Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I'm disappointed it seems people haven't learned their lessons from HoM, Decimation, Terrigenesis. We just got through these type of extinction storylilnes, no please, stay away from those.

The writing in the 80s and early 90s was better because they had different writing priorities, a single writer at the helm of the franchise with a clear vision that had room on the book to write long-term is very different from today's format and lack of long-term of continuity.. Now we have sequential writing, constant streams of rotating artists and writers, and changes in vision and policy every couple of years. There isn't any consistency.

Why blame the characters in limbo to say they're dragging the quality of the books down, when that's clearly not a factor at all. At worst, they are window dressings that slightly take up background space or aren't even present in the stories being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I'm not necessarily for killing characters for this reason, but I am all for not creating new characters with duplicate powersets when there are perfectly good characters not being used.

Case in point: Trinary in X-Men Red. Why create her when you have Hijack (from Bendis's Uncanny), who has the same powerset and isn't being used? I get that you have to do that much more legwork when using a pre-existing character, editorially-speaking, but it beats creating another character that'll just get tossed away (or worse, killed by another writer) after that writer's run is over.
    Maybe they should just stop creating students, full stop. It could be the only difference in Trinary and Hijack is age. She's presented as adult, and he was a student. Adults, to me anyway, seem more likely to get used (as well as making more sense in a war type environment).

What I miss is supporting cast outside the X-Men. What happened to having a significant other, or an outside friend? That could be a way to use a variety of different character types without making even more mutants who'll just get shelved. It seems a better use of creativity, if a writer is just hell bent on making someone new. We need Moiras, Candys, Stevies, Lees, Malitas, etc. It also presents an opportunity to get some individual character growth.
    Last edited by Sundown; 08-20-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I'm disappointed it seems people haven't learned their lessons from HoM, Decimation, Terrigenesis. We just got through these type of extinction storylilnes, no please, stay away from those.

The writing in the 80s and early 90s was better because they had different writing priorities, a single writer at the helm of the franchise with a clear vision that had room on the book to write long-term is very different from today's format and lack of long-term of continuity.. Now we have sequential writing, constant streams of rotating artists and writers, and changes in vision and policy every couple of years. There isn't any consistency.

Why blame the characters in limbo to say they're dragging the quality of the books down, when that's clearly not a factor at all. At worst, they are window dressings that slightly take up background space or aren't even present in the stories being used.
    I thoroughly agree with you. The only thing I'd like to see culled is all the clones, dimensional and time displaced repeats. I'd also like to see the writers stop using characters in multiple books. That way more characters can have their day in the sun.

And as for oldies dragging the books down, do any of you whose opinions lean toward this idea actually know how old Captain America, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman are? They are just as popular as when they first came out, so I see no need to ditch characters who have stood the test of time.

Honesty though, you will always see characters eventually resurrected or brought out of limbo because that is the way copyright works. Use them within a certain time period or lose them, so Marvel will continue to bring back characters that are dead or in limbo so that they can keep the rights to them, including villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown View Post
    Maybe they should just stop creating students, full stop. It could be the only difference in Trinary and Hijack is age.
    Wasn't Hijack explicitly said to be 30? Trinary seems to be much younger, actually.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Wasn't Hijack explicitly said to be 30? Trinary seems to be much younger, actually.
    I'm sure someone will retcon him to being a teenager soon

The mutant universe is certainly watered down, which is one reason I like the 1610 as much as I do.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
    Telepaths:
    ... are way too numerous...
    I think this actually makes sense. In terms of powers, augments should be the most common - super strength, speed, reflexes, healing, senses, intelligence, durability, telekinesis, telepathy, pyrokinesis, etc. with more advanced mental capabilities like teleportation and energy manipulation being on the outside, but still along these lines. These are all powers that come from aspects of humans that is already present, increases to body and mind. The more exotic powers should actually be turning your body into steel, optic blasts, flying (without the aide of telekinesis), controlling the weather and everything else we see.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Tell you the truth I don't even understand these types of fans- you guys want to kill off these guys? I want to make them a crew of blackbird pilots and mechanics, I want a staff of teachers and admin who aren't X-men, I want people other than Beast to be working lab at the mansion. I want Cecilia Reyes to open a clinic nearby the mansion and students go to work there. I want Bishop to be a police chief and students go to work at the department. I want Dazzler to open up a mutant-friendly club. I want a flesh out integrated town with mutants and humans living it. And all those characters you want to be killed you can see them from time to time in stories where they can now play a small part of a fleshed out world.

So tell me whose idea is better to kill off these guys or these stories in one book with the tagline "what happens to mutants when they don't become X-men"

-Bishop hires Anole and Rockslide they are rookies on an integrated city police force

-A new crazy drug is affecting mutants and humans. Reyes Medical center doctors Mercury and Transonic are trying learn what is the cause so they can save people

-Did I mention Dazzler would have the hottest club where stars and athletes would mix around with Avengers and X-men?

- Rescue Squad Firestar, Lifeguard, Triage, Blink a group of mutants who choose to be Firefighters, EMTs, and other rescue personnel.

The X-men is a dope concept while they are doing all they are doing superhero stuff, but you can be telling another kind of stories with the property. I mean they kinda tried it before with District X but that was trying to hardcore police procedural not story of X-men integrating into the world. It is a better idea than culling group of characters.
    I like where you're going with this. There's no reason that some of our beloved X-Men have to stay on the battlefield when there are so many options available to them. Some great ideas here. Bishop taking on some X-Men in training for the police force would be so awesome; I'm not sure if Rockslide and Anole are the best fit, but I'd have Bling as Bishop's protege. Def on board with Dazzler's Club as a place for the elite of the MU- Tony Stark, Janet van Dyne, Mary-Jane Watson, Millie the Model, Roberto da Costa, Warren Worthington & Lila Cheney among others (Mystique regularly attends under the guise of celebs).