Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    I flicked through a copy of the Transformers UK Classics and I am bemused by these editions. The print is tiny, each page framed in a black border only to have more white space around it. I don't see why publishers like IDW or Marvel are so averse to publishing UK content in its original size, including Miracleman as well. Marvel reprints its MGNs from the 80s at a smaller size, but at least it doesn't look bad on the page, and they made the Spider-Man Graphic Novels HC oversized anyway. Otherwise, I can just stick with the Titan Books collections; even if the reproduction quality is lesser, the presentation is superior.
    I purchased the UK Classic Transformers - only to wind up selling them later, frustrated with IDW's release schedule.

I concur with you regarding the printing - they shrank the original content to find within the confines of standard American comic. I assume, as I have not had the access to Titan's preproduction, the resizing was an attempt for IDW to save on overall production cost (ie bigger comic, more paper). While I personally found the resizing befuddling in the beginning - I came to appreciate the extras and recolorization, and the resizing did not bother me when I received the second trade.

What bothered me most was IDW's release schedule. I was very excited to read Furman's stories leading up to the Unicron saga that was printed in the US Transformers comic. IDW would solicit a TRANSFORMERS UK CLASSIC trade to be released in Nov. 2012, only to be released in July 2013. TF UK Vol 5 was originally scheduled for a mid-late 2013 release, and of August 2014 - they have not released said trade. The release date keeps getting pushed back.

Are they trying to obtain more orders by delaying? I have no idea, but the delays frustrated me as missed released dates kept creeping along every two weeks, I simply stopped collecting them. I have been reading UK collected editions through my library's interlibrary loan program.

While I dig many of IDW's products - they lost a customer for UK TF

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I was just perusing the six Locke & Key hardcovers, and is Locke & Key: Grindhouse totally uncollected in them? It seems odd to leave out just one issue from the collected works. What am I missing here?
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Incredible Member

Does anyone know if IDW is ever going to release the B&W Variant cover for TMNT Ultimate Collection Vol 5?

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The only books I've picked up are the GI Joe Complete Collections and the first two X-Files Classics volumes. They're all of excellent quality, and great values for the price.
    I've been tempted to give GI Joe a shot, but there are so many different titles on the shelves. I have no idea where to start or what's good.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    I've been tempted to give GI Joe a shot, but there are so many different titles on the shelves. I have no idea where to start or what's good.
    That's the same way I felt, and why I decided to go with the classic collections of the 80's Marvel series. There have been so many relaunches/volumes in recent years (both by IDW and other publishers) it's definitely hard to keep track.

If you are cool with old school art and writing styles, I highly recommend these books. The quality is top-notch.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Anyone get the Silent Interlude 30th Anniversary book? Curious if it's a nice book and maybe worth buying since it's only one issue.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I was just perusing the six Locke & Key hardcovers, and is Locke & Key: Grindhouse totally uncollected in them? It seems odd to leave out just one issue from the collected works. What am I missing here?
    BTW, I was able to answer this myself by reading interviews with the creators. Apparently, Grindhouse is a one-shot not explicitly in the ongoing narrative of the main story, and it could be collected in the future along with a few other one-shots they plan to release.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    Well, the IDW Collection OHCs kinda take the guesswork out of things. They collect every title of the G.I.JOE IDW relaunch, in order.
    So if you only get these, then you will get all 3 "seasons" eventually if they keep printing them.

And for the previous question about the Cobra Last Laugh OHC, yes, those issues will be in the IDW Complete Collection OHCs. They will be mixed in with the various G.I.Joe comics that came out that the same time, so reading it that way could be somewhat disjointed. The cool thing about the Last Laugh OHC is it's JUST the Cobra series, all in chronological reading order. It's an excellent read, reads really fast ( I couldn't put it down) and you don't really need to know what's going on in the other G.I.Joe books at the time to enjoy the Cobra OHC.

Also, the classic 80's books and the IDW collection books are great builds - solid bindings, I had no issues with gutter loss, paper is nice and thick, the printed covers / dust jacket-less covers are real nice. I love these books.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Mighty Member

Just got into reading the IDW collections for the new JOE. Ended up buying the first 2 volumes with the extra discount IST was/is offering. So far enjoying Dixon's run on the main series and am looking forward to getting into the acclaimed cobra series in volume 2. But i got to be honest, i've been disappointed in Hama's origin's series. Both the dialogue and the pacing just aren't working for me, which suprised me because of his history with the characters. i thought his work would be the one guarantee i'd like. Also, i thought the origin stories would deal more with each characters individual backstory, but up until the point i've read it's been more like random early joe missions pre-cobra, nothing too specific for the characters. As stated above, the build quality is excellent (but you should expect that for $50 a pop).

Incredible Member

So does anyone know what the difference is between the two Kill Shakespeare editions besides extras? The one released earlier this year, and the one being released in a couple months? Is one a deluxe edition and the other standard hardcover? Just wondering which one I should pick up. I don't care about extras since I never read them more than once, but if one is a deluxe version, I would rather get that...

I have the TMNT Ultimate Collections and they are some really nice hardcovers, I also got the Apocalypse War Judge Dredd reprint they do a good job with the colouring very nice book.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    So does anyone know what the difference is between the two Kill Shakespeare editions besides extras? The one released earlier this year, and the one being released in a couple months? Is one a deluxe edition and the other standard hardcover? Just wondering which one I should pick up. I don't care about extras since I never read them more than once, but if one is a deluxe version, I would rather get that...
    Yeah, the upcoming Backstage edition is oversized:

Kill Shakespeare: Backstage Edition, Vol. 1 Oversized Hardcover
    Anthony Del Col, Conor McCreery (w) • Andy Belanger (a) • (c)
    Collects the entirety of the first 12-issue arc of the award-winning series in one gorgeous hardcover volume. Filled with never before seen art, sketches, a brand new back-up story, and fun annotations by top Shakespeare scholars, this edition is a must-have for both fans of the series and those looking for a thrilling new comics adventure.
    HC • FC • $49.99 • 344 pages • 7” x 11” • ISBN: 978-1-61377-851-7
    “Gripping, violent, and dark fun, even if you’re not fully versed in Shakespearean lore.” –The New York Times

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kalitarix View Post
    Yeah, the upcoming Backstage edition is oversized:

Kill Shakespeare: Backstage Edition, Vol. 1 Oversized Hardcover
    Anthony Del Col, Conor McCreery (w) • Andy Belanger (a) • (c)
    Collects the entirety of the first 12-issue arc of the award-winning series in one gorgeous hardcover volume. Filled with never before seen art, sketches, a brand new back-up story, and fun annotations by top Shakespeare scholars, this edition is a must-have for both fans of the series and those looking for a thrilling new comics adventure.
    HC • FC • $49.99 • 344 pages • 7” x 11” • ISBN: 978-1-61377-851-7
    “Gripping, violent, and dark fun, even if you’re not fully versed in Shakespearean lore.” –The New York Times
    Very nice. Thank you. This one is bought.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

WOW. Volume one of Locke and Key is unbelievable. Very much in the vein of American Horror Story. Complete gripping story with hooks on nearly every page to pull you forward to future volumes. Bloody, but not gory. I can't wait to read more.

Talking about Locke and Key, does anyone own one of the head game slipcase boxed set limited IDW? It's now OOP but I was wondering if the HC inside was the regular 100$ special edition HC? If not does the two books have the same size (without the slipcase)?