View Poll Results: What do you think about DAMON LINDELOF helming HBO's Watchmen series?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Damon Lindelof will do a good/great job with HBO's Watchmen!

2 12.50%
  • Damon Lindelof will mess it all up!

2 12.50%
  • NOT SURE YET! But feeling OPTIMISTIC!

10 62.50%
  • NOT SURE YET! But feeling PESSIMISTIC!

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HBO's WATCHMEN series to come from Damon Lindelof (LOST, LEFTOVERS)

There's an article on the front page of CBR that says that the Watchmen series has been officially ordered by HBO and will be spearheaded by Damon Lindelof, one of the creators of LOST.

I'm not sure how much I like this as I was inspired to create my thread about disappointing TV shows after having recently watched his series LOST on DVD. I've read that his HBO series, The Leftovers, has gotten very good reviews (but so did Lost until the finale).

I'm always glad when comics properties are adapted to movies, TV, and animation, but I don't want another years-long series that disappoints at the end the way Lost did.

Has anyone seen The Leftovers? Does it fall into the same narrative dead-ends and unsatisfying wrap ups the way Lost did or did Lindelof stick the landing on this one?

What are your opinions on Damon Lindelof helming the Watchmen HBO series?

Here's what he had to say in the CBR article:

Lindelof, the co-creator of Lost and The Leftovers, has been clear the drama won’t be a direct adaptation of Watchmen, which he’s described as “sacred.” “Those issues are sacred ground and they will not be retread nor recreated nor reproduced nor rebooted,” he wrote. “They will however be remixed.”

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-orders-watchmen-tv-series/
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 08-17-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't worry. Watchmen has a very defined story and it's really hard to leave it open ended. I predict a ten episode True Detective style season where it wraps up neatly at the end. Probably a test run to see if HBO could pull off more graphic novels like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    What are your opinions on Damon Lindelof helming the Watchmen HBO series?
    Not exactly psyched, but decent work has come from far more humble beginnings.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I wouldn't worry. Watchmen has a very defined story and it's really hard to leave it open ended. I predict a ten episode True Detective style season where it wraps up neatly at the end. Probably a test run to see if HBO could pull off more graphic novels like that.
    I just read that this series is not going to be based on the graphic novel but just take place within the same world and in the present day. It's being called an 'extension' of the graphic novel. My guess is that there will be a lot of new characters. It's basically a sequel from my understanding.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 08-18-2018 at 05:36 AM.

Retired

I would build a shrine to Nora Durst, after binge watching THE LEFTOVERS not long ago. I love love love her. The other characters are also good--and some made my skin crawl. This series is one of the best thought out TV shows, that went beyond a single season, that I've ever seen. I will quibble that each season they clearly had to re-invent the concept to take a different turn on the premise--and had to deal with what cast members they had available (especially in the third and final season). But that's a minor fault in an otherwise faultless series.

If Lindelof can bring the same level of preparation and planning to THE WATCHMEN that he brought to THE LEFTOVERS--and if he has a good cast--then it could be a most satisfying thing to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If Lindelof can bring the same level of preparation and planning to THE WATCHMEN that he brought to THE LEFTOVERS--and if he has a good cast--then it could be a most satisfying thing to watch.
    The cast members have been announced, but not the actual roles that they will be playing:

The cable network also released an announced cast but not their roles: Regina King, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Adelaide Clemens, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Sara Vickers, Dylan Schombing, Lily Rose Smith, Adelynn Spoon.

There's a few names I recognize that seem promising, but others I've never heard of.

Does this cast list impress anyone? I think some may have been on The Leftovers.

BANNED

Black Manta and Alfred?

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

If you didn't like the ending to the film or comic...then well...you're REALLY gonna hate Lindelof's ending lol

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    The cast members have been announced, but not the actual roles that they will be playing:

The cable network also released an announced cast but not their roles: Regina King, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Adelaide Clemens, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Sara Vickers, Dylan Schombing, Lily Rose Smith, Adelynn Spoon.

There's a few names I recognize that seem promising, but others I've never heard of.

Does this cast list impress anyone? I think some may have been on The Leftovers.
    I’m not familiar with many of the actors - well, apart from the ones everyone’s familiar with, of course It’s also intriguingly difficult to guess which roles they might be playing, unusually difficult, really. But then Lindelof has said it won’t be a straight adaptation so they could be playing any character.

(The only one I’d guess at might be Frances Fisher playing Sally Jupiter, but who knows...)

Astonishing Member

After the ending of LOST, why would anyone bother to watch any one of his TV series ever again?!?!?!

Still flying

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    After the ending of LOST, why would anyone bother to watch any one of his TV series ever again?!?!?!
    Because Leftovers was amazing

Quote Originally Posted by DjMichael691 View Post
    Because Leftovers was amazing
    Yeah, one of the best series I've seen in years. And most surprisingly, everything was tied up beautifully and satisfactory at the end. A very rare thing for stories that start off on such a radical concept.
    Live true or lie well.

Well? What did we think? I thought it was a great mix of the original world and new stuff. I am sticking with it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Default HBO Watchmen

Beautifully shot so far.
    There was a squid downpour.
    White supremacist.
    Regina King kicking ass in a mask. Here for that.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Amazing Member

Excellent first episode