Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Has anyone bought TMNT Legends: Soul's Winter by Michael Zulli? Can anyone upload some photos? I've already got the three issues included but I really love Zulli's art and I'm thinking about get this HC too unless I'm not sure about the coloring... So, any help?

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    I double my post here, and ouch! again

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product...rqued-edition/
    *Sigh*
    I'd love to have this edition, but spent the cash in the normal edition when it came out. Can't really double dip this time around, even when the price is more affordable than I'd expect for a s/n edition and, as Vark mentions, it's available for all of us who missed the convention.

As long as there's no s/n variant planned for John Romita Sr's upcoming Spider-Man Artifact Edition, I'm okay...

Quote Originally Posted by Morfeas View Post
    Has anyone bought TMNT Legends: Soul's Winter by Michael Zulli? Can anyone upload some photos? I've already got the three issues included but I really love Zulli's art and I'm thinking about get this HC too unless I'm not sure about the coloring... So, any help?
    Back on page 7
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Fantastic Member

Recently I've heard some raves on a podcast that I listen to for All Hail Megatron. My only experience with Transformers is the movies and Tom scioli's "vs. G.I. Joe" series. Can I jump into this and love it? Is there a better, stronger storyline that you recommend? Should I get the All Hails Megatron hardcover or the IDW Collection Vol. 5 of Transformers?
    Last edited by johnsme; 12-17-2014 at 04:58 AM.

Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

Heh. Transformers comics,for the most part, are like your favorite fast food. Not that great for you but still delicious. A lot of fans didn't like All Hail Megatron but I thoroughly enjoyed it. You could pick up the AHM hc and be fine. I actually think its better than most stuff that came before it but I'm def in the minority. My fave of all of them is actually the one you're reading now. Scioli is just killing that book. His take is probably my fave of all the books but its not transformers proper since it's a crossover.

In the main books now and the last few years they keep changing the look of the 'bots so they're further and further away from G1 cartoon/comic syle which I think is why a lot of us read them now(not you specifically as you stated). Some good ideas and some bad. Kinda ho hum with big splashes here and there. Same as it was before AHM. I've wished for years they would get A list talent on the transformers G1 style book but its never happened. Closest I suppose was abnett and lanning doing a mini called hearts of darkness which was practically unreadable.

Sorry to rant but yes! Pick up AHM! I loved it and thought it was a nice twist and it reads awesome as a total story instead of having to wait each month.My vote for best epic of IDW verse easily. If you pick it up let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Gerald Keefer; 12-17-2014 at 05:18 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Keefer View Post
    Heh. Transformers comics,for the most part, are like your favorite fast food. Not that great for you but still delicious. A lot of fans didn't like All Hail Megatron but I thoroughly enjoyed it. You could pick up the AHM hc and be fine. I actually think its better than most stuff that came before it but I'm def in the minority. My fave of all of them is actually the one you're reading now. Scioli is just killing that book. His take is probably my fave of all the books but its not transformers proper since it's a crossover.

In the main books now and the last few years they keep changing the look of the 'bots so they're further and further away from G1 cartoon/comic syle which I think is why a lot of us read them now(not you specifically as you stated). Some good ideas and some bad. Kinda ho hum with big splashes here and there. Same as it was before AHM. I've wished for years they would get A list talent on the transformers G1 style book but its never happened. Closest I suppose was abnett and lanning doing a mini called hearts of darkness which was practically unreadable.

Sorry to rant but yes! Pick up AHM! I loved it and thought it was a nice twist and it reads awesome as a total story instead of having to wait each month.My vote for best epic of IDW verse easily. If you pick it up let me know what you think.
    Hey! A fellow Clevelander!! I guess I'm definitely gonna take this advice! Actually I ended up finding All Hail Megatron #1 on Comixology for free and read that and decided to get it before reading your comment, but still thanks for the helpful reply! I think I may get Last Stand of the Wreckers as well. Scioli has me primed for 80's animated nostalgia.

Fantastic Member

The HCs from the march solicitations:

Complete Chester Gould's Dick Tracy, Vol. 18
    Chester Gould (w & a & c)
    The 1950s just about come to a close as Chester Gould introduces one character after another whose crimes start off as relatively petty but who end up trapped in larger and more deadly conspiracies. New characters include the gamecock queen Miss Egghead, Cuban secret serviceman Wunbrow, the tragic Headache, and bizarre Popsie and her mother. Throw in a wacko named Pantsy, a cross-country chase after a million dollars of hidden heist loot, Tracy left for dead on a deserted island, a couple more million in slot machine coins, and a throwback to the 1940s in the Mole-lookalike named Rhodent, and it's clear that Chester Gould is definitely not resting on his laurels. Includes all strips from December 15, 1957 through July 11, 1959.
    HC • B&W • $39.99 • 276 pages • 11" x 8.5" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-241-8
    • "What great cartooning... it's time to build new bookshelves to welcome one of America's singular artistic achievements." –Art Spiegelman

Don Rosa's The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, Vol. 1: Artist's Edition HC
    Don Rosa (w & a & c)
    Don Rosa is the universally acclaimed Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge creator and artistic heir to the remarkable legacy of the "Good Duck" artist, Carl Barks. Now, with the full cooperation and assistance of Rosa, IDW Publishing is proud to present the first volume of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. Included in this edition will be a cover gallery and a selection of Rosa's layouts done for these stories.
    HC • BW • $95.00 net discount item • 160 Pages • 14" x 20" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-301-9
    • Advance-solicited for April release!

Polly and Her Pals: Complete Sunday Comics, 1928-1930
    Cliff Sterrett (w & a & c)
    This volume reprints all of Sterrett's Sunday pages from the height of his Surrealistic Period in a large 12" x 16" Champagne Edition format so they can be fully appreciated. The majority of the Sundays have never before been reprinted.
    Polly Perkins is young, blonde, and the apple of many a young man's eye. Yet while Polly is out on the town or frolicking at the beach, it's her family that creates all the hubbub!
    Edited by Dean Mullaney and designed by two-time Emmy winner Lorraine Turner, the book contains the detailed background and biographic material that has made Library of American Comics the "gold standard" in strip reprints.
    HC • FC • $75.00 • 160 pages • 12" x 16" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-244-9
    • Art Spiegelman says, "Polly and Her Pals is a glorious composition...a happy pop synthesis of Art Deco, Futurism, Surrealism, Dada, and Pure Cartoon."

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The IDW Collection, Vol. 1
    Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman, Brian Lynch, Eirk Burnham (w) • Dan Duncan, Mateus Santolouco, Franco Urru, Andy Kuhn, Valerio Schiti, Ross Campbell, Charles Paul Wilson III (a) • Dan Duncan (c)
    IDW's re-launch of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been a hit with fans and critics alike. Now, collect the series in all-new oversized hardcovers that present the stories in recommended reading order. Collects the first 12 issues of the new ongoing series plus the Raphael, Michelangelo, Donatello, Leonardo, and Splinter Micro-Series one-shots spliced in between.
    HC • FC • $49.99 • 384 pages • 7" x 11" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-111-4
    • "IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles perfectly balances complex characters, intricate plots, and incredible action to make a comic that even a non-TMNT fan would enjoy...and if you are a fan of the franchise, there's no reason for you to be skipping this book. It might very well be the best run of TMNT comics ever produced." –Adventures In Poor Taste

Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse: The First Few Pints
    Ben Templesmith (w & a & c)
    An oversized hardcover collection that includes the first three volumes of Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse as well as the special Art of Wormwood. Follow along as Wormwood, Mr. Pendulum, his robotic drinking companion, and Phoebe take on demonic beings nesting in humans, nasty leprechauns, and the revenge of the Brotherhood of the Calamari.
    HC • FC • $49.99 • 412 pages • 7" x 11" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-041-4
    • "Gentleman Corpse is a great example of Templesmith's work; it's weird, funny and more than a little off. If that sounds like a good read to you, pick this up." — Comics Bulletin

And these big TPBs:

Cartoon Network All-Star Omnibus
    Jono Howard, Jesse Leon McCann, and more (w) • Scott Underwood, Maurice Fontenot, and more (a) • Troy Little (c)
    It's an All-Star collection featuring your favorite shows and characters from Cartoon Network! Cow & Chicken, Johnny Bravo, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Codename: Kids Next Door, The Grim Adventures of Bill and Mandy, and Ed, Ed and Eddy get their due in this collection re-printing stories from CN Block Party and Cartoon Network Starring.
    TPB • FC • $24.99 • 300 pages • 6" x 9" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-142-8
    • Can't get enough of the Super Secret Crisis War? Here's more stories with your favorite characters!

Transformers: Spotlight Omnibus, Vol. 1
    Simon Furman, Nick Roche, Stuart Moore (w) • Nick Roche, MD Bright, Rob Ruffalo, Robby Musso, Marcelo Matere, Gudio Guidi, Don Figueroa, Emiliano Santalucia, Alex Milne (a) • Nick Roche (c)
    Individual Transformers stories focusing on a vast array of characters such as Shockwave, Nightbeat, Kup, Arcee, Grimlock, Optimus Prime, and more! Volume 1 collects the first 13 issues of the Spotlight series.
    TPB • FC • $24.99 • 316 pages • 6" x 9" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-246-3

Finally! A TMNT Collection 1 solicit! My b-day's in march. It might make a great present .

Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnsme View Post
    Hey! A fellow Clevelander!! I guess I'm definitely gonna take this advice! Actually I ended up finding All Hail Megatron #1 on Comixology for free and read that and decided to get it before reading your comment, but still thanks for the helpful reply! I think I may get Last Stand of the Wreckers as well. Scioli has me primed for 80's animated nostalgia.
    Wonderful Cleveland! Heh..last stand of the wreckers is good stuff. And yes, I wish Scioli would get his own TF book and let him go crazy! If you get further into the IDW verse, like right after AHM, the art becomes unbearable. Its like a horrible cross between G1 and the movies and it's a big bowl of wrong.

That wormwood collection looks great

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I just noticed that IDW reprintef Shaman's Tears a few years ago. Is it good?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I've seen some talk about the Ninja Turtles around here but never really paid attention to it. But now I fell in love with the Nickelodeon series and started to think about the comics. What's the best stuff around? I always loved the various animated turtles (original cartoon when I was a kid, 2003 series, but most of all the newest one) but I'm not sure I would enjoy the grimm-gritty, underground originals (well, the artwork is...I'm not that crazy about it). How is the 2011 IDW ongoing? The artwork seemed quite good. Is it generally good comics or is it for Turtle fans mostly?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I've seen some talk about the Ninja Turtles around here but never really paid attention to it. But now I fell in love with the Nickelodeon series and started to think about the comics. What's the best stuff around? I always loved the various animated turtles (original cartoon when I was a kid, 2003 series, but most of all the newest one) but I'm not sure I would enjoy the grimm-gritty, underground originals (well, the artwork is...I'm not that crazy about it). How is the 2011 IDW ongoing? The artwork seemed quite good. Is it generally good comics or is it for Turtle fans mostly?
    I have pretty much experienced every variation of the turtles in all media and I can say that the current IDW is my favourite example of them.

Do you self a favour and preorder the hardcover that's out in March. It collects the first 12 issues of the series and 5 issues called micro series which work as single character focused one shots that tie into the series narative.

As someone itching to get into the TMNT comics I agree with what Russ840 says. It's an easy-not so expensive- way to get into the comics without having to delve deep into it. There is also the original series from the 80's that has 5 Ultimate Collection's that collect what is considered canon storyline. Most-if not all- is work done by the original creators. It's all black & white. The problem with that is, once you get into the original series, you'll want to collect all other context related to it and that can really take you down the rabbit hole. If you're impatient or want to read further into the new IDW series, you can collect the trades. They're pretty far into the story based on how many volumes are out.

Thanks guys, I think I will wait for this new hc or check if the tpbs are cheap enough (but IRRC IDW is not the cheapest company).
    So I guess the original series is good too? Or is it just an interesting read to see where the turtles coming from?