Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default The forgotten impact of Annihilation

Not made by me, but this article is Worth reading if you are interested in Marvel Cosmic characters and the questionable things they went through in the last few years.

https://richridernova.wordpress.com/...-annihilation/

To be fair though, with the exception of Thor (if you think he's a space hero) and Silver Surfer, the space heroes have Always been Marvel's redheaded step-children, its only because of the current editorial neglect for continuity and characterisations, which plagued most Marvel books, that it seems worse than ever.

I know a few people who were used to Jack Kirby's epic fairy-tale approach to Marvel Cosmic or Jim Starlin's surreal (or trippy) and philosophical approach, had a few issues with Annihilation's gritty Warhammer-esque military science fiction approach. But i really liked the fact that for once, the aliens were the protagonists instead of being used as an occasional nuisance for the Earth heroes for the billionth time, that the space heroes have finally found their niche after the cancellation of Silver Surfer's ongoing from the 90's, and i like how the storyline turned Ronan and Super Skrull into badass antiheroes. Not to mention that it put the foundation for the modern Guardians of the Galaxy and the Gunn movies.

And to continue, i have to admit that i've enjoyed this story much more than the Civil War event from the same period. And its a real shame that the editors decided to put Brian Bendis (who cared 100 times more about the Street level detective characters than the cosmic characters, let alone character consistency) on the GOTG comics for 4 years instead of a writer who had experience with science fiction or the older Marvel Cosmic stories like Jim Starlin or Ron Marz's stuff.

For what i read so far, Gerry Duggan's run seems to be on the right direction with the Guardians, he's even brought back Adam Warlock (he still failed with Thanos characterisation though). But its still pretty unlikely we are going to get another gritty military science fiction storyline from Marvel at this point.

Astonishing Member

I absolutely loved this event and the things it lead onto like war of kings

It's my favourite cosmic event since Infinity war and ranks in my top events ever from marvel

Fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I absolutely loved this event and the things it lead onto like war of kings

It's my favourite cosmic event since Infinity war and ranks in my top events ever from marvel

Fantastic
    You liked Infinity War more than Gauntlet?

Not sure if I would consider Annihilation forgotten in any way. It is always in great run lists, fans always cite it as a favourite, Marvel themselves seem to maintain its profile and in threads on this board many of us eulogise it.

Incredible Member

I loved this series as well as the Nova and GOTG series that followed it and Conquest, and was saddened when they ended. I really don't care for Bendis, so I skipped most of his cosmic stuff. I was wondering how Duggan is doing with the whole Infinity thing now. Is it any good, and what's the reading order of Countdown, tie-in series etc.?

Personally if it were up to me, I'd be doing everything I could to get Cosmic Marvel back in line with the feeling it had around that time. I'd give Abnett and Lanning a book or two, and I'd throw another to Gillen and another to James Roberts & Nick Roche, given that the IDW universe is rebooting. Get a core of writers together who like each other's work, who have their histories rooted in Sci-Fi and space opera by being brought up on the teat of 2000ad et al. Good dialogue, fun characters, and black humour.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    You liked Infinity War more than Gauntlet?

My mistake I meant Gauntlet

too much mcu recently

Though I'll admit I liked war a lot, crusade was terrible imo

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    Personally if it were up to me, I'd be doing everything I could to get Cosmic Marvel back in line with the feeling it had around that time. I'd give Abnett and Lanning a book or two, and I'd throw another to Gillen and another to James Roberts & Nick Roche, given that the IDW universe is rebooting. Get a core of writers together who like each other's work, who have their histories rooted in Sci-Fi and space opera by being brought up on the teat of 2000ad et al. Good dialogue, fun characters, and black humour.
    I thought this was marvels strongest cosmic period by far

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I think DnA don't write as a duo anymore, unfortunately. Anyway, to be fair here, Marvel DID give Abnett two cosmic books in the last few years: he wrote Guardians 3000 in 2014-15 and Guardians Of Infinity in 2015-16. Those books seemed to be what cosmic fans had been clamoring for, and yet they didn't have enough sales to keep them up. Same could be said about the latest Nova volume and even Duggan's GOTG seemed to underperform, as they cancelled the ongoing and had to turn it into an event to hype the story up. I think there's only so much blame we can place on Marvel here when the books people want are not getting enough support.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 08-18-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Oh i definetely agree with making some parts of Marvel Cosmic a violent dark comedy like Warhammer 40,000. Heck, i Always tought the Kree Empire was like the Imperium of Man, with the Accuser Corps being like the Inquisition. Even better, give Ronan the Accuser his own book! It would be like a space opera version of Judge Dredd.

I think DnA don't write as a duo anymore, unfortunately. Anyway, to be fair here, Marvel DID give Abnett two cosmic books in the last few years: he wrote Guardians 3000 in 2014-15 and Guardians Of Infinity in 2015-16. Those books seemed to be what cosmic fans had been clamoring for, and yet they didn't have enough sales to keep them up. Same could be said about the latest Nova volume and even Duggan's GOTG seemed to underperform, as they cancelled the ongoing and had to turn it into an event to hype the story up. I think there's only so much blame we can place on Marvel here when the books people want are not getting enough support.
    I think plenty of DnA fans left when they got burned out by the stupidity of Bendis run and never gave Duggan a chance. Also Bendis has this niche of fans who follows him everywhere, even when he works on characters and genres they don't care about and they immediatly left with him when he stopped writing the GOTG.

Of course, when it comes to Marvel Cosmic fans, no one will ever be as salty as the Cosmic Book News guys. They are the kings of ''NOT MUH GUARDIANS!'' and ''BRING BACK RICHARD RIDER!''

Marvel tried to belittle the annihilation wave in Secret Empire by saying the Chitauri wave that was attacking earth was bigger than the annihilation wave.

Errr how many galaxies and planets did the Chitauri wave ravage? Zero? Any cosmic aspects imprisoned in the C wave? No? The C wave went on for what seemed like 5 minutes and the A wave went on for years.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Marvel tried to belittle the annihilation wave in Secret Empire by saying the Chitauri wave that was attacking earth was bigger than the annihilation wave.

Errr how many galaxies and planets did the Chitauri wave ravage? Zero? Any cosmic aspects imprisoned in the C wave? No? The C wave went on for what seemed like 5 minutes and the A wave went on for years.
    You could just see this reference as a nod to the past. No need to view it as belittling, it’s just typical comic hyperbole.

Just a note, let’s not forget that Annihilation was not actually an Abnett and Lanning story but was instead Keith Giffen. For my money the quality of the cosmic stories after Giffen are not as epic or interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post

Marvel tried to belittle Giffen and DnA's stories since 2012.

Does anyone here cares about the Chitauri btw?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Marvel tried to belittle Giffen and DnA's stories since 2012.

Does anyone here cares about the Chitauri btw?
    Depending upon which universe the Infinity War event is in they may be entirely wiped out now anyway. Seems pretty clear most comic readers don’t really care about them. They are placeholder villains at best.