Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647 LastLast

Just got my TMNT volume 3 hardcover and the binding is the by far the best yet. It lays completely flat after a few pages in. The first two volumes I got were very average compared to this binding. Anyone else experience this?

Mighty Member

Good to hear. My first 2 were also subpar.
    Last edited by awayne83; 09-06-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    Just got my TMNT volume 3 hardcover and the binding is the by far the best yet. It lays completely flat after a few pages in. The first two volumes I got were very average compared to this binding. Anyone else experience this?
    Mine is "out for delivery" now so this is good news to hear!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

What are your guys opinion on the works vs the ultimate collection for the classic tmnt books. I sometimes find I have a hard time deciphering what is happening in the black and white art. However the color scans online seem to clear things up.

Also I cant for the life of me find any photos of the works spine, if someone could direct me to a link and help me decide on which versions to get I would be grateful thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    What are your guys opinion on the works vs the ultimate collection for the classic tmnt books. I sometimes find I have a hard time deciphering what is happening in the black and white art. However the color scans online seem to clear things up.

Also I cant for the life of me find any photos of the works spine, if someone could direct me to a link and help me decide on which versions to get I would be grateful thank you!
    I haven't read the Ultimate Collections, but I did a review of The Works v1 on my blog a while back. I even took a picture of the spine for size comparison against other comics (as The Works is bigger than IDW's other HCs).

I quite liked the colouring in The Works - I'm like you, I can find black and white art hard to follow when it's too detailed - it's smartly done and has some really clever ideas in the execution. I found the size of the HC to be a bit awkward though and the matte material of the cover to be a drawback.
    Last edited by Transmit Him; 09-13-2016 at 07:21 AM.

I like the TMNT Works volumes as well as the b&w Ultimate editions. I own both. When Works vol.6 comes out the bulk of the original Mirage TMNT material will be done from the main title. I wonder if IDW plans to collect the Tales of TMNT series next?

I got the first three volumes of TMNT Ultimate editions but notice that they skip some issues and then vol. 4 skips issues #22-47 entirely. Is getting the TMNT Classics colorized tpbs the only way to fill in some of the Ultimate Edition's gaps?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master Hoplite View Post
    I got the first three volumes of TMNT Ultimate editions but notice that they skip some issues and then vol. 4 skips issues #22-47 entirely. Is getting the TMNT Classics colorized tpbs the only way to fill in some of the Ultimate Edition's gaps?
    There some rights issues with some of those older issues of TMNT and Eastmen and Laird let some other creators completely take over for awhile which is why it skips chunks in the ultimate collections, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classics TPB line fills a lot of the gaps but they are only availble in colour and even then theres the occasional issue thats still left uncollected.

Sadly a complete, straight run of the original TMNT series may never happen, or happen for some time, due to those creator issues at play on fill in issues.

Are the issues contained in the TMNT Classics worth checking out? Or do the Ultimate Editions pretty much cover the worthwhile material?

Are the issues contained in the TMNT Classics worth checking out? Or do the Ultimate Editions pretty much cover the worthwhile material?
    The classic line covers the material from Mirage vol. 1 that Eastman and Laird didn't do. It is very hit or miss and a lot of it isn't considered canon. However some material was good and parts of it ending up making it into the official canon by Peter Laird and co down the road.

Personally i would skip classics volume 2 and 5. They're weird and don't add that much to the franchise. The Rat King and Leatherhead get introduced in these issues as well as more Savanti Romero stories.

Are they as good as the Ultimate collections, no they're not. But there is some good stuff here and I think most TMNT fans would enjoy them.

I only wish they would have kept the series in the original black and white.

If you want to do more reading. here's a blog post a guy made about the issues that the classic line covers. TMNT Entity.

Oh and Classics volume 8 picks up where Ultimate Volume 5 leaves off. It starts Mirage Vol. 2 and is written and drawn by Jim Lawson. For the most part it marks the end of Eastman & Lairds TMNT work.
    Last edited by Mormegil; 09-13-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Incredible Member

drd covered the basics, but basically around the teens of the original TMNT series, Eastman and Laird started to become really busy running the TMNT empire -- the cartoon, toys, video games, etc. So they farmed issues out to other members of Mirage Studios, and later to other indie creators they liked. Those stories are almost all considered non-canon, or at best of questionable canonicity. Think of them like the Expanded Universe Star Wars stories -- any of those stories could be incorporated into the "main" canon. Most of them won't be, but as long as they don't contradict an Eastman/Laird story, you're free to consider them part of the canon or not. Eastman and Laird themselves came back to the series for "Return to New York," and then "City at War," the massive story that ended volume 1 of the TMNT comic -- those stories, needless to say, are canon. The "Ultimate Editions" only reprint the Eastman/Laird issues, i.e. the only issues that are "officially" canonical.

Most of them were collected by IDW in the TMNT Classics tpb collection. A small number aren't, because the creators who did those issues wouldn't sign a release allowing those stories to be reprinted.

Ok got it, thanks for the explanation! I think I'm going to skip the TMNT Classics then, no need to add to the "to read" pile at this point!

Fantastic Member

Earlier this year, I saw online that Dynamite was scheduled to come out with a HC reprinting all of the underrated Tarzan Marvel series from the late '70's - there is even an Amazon "fish" up for this - it's supposedly scheduled to come out in December 2016. I even pre-ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tarzan-Buscem...+buscema+years

However, I'm skeptical that this will be coming out in December, since there is still no picture yet of the cover - and we're only about 2 months away from this "supposed" release. Plus, when I got a confirmation e-mail from Amazon for the volume it stated that they weren't sure when this would be released.

Anyone have any definitive news on this?! I'm afraid this will be delayed forever, and then never be released - I've seen it happen before.
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 10-16-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    Earlier this year, I saw online that IDW was scheduled to come out with a HC reprinting all of the underrated Tarzan Marvel series from the late '70's - there is even an Amazon "fish" up for this - it's supposedly scheduled to come out in December 2016. I even pre-ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/Tarzan-Buscem...+buscema+years

However, I'm skeptical that this will be coming out in December, since there is still no picture yet of the cover - and we're only about 2 months away from this "supposed" release. Plus, when I got a confirmation e-mail from Amazon for the volume it stated that they weren't sure when this would be released.

Anyone have any definitive news on this?! I'm afraid this will be delayed forever, and then never be released - I've seen it happen before.
    If this would be idw I wouldn't have much hope but it's actually dynamite so it might will happen although dynamite has a history of not releasing books that were supposed to come out too