Default Golden Age Shining Knight (Sir Justin) Appreciation Thread

This might be the quickest way to start things out
    (taken from All-Star Squadron #8, cover-dated April 1982):

First story, from Adventure Comics #66 (September 1941):

Last Golden Age story, from Adventure Comics #166 (July 1951)

After that, Sir Justin would have to wait another 20+ years to be featured in another new story.

I doubt it's ever going to happen, but I'd love an omnibus of the Shining Knight's stories. At least he's featured prominently in the Seven Soldiers of Victory Archives. What a fun character!

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I doubt it's ever going to happen, but I'd love an omnibus of the Shining Knight's stories. At least he's featured prominently in the Seven Soldiers of Victory Archives. What a fun character!
    Well, they did reprint some of the Shining Knight stories in a couple issues of The Masterworks Series of Great Comic Book Artists back in 1983.

Was that really thirty-five years ago?!?

from Adventure Comics #67 (October 1941)

Shinning Knight being teamed-up with Vigilante needs to happen again. I would love a mini focused on them.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Boisterously Confused

He's a neat one! One of the few that survived the into the Silver Age before his cancellation.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    He's a neat one! One of the few that survived the into the Silver Age before his cancellation.
    True. I disagree with the assessment DC had where the Seven Soldiers disappeared in 1948 (which corresponds to the Star Spangled Kid's last appearance. Of the five series making up the Seven Soldiers, three of them lasted past that date.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    True. I disagree with the assessment DC had where the Seven Soldiers disappeared in 1948 (which corresponds to the Star Spangled Kid's last appearance. Of the five series making up the Seven Soldiers, three of them lasted past that date.
    Yeah, even tho it made a ripping good story, looking back on it, it was kind of backhanded towards Sir Justin, Vig, and The Original Green Arrow.

But, if Shining Knight last appeared in 1951, that is still considered the "Golden Age". All-Star Comics #57 (February-March 1951), the last issue featuring the Justice Society of America before they returned in The Flash #137 (June 1963),was still considered during the "Golden Age".

For DC comics, many people consider Showcase #4 to mark a starting point for the "Silver Age", and that wasn't published until 1956.

Yeah, even tho it made a ripping good story, looking back on it, it was kind of backhanded towards Sir Justin, Vig, and The Original Green Arrow.
    I like the story itself, it's only the date that I disagree with. Well, that and the location of the top of the world being Everest and not the North Pole, but that's my fan fic / head canon thoughts on it. But in all respects my two issues have little to do with the actual story and are merely superfluous details.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, if Shining Knight last appeared in 1951, that is still considered the "Golden Age". All-Star Comics #57 (February-March 1951), the last issue featuring the Justice Society of America before they returned in The Flash #137 (June 1963),was still considered during the "Golden Age".

For DC comics, many people consider Showcase #4 to mark a starting point for the "Silver Age", and that wasn't published until 1956.
    Silver Age is definitely an incorrect statement, but the Soldiers did mostly make it past their supposed disappearance date of 1948. Justin made it to 1951 and Vigilante made it to late 1954, being possibly the second most active character in Action Comics.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Silver Age is definitely an incorrect statement, but the Soldiers did mostly make it past their supposed disappearance date of 1948. Justin made it to 1951 and Vigilante made it to late 1954, being possibly the second most active character in Action Comics.
    Chastisement accepted. I should have said "past the end of the Golden Age." What do we call that time in the middle?

Chastisement accepted. I should have said "past the end of the Golden Age." What do we call that time in the middle?
    1951 (when Shining Knight had his last solo appearance in Adventure Comics) was still the "Golden Age"; it was just near the end.

When Sir Justin did return in a new comic book story, it was with the other members of the Seven Soldiers of Victory in Justice League of America #100-102 (August-October 1972).

Sir Justin's chapter was told in Justice League of America #101 (September 1972) where he was enchanted into fighting on behalf of Genghis Kahn.

After the Shining Knight returned (with the rest of the Seven Soldiers) in Justice League of America #100-102, his next "new" appearance was with the other Seven Soldiers in a previously unpublished story serialized in Adventure Comics #438-443 (1975) but with new artwork.