Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    'Regular fire' is low grade plasma. Electromagnetic energy can also be called electromagnetic radiation. Magma is the most distinct 'fire user' in theory, but she's been folded into the general use by lazy writers/artists of the last decade. The rest of them might have theoretical differences, but they are moot due to their actual usage.
    It is more than theoretical difference Sunfire, Pyro, Firestar, Oya, Sunpot, Magma are all different and for this thread it isn't moot to show that. You can't down play that Pyro can make animated fire animals or Sunspot fills more of the powerhouse slot than the energy projector slot. What the writers do is irrelevant the point is they are clearly different they were allowed to they would be used different it is not like Jean Grey and Rachel Grey with exact same power that can't be applied any differently. Sunspot, Amara and Oya for example could be on the same team and you wouldn't really get redundancy. In fact Magma and Sunspot being around each made so they had to highlight the difference , In the same way Idie and Iceman were also different. The simple point was look a little deeper at characters

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is more than theoretical difference Sunfire, Pyro, Firestar, Oya, Sunpot, Magma are all different and for this thread it isn't moot to show that. You can't down play that Pyro can make animated fire animals or Sunspot fills more of the powerhouse slot than the energy projector slot. What the writers do is irrelevant the point is they are clearly different they were allowed to they would be used different it is not like Jean Grey and Rachel Grey with exact same power that can't be applied any differently. Sunspot, Amara and Oya for example could be on the same team and you wouldn't really get redundancy. In fact Magma and Sunspot being around each made so they had to highlight the difference , In the same way Idie and Iceman were also different. The simple point was look a little deeper at characters
    I appreciate your analysis, I'm just saying it's all about what the writers/artist do, which in practice, is much more similar than different. Further, while Sunspot used to just use solar power for strength, over the years he has diversified his abilities to include energy blasts of solar plasma, heightened durability, and flight. Certainly these characters are supposed to have stark differences, but in practice, the majority are used almost the same.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    I don't really get why a culling is needed or how that will make books any better.
    Because certain idiots that pay, do it.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    I'd be happy if Gabby's mouth was duct taped shut to keep her from spouting cutie, stupid stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    I will fight you.
    This thread is about thinning the herd of duplicates (which Gabby is one of many Wolverine knockoffs.) and you want to fight me just because I want to gag Gabby from spouting her annoying, immature dribble?

Yes. Cull all Wolverine derivatives.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I hope there is major culling with this storyline. Though I think the "disassembled" is not a great title - it was for Avengers BECAUSE it held to their calling of "Avengers Assemble". The X-men don't have a calling card to base a deconstruction off of. Having this use the Avengers is not that great of an idea.

None the less I like the idea. A break down of many members, deaths, injuries, etc. I'm hoping we get left with 40 or less characters total surviving this. And that at least 2-3 higher profile X-Men get killed. though I'm not really partial to whom aside from them not killing my favorites (Storm, Nightcrawler, Psylocke and Polaris). We need a winnowing of the teams and the line. Get back to the place we were at in the mid 80s-early 90s where you had 4-5 titles not counting solos and you could really tell the stories of the individual characters.

also, I'm all for the getting rid of the students. Aside from a few of the New X-Men, none of the "next generation" has stuck with me since Generation X.

BANNED

Just get rid of all the alt. reality characters that are just rip off of the one's we already have. This isn't DC...marvel can do better.

I have to disagree with the "too many telepaths"...there are a lot less than there used to be.

BANNED

That Martha brain in the jar should just die. Seriously this is a ridiculous character that has lived too long.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I'm not necessarily for killing characters for this reason, but I am all for not creating new characters with duplicate powersets when there are perfectly good characters not being used.

Case in point: Trinary in X-Men Red. Why create her when you have Hijack (from Bendis's Uncanny), who has the same powerset and isn't being used? I get that you have to do that much more legwork when using a pre-existing character, editorially-speaking, but it beats creating another character that'll just get tossed away (or worse, killed by another writer) after that writer's run is over.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    That Martha brain in the jar should just die. Seriously this is a ridiculous character that has lived too long.
    I don't think any of Morrison's "special class" should've been used after he left. Heck, they shouldn't have been used while Morrison was there.

And don't even get me started on Aaron's kids. Ugh. Freaking terrible, the lot of them. To Aaron's credit, though, no one else will be stupid enough to create another character like Snot.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Just get rid of all the alt. reality characters that are just rip off of the one's we already have. This isn't DC...marvel can do better.

I have to disagree with the "too many telepaths"...there are a lot less than there used to be.
    Co-signed. No-one will miss Bloodstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Though I think the "disassembled" is not a great title - it was for Avengers BECAUSE it held to their calling of "Avengers Assemble". The X-men don't have a calling card to base a deconstruction off of.
    Sure they do, but “Away From Me My X-men” is a shitty title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementia5 View Post
    Sure they do, but “Away From Me My X-men” is a shitty title.
    LMAO. That is very true. I definitely can't argue that would be an awful title.

So we are doing The 100 thing now? Ummm sure lets just hope we get good fights

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I'm not necessarily for killing characters for this reason, but I am all for not creating new characters with duplicate powersets when there are perfectly good characters not being used.

Case in point: Trinary in X-Men Red. Why create her when you have Hijack (from Bendis's Uncanny), who has the same powerset and isn't being used? I get that you have to do that much more legwork when using a pre-existing character, editorially-speaking, but it beats creating another character that'll just get tossed away (or worse, killed by another writer) after that writer's run is over.
    This is the thing. How do we know that Trinary and Hijacks powers are exactly the same. This is why I miss folks like CC and Mike Carey who deconstructed mutant abilities.. You can have 5 teleporters and how their powers operate can be quite different. Example: Blink, Magik, Nightcrawler, Vanisher, Lil Cheney, and Ariel