Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    His powers are Plasma based.. Firestar manipulates microwaves and taps into ambient Electromagnetic energy..
    Sunfire manipulates nuclear plasma, like the radiation from Hiroshima that hit his mother(have they retconned that for time since his origin story?). Firestar is primarily in the microwave frequency of EMR. Really, they do overlap a bit, so the distinction is largely semantic, especially in terms of how they use their powers(to burn/melt stuff with fiery plasma 99% of the time).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

But she manipulates earth and geothermal energy..
    Almost no one uses Magma like that anymore. She usually is just a random fire chick(she even flies most of the time now!).

But she manipulates earth and geothermal energy.. Oya shifts temperature, Match has an unique look so why would they go anywhere.
    She used to but like I said everyone writes and draws her like she's the Human Toch. her powers havent been portrayed to be earth based in a long time. She's a flier that throws and manipulates fire. She already gets no interest from creators and the way she is utilized is quite generic and has made her even more redundant

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Tell you truth I don't even understand these types of fans you guys want to kill off these guys?
    Folks who don't read the books generally lead that charge.

It's like saying get rid of Static because you got Black Lightning.

Aside from both being black-both their powers are different. If you took all the version of Static and hook him up to Ultimate Nullifier-he could power it up and kill Galatcus.

Also having the same based powers does not mean you will use they the same way.

See Sailor Moon-Mercury & Neptune have water based powers. Mercury's is more defensive and Neptune's is not.

See Power Rangers. How many version of dino/animal based did we see of them? originals, Dino Thunder & Dino Charge, Samurai/Ninja Steel/Ninja Storm. And aside form Jetman-how many could fly?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Even if they do, they're villains again.
    That seems very likely (although based on how such things have been handled in the past, I don't think it's going to be much of a problem when Marvel decides that the Cuckoos are good guys again).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'd be happy if Gabby's mouth was duct taped shut to keep her from spouting cutie, stupid stuff.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    The culling should start with the ones who have been around for way too long and need replacing

Generational change is key to keeping the X-Men feeling real and vibrant
    Also a good way to alienate half the established fandom, including me.

Just spread characters around in different books with different themes, which has often been done successfully.

What we need for better X-books is writers who actually know how to tell a good story.

I don't totally disagree. I think paring down the X-Men is smart and removing duplicates is a good start (particularly time-travel dupes and clones). I think there could be good roles for characters outside of being X-Men, esp. for the student body.

I say this knowing that some of my faves would get pushed aside, but I think it'd make for better books.

Astonishing Member

Magma, when used correctly, is VERY different to the Human Torch, Sunfire, Firestar etc

She can't fly, she shoots magma and causes earthquakes, and she can travel by mixing with the magma underneath earth reappearing at another point of the planet. As in, in Age of Apocalypse there is a meeting of the Human resistance against Apocalypse, in Europe, suddenly an earthquake happens, and Magma appears from below to kill the people assembled there.

And in Decimation when MDay killed her boyfriend (he had fire powers, they were exploring a volcano, he was depowered and burned alive), she got crazy, had a mental breakdown, and reappeared in another latin american country, traveling thousands of kilometers underground, and she was causing earthquakes and eruptions.
    It's almost like teleportation or fast travel by mixing with the magma inside earth, she can reappear anywhere.

Pyro is also very different from the others. He cant create fire, he can only control it, he can be burned, and his fire creations are solid, when he creates a firebird, it can lift a person and it continues to act on its own until Pyro destroys it or it's destroyed.

Many writers just don't do research. Guggenheim had Magma flying.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    I'd be happy if Gabby's mouth was duct taped shut to keep her from spouting cutie, stupid stuff.
    I will fight you.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Magma, when used correctly, is VERY different to the Human Torch, Sunfire, Firestar etc

She can't fly, she shoots magma and causes earthquakes, and she can travel by mixing with the magma underneath earth reappearing at another point of the planet. As in, in Age of Apocalypse there is a meeting of the Human resistance against Apocalypse, in Europe, suddenly an earthquake happens, and Magma appears from below to kill the people assembled there.

And in Decimation when MDay killed her boyfriend (he had fire powers, they were exploring a volcano, he was depowered and burned alive), she got crazy, had a mental breakdown, and reappeared in another latin american country, traveling thousands of kilometers underground, and she was causing earthquakes and eruptions.
    It's almost like teleportation or fast travel by mixing with the magma inside earth, she can reappear anywhere.

Pyro is also very different from the others. He cant create fire, he can only control it, he can be burned, and his fire creations are solid, when he creates a firebird, it can lift a person and it continues to act on its own until Pyro destroys it or it's destroyed.

Many writers just don't do research. Guggenheim had Magma flying.
    He's not the only one and I cant blame him for this as Magma has been depicted as being able to fly for like 10 years. In a universe where it isnt uncommon for characters to get upgrades and power changes, its not hard to assume that she got one too when artists have been drawing her as a female Human Torch for the past decade

ETA: To add to this, I think the artist is more to fault here than Guggs. His story/text didnt call for flying. The artists had her airborne
    Last edited by Havok83; 08-19-2018 at 08:25 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    Also a good way to alienate half the established fandom, including me.

Just spread characters around in different books with different themes, which has often been done successfully.

What we need for better X-books is writers who actually know how to tell a good story.
    Thatss the problem with American comics...relying on an old ass established fandom

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    Thatss the problem with American comics...relying on an old ass established fandom
    Indie titles, that way ---->

Being bored I went look up couple of the fire mutants(and 1 inhuman) to show a point

Pyro-Fire Manipulation: Pyro was a mutant with the psionic ability to cause any fire, however small, to grow in size and intensity and to take any form that he desired, even that of a living creature

Oya-Thermokinesis: Idie has the ability to alter temperatures around her. However, she cannot simply create heat and cold; she can only rechannel temperature, thus, she needs presence of heat to generate cold, and vice versa

Firestar- is a mutant whose body stores ambient electromagnetic energy, which she can project and manipulate for various effects. As she alters the electromagnetic wavelengths, they form a microwave aura around her body, at which point she mentally "pushes" the microwaves away from herself. Doing this allows her to release heat, light and radiation into her environment at various intensities. By focusing microwaves on a specific target, she can cause it to burst into flames, explode or melt

Sunfire-Shiro's mutant powers enable him to absorb solar and other radiation to generate the process of ionized matter (usually air) through a mentally-triggered unknown biochemical process so that it is converted to plasma, the superheated state of matter.

Match-Match has the mutant ability to psionically manipulate molecules in the air exciting them to burst into flame.

Sunspot-He can absorb solar energy and can utilize it for physical strength.

Magma- Geo-thermokinesis: She can psionically cause magma, or molten rock, from far beneath Earth's surface to rise to and break through the surface, forming miniature volcanoes.

Geokinesis: Amara can psionically control the movement of the tectonic plates within the Earth's crust within limited areas

Inferno-capable of generating plasmoid flames from thin air, not requiring the consumption of oxygen or combustible objects to maintain the flames. He has been seen being able to increase the temperature within his proximity which allows him to engulf his entire body into a flaming/molten rock form, fire concentrated plasma blasts from his hands and endure extreme heat and flame without being harmed

Pyroplasmic Regeneration: Dante once had his arm chopped off during an excursion but his power reintegrated a whole new one for him.

The closet in powers are Sunfire and Match. But Sunfire uses Plasma, Match is more regular fire. Every one of these fire users are different Pyro(original) couldn't make fire himself, Oya needs something to rechannel,Firestar is using Microwaves, Sunspot is basically the Solar power Incredible Hulk, Magma is very much "earth bender", Inferno has similar powers to Magma but he also has a Healing factor. The big point is you could make a team book most of these characters and you wouldn't have two characters doing the exact same thing with a good writer. Yes everyone of them can create fire but they are uniquely different as opposed to most of telepaths. What is the real difference between Xavier,Jean, Rachel and Emma just basically power level .But it doesn't have to be that way what is difference between Karma(possession), Moonstar(fear), and Pyslocke(psi knives).

If you are looking and you are seeing the same exact thing for the fire users you are wrong imo
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-19-2018 at 11:46 PM.

'Regular fire' is low grade plasma. Electromagnetic energy can also be called electromagnetic radiation. Magma is the most distinct 'fire user' in theory, but she's been folded into the general use by lazy writers/artists of the last decade. The rest of them might have theoretical differences, but they are moot due to their actual usage.