and even many die-hard Wonder Woman fans may not remember much (if anything) about these characters.
    • Adjudicator
    • Armageddon
    • Blakfu
    • Cassandra Arnold
    • Cat Eye, Baundo, and Abolith
    • Crimson Centipede
    • "Dark Man" (Lucius)
    • Decay
    • Derinoe
    • Earl of Greed
    • Eirene
    • Fausta Grables
    • Human Fireworks
    • Inversion
    • Karnell and the other Dark Gods
    • King Crystallar
    • Kung
    • Lord Conquest
    • Mavis
    • Moot and Geof
    • Mouse Man
    • Paper Man
    • Titans (Arch, Disdain, etc.)

Z-List: Villains that have only appeared once in a very insignificant role in the history of the Wonder Woman series. There's too many to name, but basically anyone like Tigra Tropica, Cyonide, Badra, Perfection, Drax, Barremargox, Salvo, etc.

Medusa is tricky one, I'd say she's A but I could agree she's B or even C. She has been in multiple cartoons (in minor roles), is familiar to people (albeit not strickly from the comics) and her fight from the Rucka run is my favourite Wondy fight (but I struggle to to remember other stories).
    Last edited by jump; 08-18-2018 at 12:34 AM.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Great lists Nysanne! The only changes I'd make is moving the one run villains down to the D-List as I think we're far likely to see Angle Man, Egg Fu, Gundra, the Queen of Fables, and Osira again before we see Devastation, First Born, Genocide, or the Morrigan again.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I’d bump Giganta down to B-List, I think your average casual wouldn’t know what her deal is at all. Otherwise great list.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I agree with the list for the most part, but I'd say maybe Cheetah, Ares and Circe are the only true A-listers. I think Psycho and Giganta would fall somewhere between A and B. Psycho is the most prominent recurring rogue after the big three but doesn't measure up to them, and Giganta is iconic and appears a LOT but mostly in small cameo roles and not even a lot in the WW franchise proper, unfortunately. But other than that, and that's debatable, the list is dead on and close to what I perceive the rogue gallery to be as it is.

For me, I'd like Diana to firmly have a core set of recurring rogues that were accepted as set in stone. For Batman, it's pretty obvious that it is the major ones featured in B:TAS, while Superman has Lex, Brainiac, Bizarro, Doomsday (ugh), the Phantom Zone Criminals, Mxy, Toyman, Parasite, Metallo, etc. For my headcanon idealized version of the WW mythos, my core group would be:

Cheetah
    Ares and his kids
    Circe
    Dr. Psycho
    Giganta
    Veronica Cale
    Dr. Cyber
    Dr. Poison
    Queen Clea
    The remainder of the classic Villainy Inc lineup: Zara, Saturna, Blue Snowman, Hypnota
    Angle Man
    Silver Swan

Great list.
    Should'nt Darkseid be considered?
    He has made things personal with the Amazon's
    And especially Diana many times going back
    To George Perez.