Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thanks for the responses everyone! Lots of helpful info I didn't know and things I didn't consider. I completely forgot there was a Superman IV (im still making my way the old movies).
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Hooah View Post
    First of all, thanks for the welcome! Maybe I will move on to Superman Action Comics vol 4, after reading Birthright then. Or how about just starting at the Superman Action Comics vol. 1 collection? Would that be weird? I haven't finished All Star Superman yet but I'm a little over halfway now and I gotta say, I don't think this is the best starting point for a new reader like me. I like the overall premise of the story but there's a lot of "HUH?!" moments throughout. I'm sure as I get more knowledgeable about Superman then I think All Star Superman will be even better to revisit a long the way!
    I am a new reader you know. There are fans here who have been reading for decades. And i started with Rebirth in 2016. I can speak only from my experience here. I first read some books which aren't part of an ongoing story. Books like All Star, Birthright, Man of Steel, etc. were my first books. It was only in Rebirth that i started reading the ongoing stories.

I haven't read Action Comics Vol.1, except for the first 3 or 4 issues which were printed in Superman #1. That issue is available for free in Comixology. My advice would be to read that issue and see if you like that kind of writing before getting Action Comics Vol.1 collection. In my opinion the stories of that era were pretty good. Especially Action Comics #1 feels surprisingly modern in comparison to a lot of comics of that time. See if you like that kind of writing and stories before you get Action Comics Vol.1 collection.

Action Comics Vol 4 is a bit complicated. Are you starting from #957 itself? That is the beginning of Rebirth run and begins Vol 4. Or you want to start with #977? If you start with #977 i think you would fine. But if you start with #957 get Superman Rebirth #1 first. When DC had a line wide relaunch of all titles they gave a Rebirth #1 to all titles. Superman had Superman Rebirth #1. To give a certain background before jumping in. Even then it could feel complicated for a new reader for its like jumping in between a big story. #977 onwards would be less complicated. Of course you can ask any questions here for any doubts you have.

There was a big change in after #976. A crossover called Reborn after which the complications of two Supermen became clear. So, if you want to read with #977 i think you would be okay.

But if you start with #957 when Vol 4 starts you have to read Superman Rebirth#1. It would give you the idea where the story is. But its very much a continuing story which follows from Final Days of Superman and Lois and Clark miniseries. And if you are reading from the start of Vol 4 i would recommend Superman title too.

I would recommend you finishing off All Star. It was one of my first Superman stories. It does have a few elements which can be a bit confusing. Its like a story which says that things of the 90s did not happen at all. It follows from the 70s and early 80s. Something which even i haven't read yet. I think you would be okay. But if you think that you are unable to enjoy All Star then better get to Birthright.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-19-2018 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks for all the advice Soubhagya! I don't think I have made my mind up yet at all to where I'm going after Birthright, all I know is Birthright is next on the list I finished All-Star Superman this morning as a matter of fact! And I really did enjoy it despite my confusion in places. I think most of my confusion came from unfamiliarity with some of the characters and of course previous events which were referenced throughout. But particularly the whole issue with Zibarro, Bzarro, Underverse and all of that (characters which I've never heard about before) that totally threw me off and I had no idea what was happening. I even had to put the book down midway through that issue and pick it up again the day after because it was just too weird for me what was happening there Overall though, great story and in my version of the book, Grant Morrison also explains a bit about the story at the end which also helped to put some things into perspective.
    Last edited by Hooah; 02-19-2018 at 04:27 AM.

Great! You finished that book. Glad that you liked it. Hope you enjoy Birthright. It is definitely more accessible then All Star. What to read next? There are more recommendations on this forum. The likes of Kingdom Come, American Alien, Man of Steel, Action Comics Vol.2 by Morrison, and so on. A link for your reference.

http://community.comicbookresources....ecommendations

If you wish to jump in at the upcoming relaunch i guess you could. They do relaunches for the purpose of giving a chance to new readers. Let us see at that time. Happy reading!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

the Zibarro stuff was brand new for that story, same as the Kryptonians he met.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I am a new reader you know. There are fans here who have been reading for decades. And i started with Rebirth in 2016. I can speak only from my experience here. I first read some books which aren't part of an ongoing story. Books like All Star, Birthright, Man of Steel, etc. were my first books. It was only in Rebirth that i started reading the ongoing stories.

I haven't read Action Comics Vol.1, except for the first 3 or 4 issues which were printed in Superman #1. That issue is available for free in Comixology. My advice would be to read that issue and see if you like that kind of writing before getting Action Comics Vol.1 collection. In my opinion the stories of that era were pretty good. Especially Action Comics #1 feels surprisingly modern in comparison to a lot of comics of that time. See if you like that kind of writing and stories before you get Action Comics Vol.1 collection.

Action Comics Vol 4 is a bit complicated. Are you starting from #957 itself? That is the beginning of Rebirth run and begins Vol 4. Or you want to start with #977? If you start with #977 i think you would fine. But if you start with #957 get Superman Rebirth #1 first. When DC had a line wide relaunch of all titles they gave a Rebirth #1 to all titles. Superman had Superman Rebirth #1. To give a certain background before jumping in. Even then it could feel complicated for a new reader for its like jumping in between a big story. #977 onwards would be less complicated. Of course you can ask any questions here for any doubts you have.

There was a big change in after #976. A crossover called Reborn after which the complications of two Supermen became clear. So, if you want to read with #977 i think you would be okay.

But if you start with #957 when Vol 4 starts you have to read Superman Rebirth#1. It would give you the idea where the story is. But its very much a continuing story which follows from Final Days of Superman and Lois and Clark miniseries. And if you are reading from the start of Vol 4 i would recommend Superman title too.

I would recommend you finishing off All Star. It was one of my first Superman stories. It does have a few elements which can be a bit confusing. Its like a story which says that things of the 90s did not happen at all. It follows from the 70s and early 80s. Something which even i haven't read yet. I think you would be okay. But if you think that you are unable to enjoy All Star then better get to Birthright.

I think there was a little confusion. Right now we're using Action comics volume one as the line of publication. Action comics "volume 4" in this case would not bethe fourth volume of publication but a trade collection post Reborn, starting with #977.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

I think there was a little confusion. Right now we're using Action comics volume one as the line of publication. Action comics "volume 4" in this case would not bethe fourth volume of publication but a trade collection post Reborn, starting with #977.
    Oops! Sorry my bad. I confused Action Comics with Superman. Rebirth onward Superman was Vol 4. Action Comics did not get new numbers till New 52. That was also why when i searched Action Comics Vol 4 the first titles were after Reborn. I should have understood it right then. I searched Vol 3 right now and it gave the issues after Rebirth. Then i guess Hooah would be fine with Action Comics Vol. 4. Don't you think so?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Interesting! I hope it was as confusing for everyone else back then to read as it was to me The story about the two Kryptonian astronauts Bar-El and Lilo was pretty interesting. Certainly raised a lot of questions what would have happened to Metropolis/Earth if more power hungry Kryptonians had gotten there before Superman. I liked the way they patched and bandaged the moon with bridges and stuff, that was funny writing
    Last edited by Hooah; 02-19-2018 at 07:37 AM.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Saw this article posted on r/comicbooks, thought it was worth sharing here.

https://mattreadscomics.wordpress.co...uperman-adult/
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

Thanks for all the advice Soubhagya! I don't think I have made my mind up yet at all to where I'm going after Birthright, all I know is Birthright is next on the list I finished All-Star Superman this morning as a matter of fact! And I really did enjoy it despite my confusion in places. I think most of my confusion came from unfamiliarity with some of the characters and of course previous events which were referenced throughout. But particularly the whole issue with Zibarro, Bzarro, Underverse and all of that (characters which I've never heard about before) that totally threw me off and I had no idea what was happening. I even had to put the book down midway through that issue and pick it up again the day after because it was just too weird for me what was happening there Overall though, great story and in my version of the book, Grant Morrison also explains a bit about the story at the end which also helped to put some things into perspective.
    I recommend Superman: For All Seasons if you haven't read that yet
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Thanks for the recommendation 9th! I have a lot of options already after Birthright (Currently halfway into it and digging it a lot! Really well told I think) I'm also considering Secret Identity and American Alien because as far as I can tell, they both deal a little more with every day life and the life of Clark...and I feel that I'm in the mood for such a slower moving read that's more character than action

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I was trying to post 2 images but it isnt working
    Last edited by BBally; 02-25-2018 at 02:23 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

One of the aspects that the character that tends to be discussed is which one of his persona is the true person, I prefer the answer these 2 pages provide:

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

^^^^The way I see it... Clark Kent + Kal-El = Superman
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-25-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks for the recommendation 9th! I have a lot of options already after Birthright (Currently halfway into it and digging it a lot! Really well told I think) I'm also considering Secret Identity and American Alien because as far as I can tell, they both deal a little more with every day life and the life of Clark...and I feel that I'm in the mood for such a slower moving read that's more character than action
    If you like reading novels then I recommend Superman stories like Miracle Monday, It's Superman, The Last Days of Krypton, The Death and Life of Superman, Superman: The Never Ending Battle (audio story) and if you can find it the 1942 The Adventures of Superman novel, which provided elements that would later be used in the comics particular the character's early life.

Glad that you are enjoying Birthright. I love that book. All of the ones mentioned: All Seasons, Secret Identity, American Alien are good or very good. Great recommendations. I would recommend Man of Steel by John Byrne. Not to be confused with the film. Or the upcoming series by Bendis. It came out in 1986. I love that book. Its my preferred origin story. Superman has a lot of them.

I did not reply to your previous post. I agree with it all. The story of the two astronaunts was interesting. I absolutely loved it when Superman helps them even after they did all that. And that bridge one was funny too. Morrison is among the best Superman writers. You may wish to check his New 52 run on Action Comics sometime. I am in the middle of it. Its a bit confusing towards the end of the first arc but i am digging it.