Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Should we be worried?

Is it true. Is Didio steering the DC Universe back to the 'tone' & style of the 'New 52.' Will 'Heroes in Crisis' just be an 'Identity Crisis' 2. I mean look at what Damian is up to in the New 'Teen Titans' series. His friend Jon wouldn't't tolerate that! Oh' hang on, problem solved, Bendis basically wrote him & his mother into fictional limbo. Can feel the 'Rebirth' initiative, slowly eroding. Being took back off us. I feel Geoff Johns rescued Didio & Lee after the 'DC You' debacle, now they're getting cocky again and starting to push their own agenda again.

I just want Didio to be fired. Is that too much to ask?
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

At least Johns is trying. Ooh Man, Didio & Lee could ruin Rebirth real quick smh.

Recently I watched a chat of Snyder on Comicstorian and Snyder said himself that if continuity gets messsd it’s on them(Snyder, Bendis and King).
    Snyder Bendis and King are basically the “holy trinity” at DC and get away with everything. D’oh....

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    At least Johns is trying. Ooh Man, Didio & Lee could ruin Rebirth real quick smh.

Recently I watched a chat of Snyder on Comicstorian and Snyder said himself that if continuity gets messsd it’s on them(Snyder, Bendis and King).
    Snyder Bendis and King are basically the “holy trinity” at DC and get away with everything. D’oh....
    I'd much rather have great writers in charge than great editors. For my money, King is great, Snyder is very good, and the jury is out on Bendis. I know he's written a lot but I've only read his DC stuff.

It's just a matter of time...

What I've noticed from the current regime at DC... is that instead of excelling and making products that can stand with or above the classic runs (such as Levitz Legion, Wolfman Titans, Giffen & DeMatteis JLI...), they choose instead to chip away at the pedestals of DC's biggest successes to bring them down to their level and get out from under their shadow.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I'd much rather have great writers in charge than great editors. For my money, King is great, Snyder is very good, and the jury is out on Bendis. I know he's written a lot but I've only read his DC stuff.
    Nah, King is really not a competent writer tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    But that's the thing. The writers I've mentioned aren't great.
    I'd rather have Johns, Tomasi and Jurgens have the reigns.

The Rebirth initiative is ending. In some cases already over. No initiative lasts forever, in the context that DC and Marvel have defined the "initiative". I still don't get the pedestal Rebirth has been put on. It was a generally successful era but it didn't skyrocket DC to the top or usher in any new golden age of comics. Its been like any initiative before it in recent memory: started hot due to the allure of new #1s and new directions, came back down to earth as firmly the #2 publisher to Marvel. The reality is it didn't achieve anything particularly special. Nobody needs to "work" to ruin Rebirth. Outside of, per usual, Batman, everything had sunk back down to their usual cemented place as #2 well before they started ramping up the preludes to whatever the new DCU will look like after Doomsday Clock and Snyder's crossover. One franchise that's already seen its new direction start, Superman, is currently doing good. Don't know how long that will last but for now its upped sales and nothing is ruined.

However I'm curious why, if people are worried that Heroes in Crisis is basically Identity Crisis 2.0, that they equate the end result will be something like the New 52. That's not how it happened. The dark period Identity Crisis ushered in was not the New 52. That was the era immediately prior to Flashpoint, title it whatever you will (granted the end of Blackest Night and Brightest Day was in the process of trying to mitigate some of that overpowering darkness).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-26-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

What is Didio's obsession with New 52?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

What I've noticed from the current regime at DC... is that instead of excelling and making products that can stand with or above the classic runs (such as Levitz Legion, Wolfman Titans, Giffen & DeMatteis JLI...), they choose instead to chip away at the pedestals of DC's biggest successes to bring them down to their level and get out from under their shadow.
    BOOM!!! Couldn’t have said it better!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The Rebirth initiative is ending. In some cases already over. No initiative lasts forever, in the context that DC and Marvel have defined the "initiative". I still don't get the pedestal Rebirth has been put on. It was a generally successful era but it didn't skyrocket DC to the top or usher in any new golden age of comics. Its been like any initiative before it in recent memory: started hot due to the allure of new #1s and new directions, came back down to earth as firmly the #2 publisher to Marvel. The reality is it didn't achieve anything particularly special. Nobody needs to "work" to ruin Rebirth. Outside of, per usual, Batman, everything had sunk back down to their usual cemented place as #2 well before they started ramping up the preludes to whatever the new DCU will look like after Doomsday Clock and Snyder's crossover. One franchise that's already seen its new direction start, Superman, is currently doing good. Don't know how long that will last but for now its upped sales and nothing is ruined.
    This as well. Rebirth was certainly better than the New 52, but that’s not saying much. In the grand scheme of things it was really much of the same crap we’ve been getting for awhile now.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Is it true. Is Didio steering the DC Universe back to the 'tone' & style of the 'New 52.'
    Actually, I did find more I liked under the New 52 than I have recently in the past year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    I feel Geoff Johns rescued Didio & Lee after the 'DC You' debacle, now they're getting cocky again and starting to push their own agenda again.
    And I liked more of the DCYou titles than I do of what's currently available.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    What is Didio's obsession with New 52?
    I don't think he has an obsession with the New 52 per se. But I do think he still likes the idea of starting from scratch and going modern in tone. Those two concepts though don't automatically equate to "new 52". That was just one interpretation of those concepts, with some ups and some downs. I think he'd enjoy another shot but that doesn't mean the exuection would be exactly the same. The good news is if he does get to whet his appetite in that arena down the line, it will likely be done in a way that will not hinder the history of the main Earth. On the other hand, I think the concerns of the main world reverting back in style or tone though is going to amount to little. If anything we're in a time of a Snyder/King tone, as they're the main players right now, with Bendis likely climbing up that ladder quickly. Things will change, yes, because again they always do every few years now, both publishers subscribe to various forms of a "brand new day!" Its routine by now. Its basically the only bag of tricks either publisher has right now to get big, albeit brief, boosts.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-26-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

There was a lot to love in DCYou and in Rebirth.

New 52, too.

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

Very well said!