Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What were Claremont intentions before he was kicked out of the X-Books?

I had seen many claims constanly about what he planned to do with the franchise post Muir Island and i'm aware of some of then, but is there any website or interview when talks in length about this?.

It was released. It’s called X-Men Forever.

His main plot was Wolverine going bad which was stolen by Millar later on during Enemy of the State.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

And X-Men forever was bad. So its a good thing he was taken off the books honestly.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I thougth that only a few things of his original plan (like that Jean/Logan story), were actually put on X-Men Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I thougth that only a few things of his original plan (like that Jean/Logan story), were actually put on X-Men Forever.
    Depends on who you ask, what day of the week it is, and how much they've had to drink.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Thanks for the link,very interesting indeed

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    And X-Men forever was bad. So its a good thing he was taken off the books honestly.
    This. It's amazing to me how many people who've read that want Claremont writing the X-Men again.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I dont think thats quite fair. Forever was written about 20 years after he left the line and long past his prime. I think he would have faired better had he been allowed to craft his plots back in the early 90s. The industry had changed and so did his writing style. Forever was self contained and he was free to do whatever he wanted. In the 90s he would be limited by editorial and the other books to keep him in line. And being written 20 years later, ideas change and it isnt exactly what we would have gotten. The books eventually recovered by X-men and UXM were a mess for about a year after he abruptly left

BANNED

Actually not a bad idea. The premise sounds interesting & covers some of his more complex narrative beats. Much of it would come down to execution.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker Venom View Post
    This. It's amazing to me how many people who've read that want Claremont writing the X-Men again.
    I quite enjoyed a lot of Forever actually, although I must say at times it read more like a fan-fiction as Claremont indulged his fetishes of body modification and power swapping a bit too much. The character voices were spot on though and read to me like the "real" X-Men.

But make no mistake, X-Men Forever was NOT what Claremont had planned for the X-books if he had stayed on in the 90s, aside from a couple of plot points like Sinister being a child.

He treated Forever more like Exiles than the true continuation of his 90s run.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I quite enjoyed a lot of Forever actually, although I must say at times it read more like a fan-fiction as Claremont indulged his fetishes of body modification and power swapping a bit too much. The character voices were spot on though and read to me like the "real" X-Men.

But make no mistake, X-Men Forever was NOT what Claremont had planned for the X-books if he had stayed on in the 90s, aside from a couple of plot points like Sinister being a child.
    And Sabretooth being Wolverine's father, and a Sinister Clone Sabretooth being responsible for the Morlock Massacre.

Fantastic Member

No, I get that much, and the link posted earlier affirms that. I'm basing what I mentioned earlier on what it was we DID get, and that despite that showing that Claremont doesn't have the chops anymore, a lot of fans still seem tp think him coming back to write the X-books again would right the ship, when it wouldn't.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPsylocke View Post
    It was released. It’s called X-Men Forever.

His main plot was Wolverine going bad which was stolen by Millar later on during Enemy of the State.
    X-Men Forever isn't exactly what he would have done if he had remained on Uncanny. In fact, Claremont has stated that, while that may have been the remit for the book when it was originally conceived, he was able to do things there that he never would have done on Uncanny. The reason being that Marvel editorial was very strict about what could/couldn't be done with the characters.

With Forever he just went wild knowing that he COULD. I think the only idea that he really wanted to do, but couldn't at that time, was kill Wolverine and have him come back brainwashed as a mysterious enemy who plagued the X-Men until his identity was learned. That would have set Jean on a mission to break through to him. A point that would have planted seeds for her cheating on Scott with Logan. Subsequently leading to her marriage ending up on the rocks.

Edit: He also (as has been mentioned above) intended to reveal Sabretooth as Wolverine's father. Plus he also had plans for Storm. But a big plotline he wanted to build towards was going to be a mutant war.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 08-19-2018 at 04:17 PM.