Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Please let the culling begin...

Without knowing what exactly Disassembled is...

I really want the X-men to get rid of some of the duplicate powers/characters... I know many may not be fond of this idea. But I truly feel its weighing down the line.

The Fire Nation:
    We had Sunfire, Firestar, Firefist and Magma. Did we need Pyro II? Sunpyre? Match? Oya?
    Moreso, considering the Human Torch and Toro are out there, and whoever else.

Earth Kingdom:
    Bling, Rockslide, Onyxx?

Phoenixes:
    Jean, Rachel, Hope...

Mental cases with attitude:
    X and Quentin Quire...

Random powers:
    Lifeguard and Darwin...

Inventors:
    Forge and Box...

Anyone who is invulnerable and strong.

Teleporters:
    Nightcrawler, Magik, Vanisher and Blink... and the other one who can teleport through doors...

Healers:
    Triage and Elixir...

Telepaths:
    ... are way too numerous...

Namor alone has this issue with Namora and Namorita/Kymaera... but that's not really an Xmen problem.

I know I'm missing a few... but I wish the writers instead of always creating new... use or adapt existing if you want that powerset in your book. Not against new... just a not a copy or a gender swap...

Not everyone can have their own powers.

Also, Magma doesnt really have "fire" powers in that sense. Oya and Sunfire and Match all use their powers in vastly different ways.

......and Onyxx is dead.

Yes, let’s get rid of Lifeguard, Box & Match. They are clogging up our books.

I don't really get why a culling is needed or how that will make books any better.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    ......and Onyxx is dead.
    Sunpyre and Firefist are dead too.

Astonishing Member

some of the characters you mentioned have been dead for many years
    Sunpyre died like in 2001, Onyx died a decade ago

Other characters have been in limbo for a very long time, so the complaint seems in vain. Both Lifeguard and Darwin have been in Limbo for many years.

Other characters dont actually have similar powers, like Forge (intuitive inventor who can create anything even if he doesnt understand how it works) and Box (person who can reshape inorganic materials with his mind to turn them into machines, and can merge himself with the machines he creates). Jeffries isn't even a genius, he can only make robots and vehicles by himself, for anything else he has to work for a super scientist, like Forge.

Vindicator (James Hudson) from Alpha Flight, was resurrected by Jeffries and Forge working together, Box couldnt do it alone because he doesnt have the super intellect of Forge.

Ernst Toller biography

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Not everyone can have their own powers.

Also, Magma doesnt really have "fire" powers in that sense. Oya and Sunfire and Match all use their powers in vastly different ways.

......and Onyxx is dead.
    Sunfire and Firestar also don't have fire powers, their names are very misleading. Both use microwave radiation.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

The culling should start with the ones who have been around for way too long and need replacing

Generational change is key to keeping the X-Men feeling real and vibrant
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member

And then the writers will just create more new characters, because the X-Men comics have always lent themselves to character creation. For X-Men, writers and artists don't have to worry about making up any pseudo-science nonsense to create an origin event and they don't have to worry about the characters' viability as a solo act since it's a team-centric line. So, they can get right down to creating the character or at least the base of the character so that it can be developed by other creators later. Also, since this line is heavy on coming-of-age stories for young characters, there seems to be a demand for new young characters every decade or so.

Look, we've all heard the "too many mutants" thing before. It led to the Morlock Massacre. It led to the killing of the Hellions. And it led to the Decimation. And though some good things came out of those events, real long-term benefits are questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Sunpyre and Firefist are dead too.
    Plus, no offense, but some of these categories don't make sense. "Mental cases with attitude" X & Quire....i mean besides both of them being overwhelmingly disliked right now, I really don't see an adept comparison between the two. Certainly not anything character-wise.

Killing characters just because someone else has the same type of power only serves to piss off fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Sunfire and Firestar also don't have fire powers, their names are very misleading. Both use microwave radiation.
    Yeah, most of the people don't have the same powers, even to their namesake, as the people they're being compared to. Christopher and Joshua both heal, but the latter has to balance his healing with destruction/death because his body now operates under a sort of yin/yang after his powers skyrocketed due to the repeated trauma of dying too many times. Chris is strong enough to reanimate dead bodies, but not enough to fully resurrect anybody.

Let's not even talk about the teleporters....only two that are remotely close in sameness are Pixie and Magik (and that's only because it's both rooted in magic).

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Let's not even talk about the teleporters....only two that are remotely close in sameness are Pixie and Magik (and that's only because it's both rooted in magic).
    But that's not even true. Magik's teleportation discs are her mutant ability (which can be augmented by magic) , whereas Pixies are derived solely from magic.

BANNED

I'd be happy to get rid of a few dozen telepaths.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    some of the characters you mentioned have been dead for many years
    Sunpyre died like in 2001, Onyx died a decade ago

Other characters have been in limbo for a very long time, so the complaint seems in vain. Both Lifeguard and Darwin have been in Limbo for many years.

Other characters dont actually have similar powers, like Forge (intuitive inventor who can create anything even if he doesnt understand how it works) and Box (person who can reshape inorganic materials with his mind to turn them into machines, and can merge himself with the machines he creates). Jeffries isn't even a genius, he can only make robots and vehicles by himself, for anything else he has to work for a super scientist, like Forge.

Vindicator (James Hudson) from Alpha Flight, was resurrected by Jeffries and Forge working together, Box couldnt do it alone because he doesnt have the super intellect of Forge.

Ernst Toller biography
    Basically Forge is all the hype of Thomas Edison except it's real and not PR, where Box is a superpowered pilot/mechanic. It's not the neatest metaphor, but I think it works.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I'd be happy to get rid of a few dozen telepaths.
    I already think Marvel is doing this to a certain extent. Emma is a villain now, Quentin is an Avenger, X barely exists, Rachel is probably getting benched. It's down to Jean and Betsy now.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    But that's not even true. Magik's teleportation discs are her mutant ability (which can be augmented by magic) , whereas Pixies are derived solely from magic.
    I had just mentioned magic because the stepping discs were connected to Limbo as a midpoint. I don't know why that is but I assumed magic.