Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alterna Comics

All-New Member

Default Alterna Comics

Anybody else picking up the newsprint comics released by Alterna Comics? I started picking them up when they advertised "Bringing Back Newsprint" in April. I've liked the variety, the price ($1.50), and the stories. Mother Russia and Tinsel Town have been my favorites so far. As much as I want more Mother Russia, I like that they are all limited series. Midnight Mystery is coming out soon and looks amazing.

I'm geniunely curious to see if anyone else is reading them. I don't see many (any) other people picking them up at my lcs, but liked what I saw enough to just put all of their comics in my pull box.

Alan Moore Fanboy ZorakLovesComics's Avatar

Tinsel Town is pretty good so far. I read a couple of first issues as well. Doppelganger is my favorite.

All-New Member

I had picked up Doppleganger but didn't read it until just last week. I liked how it just jumped into the story, no real background on the characters. If a story can do that and succeed, it a pretty good concept.

I like the format, though I've not really found a title I've liked yet.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

Quote Originally Posted by meisaj View Post
    I had picked up Doppleganger but didn't read it until just last week. I liked how it just jumped into the story, no real background on the characters. If a story can do that and succeed, it a pretty good concept.

I hope they continue the story. Another interesting one is Trespasser but I didn't finish it. Alterna sells well at the LCS I frequent which leads to titles being sold out. The later issues of Trespasser sold like hot cakes.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm a fan of Tinsel Town--different in just about all aspects: strong woman lead, no super powers, 30s/40s Hollywood movie lot setting, politically aware, low, low cover price. Besides which, it's drawn well, often drawn very well, written well, and a welcome relief to most of the offering from the major comics companies.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I've liked Tinsel Town and the new series Eden had a pretty good 1st issue. They are both on my pull list.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I got to say the third issue of Tinsel Town was pretty solid. The plot is ramping up and I'm loving the art. The way the artist plays with light in some panels is just.... Amazing.
    Last edited by ZorakLovesComics; 08-27-2018 at 02:43 PM.

i'm picking up midnight mystery, looks cool. i like the price point, i'm a lot more likely to give creators i'm not familiar with a chance for that price tag. haven't found another title that really interests me though.

BigLbo, please let us know what's good about Midnight Mystery; thought about it, didn't get it for some reason. Would like to correct any mistake-- thanks.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    BigLbo, please let us know what's good about Midnight Mystery; thought about it, didn't get it for some reason. Would like to correct any mistake-- thanks.
    will do, i only get my new comics shipped once a month though so it might be awhile.

Anyone read the new issues of Tinsel Town and Eden this week?

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Yes-- Read the new Tinsel Town and enjoyed it a lot. Glad to know I'm not the only one!!

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Yes-- Read the new Tinsel Town and enjoyed it a lot. Glad to know I'm not the only one!!
    The ending was pretty badass.

Spectacular Member

I recently picked up Eden #2 and Zero Jumper #4, my first Alterna comics. They're both great values, but Eden especially so with 30 pages of story for $1.50. Eden's story and art were my favorite over Zero Jumper. I'm going to try Exilian next. Hopefully the company is successful with their business model.