Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Default Clark Kent: Superman Appreciation 2018

Everybody has their favorite version of Superman that they would prefer over others, for me however Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Post Crisis, New 52, Shorts, George Reeves, Christoper Reeve, Smallville, Returns or Man Of Steel, it doesn't matter.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be

This thread is for fans of any version of Superman, whether main comic universe, Elseworld, TV, Film or Animation.

I understand there's a Superman General Discussion thread, however I thought making a thread dedicated to this idea was suitable, if not however then the Mod can close my thread or move any post on here to that thread.

UPDATE: I had to remove that wonderful Superman fanart on the first page because for some reason it was causing my Chrome browser to collapse. So instead I'm using that wonderful 75th Anniversary video DC did.

However, you can still find the fanart here for your viewing pleasure.
    Last edited by BBally; 03-26-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Now that looks like a great thread!

A great idea for a thread! We need more celebration of our heroes and less nitpicking about costumes and continuity.

Superman is the one who started it all and the ultimate super hero!

I'm glad that some people like this idea, I have my own preference (mostly Bronze Age with a bit of Silver Age and Post Crisis with possibly some Golden Age influence like New 52's Morrison jeans and t-shirt run) and there others I'm not fond of (Byrne's Krypton, the Birthing Matrix and Superman Returns) but I respect the rights for others to like versions I'm not a fan of and dislike versions I'm a fan of.

I really like this cover for 2013-2014 Adventures of Superman issue 16

Last edited by BBally; 03-15-2015 at 09:49 AM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

BANNED

Great Jon Bogdanove cover there, hes a big Wayne Boring fan. DC even told the MASTER Jose Garcia Lopez try to emulate Jon Bogdonaves style for official merchandise in the 90s.

That version of the character is my favorite.

I loved Bog's Golden Age inspired look for the character.

And some love for the Superman Family Superman.

And I just love the jeans and t-shirt "everyman" look

While I prefer the classic suit, I'm cool with the New 52 suit, true it can look clunky at times but it can look good when at the hands of a good artist:

BANNED

I personally love all versions of Superman, but I wasn't really a fan of Bruce Timm's take on the character. He just felt bland to me.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Great thread. So I guess it's cool to post these here. New Supes from Ardian Syaf's Facebook page.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    While I prefer the classic suit, I'm cool with the New 52 suit, true it can look clunky at times but it can look good when at the hands of a good artist:
    This is one of my favorite covers since the relaunch. Love Terry's art. His Unchained variant is up there as well.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I keep a loose Superman canon that is Golden, Silver, Bronze, and most Post-COIE thru FPoint material (not the Byrne origin material though, but love Post-COIE Lex and later businessman/mad scientist-mixed Lex before FPoint). (Lex benefitted most from COIE overall)

Fleischer Superman is the best representation/distillation of Golden Age Superman and just Golden Age comics in general, so I love those shorts beyond anything. They may be most Superman-y things ever made.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-16-2015 at 12:44 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

The S Shield itself has went through many versions:

While I did say I'm okay with the New 52 suit, I kind of wish it looked more like the MOS suit as a new outfit since that one has a better balance of color, with a much lighter shade of blue of course.

Also as an update, I had to remove that wonderful Superman fanart on the first page because for some reason it was causing my browser to collapse. So instead I'm using that wonderful 75th Anniversary video DC did.

However, you can still find the fanart here for your viewing pleasure.
    Last edited by BBally; 03-25-2015 at 06:25 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Great Jon Bogdanove cover there, hes a big Wayne Boring fan. DC even told the MASTER Jose Garcia Lopez try to emulate Jon Bogdonaves style for official merchandise in the 90s.

That version of the character is my favorite.

Bog is probably the most criminally underrated Superman artist of the last 25 years. His Superman was a synthesis of Wayne Boring brawn, with Byrne dynamics wrapped in a Joe Shuster skin. He only got better as time wore on. His golden age three parter (which he co-wrote with Louise Simonson) during the Dominus arc was amazing.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I keep a loose Superman canon that is Golden, Silver, Bronze, and most Post-COIE thru FPoint material (not the Byrne origin material though, but love Post-COIE Lex and later businessman/mad scientist-mixed Lex before FPoint). (Lex benefitted most from COIE overall)

Fleischer Superman is the best representation/distillation of Golden Age Superman and just Golden Age comics in general, so I love those shorts beyond anything. They may be most Superman-y things ever made.
    Agreed on all (aside from dismissing the New 52 Superman, which I like and do include quite a bit, particular the Morrison run and the current Pak stories in my "head canon"). Lex took a long time in my eyes to gain his full glory Post-Crisis, and it wasn't until after the " faking of death, clone/Lex II/rebirth" stuff that Lex developed into a great mix of his Pre-Crisis mad scientist self and the Post-Crisis Robber Baron. In fact, during the Dark Days of the Matt Idelson editorial era, the one ray of goodness was "fixing" Lex. Thankfully Post-Flashpoint that Lex was carried over more or less. Of course the biggest and best influence on Lex's "rebirth" was Michael Rosenbaum's masterful portrayle on SMALLVILLE. I've never been a huge fan of the idea of Lex coming from Smallville or knowing Superboy/Clark in his youth, but the version on the show was well done and in my personal canon, that is my Lex origin. (judging from your avatar, you likely agree! )

The Fleisher shorts...what wonderful stuff. Superman boiled down to his primal essence without any detris. SO far ahead of their time. The line animation is amazing even by today's standards. The scene in the first short where he is punching back the energy beam...that has to be one of my favorite Superman Feats in ANY media.