Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    My mistake I meant Gauntlet

too much mcu recently

Though I'll admit I liked war a lot, crusade was terrible imo
    Yeah, Crusade was kind of unnecessary, and Starlin already did the ''religion is a tool for brainwashing'' thing better with Warlock and Dreadstar. The interactions between Thanos and Adam Warlock are still good to read though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Marvel tried to belittle Giffen and DnA's stories since 2012.

Does anyone here cares about the Chitauri btw?
    The problem is no one at Marvel can decide if the Chitauri are a functioning warrior society, or a insect hive mind. They could have been an interesting group I would have had them gotten the space stone and use its powers to make instant lightning strike attacks in the heart of civilized space so smaller numbers then most but considering what happened the other Cosmic super powers in the last few years this could have been their chance to rise. There some MCU symmetry but not just "look it's like the MCU so you like it right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    The problem is no one at Marvel can decide if the Chitauri are a functioning warrior society, or a insect hive mind. They could have been an interesting group I would have had them gotten the space stone and use its powers to make instant lightning strike attacks in the heart of civilized space so smaller numbers then most but considering what happened the other Cosmic super powers in the last few years this could have been their chance to rise.
    Tell me about it. I have still some residual salt for what Bendis and Humpries have done to the Kree.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Marvel tried to belittle the annihilation wave in Secret Empire by saying the Chitauri wave that was attacking earth was bigger than the annihilation wave.

Errr how many galaxies and planets did the Chitauri wave ravage? Zero? Any cosmic aspects imprisoned in the C wave? No? The C wave went on for what seemed like 5 minutes and the A wave went on for years.
    I wouldn't say belittled.. I mean they (or anyone trying to hype something) are never going to say "It's like the last thing.. but not as big or impressive". The current thing is always the biggest and best. I don't think there was any ill will intended.

I loved that era and series of books. I'd be all about them trying another relaunch, but given the failures of the past couple attempts, I wonder how likely that is.
    I'd love to see Gillen and maybe Soule get the main book/s, with Zdarsky getting one with a lighter tone. Or maybe Bowers and Sims.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Marvel tried to belittle the annihilation wave in Secret Empire by saying the Chitauri wave that was attacking earth was bigger than the annihilation wave.

Errr how many galaxies and planets did the Chitauri wave ravage? Zero? Any cosmic aspects imprisoned in the C wave? No? The C wave went on for what seemed like 5 minutes and the A wave went on for years.
    I won't disagree with you. But from the perspective of Earth's heroes, how many present for Secret Empire dealt with the original Annihilation Wave? I'm thinking literally none with the possible exception of Wendell Vaughn, who is no longer wearing the Quantum Bands.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I won't disagree with you. But from the perspective of Earth's heroes, how many present for Secret Empire dealt with the original Annihilation Wave? I'm thinking literally none with the possible exception of Wendell Vaughn, who is no longer wearing the Quantum Bands.
    Oh man, Wendell is probably the most disrespected Marvel hero ever. Even more disrespected than Richard Rider and Hank Pym. Editors and writers always pretend he doesn't exist.

I wish someone would tell us what the flark happened to Garthan Saal and that Shi'ar guy.

I thought Annihilation was epic! It's in my top 5 'events' in any comic universe.

It laid the foundation for GOTG, both comic and movie, but I'm just sad Nova Prime Richard Rider got lost in the shuffle again.

IMHO - The final scene between Nova and Annihilus cemented Nova as a certified badass.

You liked Infinity War more than Gauntlet?
    I did.

When I was younger I remember Infinity Gauntlet as this huge, epic battle Royal between EVERYONE and Thanos!!! A few years ago, I picked up the TPB and realized that was ONE issue out of 6. That one issue was epic as it comes... but it was still only one issue. As for the rest??

Adam Warlock was a complete unknown to me.... and I have really NEVER liked him since.

Thanos I didn't know or care about... It was a good one-shot for him, but without the gauntlet I find him overrated.

I have ZERO interest in the cosmic entities of Marvel. Watching Thanos take down the living tribunal and the inbetweener meant nothing...

And I have always HATED Silver Surfer.

So yeah... a story that was 5/6 about the return of Adam Warlock in a galactic chess match with Thanos who was punching eternity REALLY left me cold.

Compared to Secret Wars which I also remembered as Epic... and was every bit as awesome as I remembered with nearly 20 heroes ALL getting the spotlight and ALL doing what they do best... That still has the magic.

Infinity War wasn't as solid a story... but I LOVE the dopplegangers and there is SOOOO much fun stuff going on in the background of every issue and every panel that I still find more enjoyment rereading that one than I do Guantled.

Crusade sucked though... It seems everyone's in agreement there :P It's the one Infinity trilogy I couldn't even get through. Stopped around issue 3 or 4 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I think DnA don't write as a duo anymore, unfortunately. Anyway, to be fair here, Marvel DID give Abnett two cosmic books in the last few years: he wrote Guardians 3000 in 2014-15 and Guardians Of Infinity in 2015-16. Those books seemed to be what cosmic fans had been clamoring for, and yet they didn't have enough sales to keep them up. Same could be said about the latest Nova volume and even Duggan's GOTG seemed to underperform, as they cancelled the ongoing and had to turn it into an event to hype the story up. I think there's only so much blame we can place on Marvel here when the books people want are not getting enough support.
    Yeah, I'd forgotten about DnA not working together anymore

You're right about those other books, but (without making excuses), I'd say that the Cosmic universe generally felt a bit disjointed and forgotten about over those years. Bendis was allowed to do whatever he wanted with GotG, and interact with the rest of the U, but the other books were more discrete. Not necessarily a criticism, but hard to get momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Just a note, let’s not forget that Annihilation was not actually an Abnett and Lanning story but was instead Keith Giffen. For my money the quality of the cosmic stories after Giffen are not as epic or interesting.
    Yes, true - totally agree.

Marvel tried to belittle Giffen and DnA's stories since 2012.

Does anyone here cares about the Chitauri btw?
    Nope. Don't care about them one jot. A mindless swarm. No individual bad guys. At least the Wave had Annihilus, and the Phalanx would occasionally talk about what they were up to, even before Ultron. The more classic Cosmic races like the Kree, Skrulls, Shi'ar all have major characters and antagonists. The Chitauri are a pointless boring plot devise. A less interesting Badoon.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I did.

When I was younger I remember Infinity Gauntlet as this huge, epic battle Royal between EVERYONE and Thanos!!! A few years ago, I picked up the TPB and realized that was ONE issue out of 6. That one issue was epic as it comes... but it was still only one issue. As for the rest??

Adam Warlock was a complete unknown to me.... and I have really NEVER liked him since.

Thanos I didn't know or care about... It was a good one-shot for him, but without the gauntlet I find him overrated.

I have ZERO interest in the cosmic entities of Marvel. Watching Thanos take down the living tribunal and the inbetweener meant nothing...

And I have always HATED Silver Surfer.

So yeah... a story that was 5/6 about the return of Adam Warlock in a galactic chess match with Thanos who was punching eternity REALLY left me cold.

Compared to Secret Wars which I also remembered as Epic... and was every bit as awesome as I remembered with nearly 20 heroes ALL getting the spotlight and ALL doing what they do best... That still has the magic.

Infinity War wasn't as solid a story... but I LOVE the dopplegangers and there is SOOOO much fun stuff going on in the background of every issue and every panel that I still find more enjoyment rereading that one than I do Guantled.

Crusade sucked though... It seems everyone's in agreement there :P It's the one Infinity trilogy I couldn't even get through. Stopped around issue 3 or 4 I think.
    Infinity Gauntlet was never really about the Avengers, FF, X-Men, etc. It was the culmination of Starlin's storyline from the Silver Surfer solo series, which is basically a sequel of his previous work on Captain Marvel and Warlock in the 1970's. As Linkara pointed out in his video on Gauntlet, Marvel was concentrating more on crossovers rather the "events". They probably saw how mini-series events WITH crossovers were driving sales at DC and converted what was pretty much a Silver Surfer story with Thanos and Warlock into Infinity Gauntlet.

Also it is a real shame you hate the cosmic characters, since they are some of the most fascinating and creative parts of Marvel.

BANNED

I thought Giffen's Annihilation and even it's tie-ins were more enticing than Conquest . But I guess Abnett did well enough to make certainty that his comics are as par Giffen's after all DnA's GOTG is one of the best cosmic run imo .

But i don't think whatsoever that they were forgotten , least for those who like to read good cosmic comics .

Talking about Starlin's IG and IW , they were both equally fantastic . I felt Thanos to be quite overrated on IG , when i first read but eventually with time i learned that why he is not only called Thanos The Mad Titan but also an cosmic being whose's intellect certainly brings enticing moments on comics . But sadly this is forgotten with Marvel's plethora of making him a thug.

Amazing Member

Well, Duggan somewhat picked up from Thanos Imperative in his run, even if he did get the continuity not quite right. I’m hopeful Cates shows as much care for cosmic continuity in his GotG run as he has for symbiote history in his Venom books. It’s crazy how we had all those big cosmic events under Giffen and the D&A that just got completely and totally forgotten about around 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    I thought Giffen's Annihilation and even it's tie-ins were more enticing than Conquest . But I guess Abnett did well enough to make certainty that his comics are as par Giffen's after all DnA's GOTG is one of the best cosmic run imo .

But i don't think whatsoever that they were forgotten , least for those who like to read good cosmic comics .

Talking about Starlin's IG and IW , they were both equally fantastic . I felt Thanos to be quite overrated on IG , when i first read but eventually with time i learned that why he is not only called Thanos The Mad Titan but also an cosmic being whose's intellect certainly brings enticing moments on comics . But sadly this is forgotten with Marvel's plethora of making him a thug.
    Oh Absolutely. I agreed that the recent OGNs and Annual by Jim Starlin were needed despite the backlash from younger readers who were butthurt about the slow pacing of the story and Thanos beating the Annihilators, because too many writers have been messing Thanos up since 2012. I do agree that Starlin became redundant in the early 2000's though.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 12-10-2018 at 01:10 PM.

I recently read through many of the series being discussed and quit enjoyed most of it. Annihlation I didn’t care for as a whole, either because I am not knowledgeable of things Marvel cosmic, or it featured characters whom I do not like. However, the Richard Rider/Nova stuff was PHENOMENAL! What a fantastic character! I have never read much of the character but he was definitely my favorite part of that series.

Conquest was fine, but I enjoyed what it lead to even more which was the Star Lord mini series and the DNA Guardians of The Galaxy series. WOW!!!!!!!!! What a fun and extremely well done series!!! After reading it , it made me hate the films even more than I already did. Comic Star Lord from that run definitely made it into my top five favorite Marvel characters.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!