Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Not a huge Star Trek fan, but I did enjoy what I read of the short-lived Marvel comics series from the early '80's - which came out at the height of my comic collecting as a kid. This series had both the feel of the original ST show, while also having the '80's Marvel over-the-top "vibe" - in particular, there was one issue with Spock on the cover with a spear in his hand (#10) - the blurb on the cover said "Spock the Barbarian" - considering how un-emotional Spock was (or at least was supposed to be) in the show, when seeing this cover you knew really knew you were reading a Marvel comic.

Here's a link to a website showcasing this series - love those old covers!

http://marvel.wikia.com/Star_Trek_Vol_1

And, I would have bought the IDW Omni (from several years) ago collecting the series in a New York Minute....if:

- They had included the first three issues, i.e. the "Star Trek: Motion Picture" adaptation. Sure, I know these three issues were later included in an Omni adapting all of the films, but the point is that these issues were numbered into the regular Marvel series - so, IMHO they belonged in the Omni because, without them, this Marvel; collection was incomplete (there was nothing that said they couldn't have included them in both the Marvel Omni & the Movie adaptations Omni).

- The recoloring had been somewhat better. I know that it's difficult to re-color old comics (probably more difficult than coloring new comics, based on the little I know of the process). Or, another option would have been not to have recolored these at all, but just kept the original coloring.

In any case, it's too bad that this Omni wasn't handled differently, since I would have really liked to own these again (my original floppies are all long gone...)

IMHO this series falls into the category of several other of Marvel's licensed sci-fi comics from that era, i.e. Battlestar Galactica, Logan's Run, etc. - i.e., series that are underrated & forgotten these days, but definitely still deserve good reprints...
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 01-29-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalitarix View Post
    The Incredible Hulk: Herb Trimpe Marvel Artist Select Series
    Stan Lee, Archie Goodwin, Roy Thomas, Harlan Ellison, Len Wein, Bill Mantlo, Herb Trimpe (w) • Herb Trimpe (a & c)
    This oversized, limited-edition hardcover celebrates the late, legendary Herb Trimpe's time on The Incredible Hulk with a carefully-chosen selection of Trimpe's most impactful issues pulled from his decades long career with Marvel and The Incredible Hulk. Each copy of this 679-copy limited-edition hardcover is slip-cased, hand-numbered, and signed by Herb Trimpe himself.
    HC • FC • $112.50 net discount item • 416 pages • 9" x 13" • UPC: 827714010428
    •Advance solicited for May release!
    •This collection only available in this limited-edition run!
    Is this the first in the mentioned Artist Select series, or is it the same line as the Sal Buscema book, sans the original art version? Are there any more books of this type (oversized, s/n, slipcased) announced?

Joe Hill NOS4A2 novella has recently got the IDW limited treatment including The Wraith comics run (I realy enjoyed this last one, never read the novella though) http://idwlimited.com/shop/nos4a2del...mited-edition/. But on IDW Limited Facebook page they were talks about a 26 lettered edition of this book. Does someone her has some information/pictures about this ultra limited edition?

And on the same FB page, I asked about the special oversized edition of Locke and Key blocked at volume 3 for two years. Here is their response:
    Hopefully you won't have to wait much longer on Volume 4!
    Yess!!

It does seem very odd that they wouldn't release hardcovers of classic Transformers, with the UK issues interspersed in proper timeline order.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I was wondering when they were going to do The Villains Collection. I even thought maybe they wouldn't so I'm glad it's now solicited.
    TMNT The Works vol.5 is also great to see! What with the Ultimate Collection(black&white) ending at vol.6 it shouldn't be long now before the colored versions are also collected and done as a series!! They look great on the shelf and when you read them the enlarged art really pops in either format!

I've been asking this same question about the Classic Marvel Transformers comics for some time Orion!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Is there a TMNT The Works vs the Ultimate Collections discussion someone can point me to? Or summarize?

Amazing Member

@Balakin You were 100% right about the quality of the Corto Maltese books. There's almost no point in them doing hardcovers if the trades are this well-built. I'll read them soon and get back to you on the stories themselves.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Is there a TMNT The Works vs the Ultimate Collections discussion someone can point me to? Or summarize?
    There isn't a dedicated thread on it that I recall. Discussion of them are interspersed within this thread.

Bottom Line:
    Ultimate Collection: 6 volumes, original black & white run by Mirage studios + some material from Heavy Metal Magazine
    The Works: the colorized version Mirage did of the above line. Vol.5 solicited for summer '16
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    There isn't a dedicated thread on it that I recall. Discussion of them are interspersed within this thread.

Bottom Line:
    Ultimate Collection: 6 volumes, original black & white run by Mirage studios + some material from Heavy Metal Magazine
    The Works: the colorized version Mirage did of the above line. Vol.5 solicited for summer '16
    And because I always forget, the Ultimate Collections have commentary after each issue/story, that maybe the Works don't? Or do they?Which is one of the reasons I haven't upgraded to the Works as I don't like having multiple versions of stuff, and I think the commentary is neater than having it in color.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

I thought Teenage mutant ninja turtles IDW ultimate collection vol 2 came out today? I know it was supposed know its changed to march 1st.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    I thought Teenage mutant ninja turtles IDW ultimate collection vol 2 came out today? I know it was supposed know its changed to march 1st.
    Your thinking of the "IDW Collection" Volume 2 which collects the current IDW series that started in 2011 and associated mini-series.

IDW could really do with coming up with a less confusing naming system.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

Bottom Line:
    Also, the Ultimate collections (at least the early volumes) only collected issues by Eastman and Laird. The Works is every issue from the Mirage run.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    IDW could really do with coming up with a less confusing naming system.
    That and actually releasing stuff on time.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos