Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Your thinking of the "IDW Collection" Volume 2 which collects the current IDW series that started in 2011 and associated mini-series.

IDW could really do with coming up with a less confusing naming system.
    Opps your right, I ment IDW collection.

The first printing of TMNT IDW collection vol 1 had the book falling apart for some according to the amazon reviews. My vol 1 is the 2nd printing which is just fine, hope they learned their lesson and do the same vol 2. Don't want to have to wait for a 2nd printing for that, especially when theres such a long wait between volumes.

What other formats is the new tmnt series collected in? Any oversized besides the IDW collection?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    Also, the Ultimate collections (at least the early volumes) only collected issues by Eastman and Laird. The Works is every issue from the Mirage run.
    Sadly that's not the case. You'll notice that they follow the same pattern. The Works vol.3 is where the consecutive issues cease. Issues #13,16&18 are not in either the Ultimate or The Works collection. The Works is just the Eastman & Laird editions in color. I do wish that was the difference.

Then both Volume 4's jump to the start of City at War, issue #48. Leaving a void of issues #22-47 not collected into OHC formats.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Sadly that's not the case. You'll notice that they follow the same pattern. The Works vol.3 is where the consecutive issues cease. Issues #13,16&18 are not in either the Ultimate or The Works collection. The Works is just the Eastman & Laird editions in color. I do wish that was the difference.

Then both Volume 4's jump to the start of City at War, issue #48. Leaving a void of issues #22-47 not collected into OHC formats.
    It is strange that IDW has not put out a comprehensive book with all the issues. Maybe it's a rights issue or IDW is just trying to squezze every dollar out of TMNT possible, and we might get it eventually.

I really wish image or whoever has the right to the image run would collect that TMNT series. The singles are very hard to find.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    What other formats is the new tmnt series collected in? Any oversized besides the IDW collection?
    Volume 1 "Change is constant" got a deluxe edition all by itself but its very pricey for just 5 issues,

The Secret History of the Foot Clan mini series got an over sized "workprint" edition which I belive is closer to absolute than deluxed sized.

Theres a "Heros Collection" which contains the hero centric one shots, and a similar "Villains collection" containing the villain one shots was fished up by Kalitarix a few posts back but thats it as far as I'm aware for the newest TMNT series.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Volume 1 "Change is constant" got a deluxe edition all by itself but its very pricey for just 5 issues,

The Secret History of the Foot Clan mini series got an over sized "workprint" edition which I belive is closer to absolute than deluxed sized.

Theres a "Heros Collection" which contains the hero centric one shots, and a similar "Villains collection" containing the villain one shots was fished up by Kalitarix a few posts back but thats it as far as I'm aware for the newest TMNT series.
    Meh Ill probably just stick with the IDW collections then. They have all the hero/villan one-shots in order with the main series. And vol 2 of the collection which comes out next month also has history of the foot plus the main series plus more one shots. Seems like the IDW collection is the best way to go with this run, just wish there isnt such a long wait between releases. I have vol 1 and havnt even read it, I hate starting a run and left on a cliffhanger until the next book comes out. At this rate, itll take years for all before I get to collection all the series this way. Oh well

Meh Ill probably just stick with the IDW collections then. They have all the hero/villan one-shots in order with the main series. And vol 2 of the collection which comes out next month also has history of the foot plus the main series plus more one shots. Seems like the IDW collection is the best way to go with this run, just wish there isnt such a long wait between releases. I have vol 1 and havnt even read it, I hate starting a run and left on a cliffhanger until the next book comes out. At this rate, itll take years for all before I get to collection all the series this way. Oh well
    I actually just bought vol 1 ( in preparation for vol 2, which has apparently been delayed a couple weeks) and started reading it and am loving it. If the series continues this way it will be a long wait between volumes, but to me the story is too good to wait on an entire run of HCs to be released. I figure I can always just go back and read the previous volume again if needed.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    It is strange that IDW has not put out a comprehensive book with all the issues. Maybe it's a rights issue or IDW is just trying to squezze every dollar out of TMNT possible, and we might get it eventually.

I really wish image or whoever has the right to the image run would collect that TMNT series. The singles are very hard to find.
    I suspect for at minimum issue #8 has that legality as Cerebus guest stars.
    I just jumped over to ComicVine.com to look at the covers and I don't see any other high profile Indie characters. However those independent writers would likely be legally entitled to any proceeds from their work being reprinted and that's a handful of different people to factor in. Maybe with multiple variables it's deemed cost prohibitive?

IDW did collect the issues done by Michael Zulli known as the Soul's Trilogy that are issues #31,35-36 and three Zulli stories published in Shell Shock and Turtle Soup anthology books.
    I think this lends credence to compensation and why the Ultimate/Works collections are just Eastman/Laird. It's easier to work a deal with 1 guy, in this case Laird(who now wholly owns the TMNT brand) and Zulli. Doing a consecutive run book would likely make the book so expensive at the MSRP that too many would balk at it, even with online discounts.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

My memory is a little fuzzy on this point, but I believe there were contractual issues with the other creative teams that came in to do TMNT when it wasn't Eastman/Laird. Like it wasn't originally work for hire but then Mirage wanted them to sign contracts saying "no wait, it was work for hire you guys own it all." Some refused, so their stuff can't be reprinted until a deal is worked out. In Zulli's case either he signed that contract or they later worked out a deal to reprint the material.

Also, it's not Laird who owns TMNT. Laird/Mirage bought out Eastman's rights in TMNT and Mirage in the early 2000s, then sold the TMNT rights to Nickelodeon/Viacom in the late 00s. Nickelodeon currently owns all of the TMNT rights except allegedly Mirage has the rights to publish 18 TMNT comics per year. But either Mirage declines to exercise those rights, or they sold those rights to Nickelodeon too, or they worked out some kind of deal with Nickelodeon to license the TMNT comics to IDW. Eastman is heavily involved with the IDW Comics side of TMNT though. I don't think Laird is really doing anything comics-wise anymore. Mirage Studios still exists, but mostly as a licensing arm for the non-TMNT properties (whatever those may be) and to sell excess TMNT inventory. Mirage sells a lot of Mint On Card 90s TMNT toys on eBay and I think you can buy old TMNT back issues direct on the Mirage website.

I picked up TMNT Ultimate Collection vol. 1 today, been meaning to get around to these forever. The hardcover is on its 8th printing which is pretty crazy.

Also picked up Dragonlance Classics vol. 2...I need to go back and pick up the Forgotten Realms Classics and D&D Classics (not the shrunken omnibuses).

Incredible Member

I didn't have anything to do with it, but this post has a good breakdown, about 2/3 of the way down the page, of exactly where every issue of TMNT v1 is collected. As you can see, most of the non-Eastman/Laird issues were collected in IDW's TMNT Classics series of TPBs. (As kodave said, I believe the ones that weren't were the result of not being able to come to terms with the writers of those issues.)

I'm not the expert, but my understanding of the many "guest issues" is that Eastman and Laird considered them sort of nebulous, continuity wise. Basically "This story didn't 'actually' happen unless we reference it later."

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    I didn't have anything to do with it, but this post has a good breakdown, about 2/3 of the way down the page, of exactly where every issue of TMNT v1 is collected. As you can see, most of the non-Eastman/Laird issues were collected in IDW's TMNT Classics series of TPBs. (As kodave said, I believe the ones that weren't were the result of not being able to come to terms with the writers of those issues.)

I'm not the expert, but my understanding of the many "guest issues" is that Eastman and Laird considered them sort of nebulous, continuity wise. Basically "This story didn't 'actually' happen unless we reference it later."
    That post is two years old though.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Were the TMNT Adventures comics double sized or something? Is that why there are only 4 issues per tpb? Are all of those tpb's still in print?

Seems like the IDW collection is the best way to go with this run, just wish there isnt such a long wait between releases. I have vol 1 and havnt even read it, I hate starting a run and left on a cliffhanger until the next book comes out. At this rate, itll take years for all before I get to collection all the series this way. Oh well
    I hate to break it to you, but unless they for some reason stop producing TMNT comics, but retain the license, you'll never collect them all that way. Because if they lose the license they won't be able to produce the IDW Collections anymore. Just like with Dark Horse and their Star Wars omnibuses...

Incredible Member

IDW is absolutely bleeding TMNT, especially Kevin Eastman's work, dry. I can't blame them, and good for them if it sells, but I don't know who in the world is actually buying all of these workprints and notebooks and one-off annual deluxe HCs and whatnot. Plus original B&W, variant cover B&W, colored editions, etc. And then all of the Red Band/Black/Blue/Johnnie Walker labeled deluxe editions. The only thing that even compares is DC's treatment of Batman with TPBs/HCs/Deluxe/Absolute/Noir/Unwrapped/Omnibus/Artist Editions. I know TMNT are popular but with the way IDW reprints that material you'd think they were the second most popular franchise on Earth next to Batman.