Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
I flicked through a copy of the Transformers UK Classics and I am bemused by these editions. The print is tiny, each page framed in a black border only to have more white space around it. I don't see why publishers like IDW or Marvel are so averse to publishing UK content in its original size, including Miracleman as well. Marvel reprints its MGNs from the 80s at a smaller size, but at least it doesn't look bad on the page, and they made the Spider-Man Graphic Novels HC oversized anyway. Otherwise, I can just stick with the Titan Books collections; even if the reproduction quality is lesser, the presentation is superior.
I purchased the UK Classic Transformers - only to wind up selling them later, frustrated with IDW's release schedule.

I concur with you regarding the printing - they shrank the original content to find within the confines of standard American comic. I assume, as I have not had the access to Titan's preproduction, the resizing was an attempt for IDW to save on overall production cost (ie bigger comic, more paper). While I personally found the resizing befuddling in the beginning - I came to appreciate the extras and recolorization, and the resizing did not bother me when I received the second trade.

What bothered me most was IDW's release schedule. I was very excited to read Furman's stories leading up to the Unicron saga that was printed in the US Transformers comic. IDW would solicit a TRANSFORMERS UK CLASSIC trade to be released in Nov. 2012, only to be released in July 2013. TF UK Vol 5 was originally scheduled for a mid-late 2013 release, and of August 2014 - they have not released said trade. The release date keeps getting pushed back.

Are they trying to obtain more orders by delaying? I have no idea, but the delays frustrated me as missed released dates kept creeping along every two weeks, I simply stopped collecting them. I have been reading UK collected editions through my library's interlibrary loan program.

While I dig many of IDW's products - they lost a customer for UK TF