Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    One of the aspects that the character that tends to be discussed is which one of his persona is the true person, I prefer the answer these 2 pages provide:
    I prefer that answer to just being Kal-El for sure.

I have a controversial opinion about the question of Superman's identity. I prefer this.

Whatever he maybe he thinks he is from Smallville, Kansas. But i know the truth is somewhere in the middle.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-25-2018 at 09:54 PM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

As much apprehension as could feel for someone like Mr. Bendis who was great but is now a shell of his own peak performance taking on Superman I agree with his plan to focus more on Clark Kent as opposed to Superman. It's often thought that Superman and Kal-El are what define him but looking at his background as someone who adopted Earth as his home it makes better sense for Clark Kent to be his real persona just with a layer of foolishness to keep people from finding him out. In some ways Superman can be considered Clark Kent unleashed to his fullest potential. In some ways i am interested however in how Clark can operate within the limits of his civilian identity without relying on Superman to do what he does.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    As much apprehension as could feel for someone like Mr. Bendis who was great but is now a shell of his own peak performance taking on Superman I agree with his plan to focus more on Clark Kent as opposed to Superman. It's often thought that Superman and Kal-El are what define him but looking at his background as someone who adopted Earth as his home it makes better sense for Clark Kent to be his real persona just with a layer of foolishness to keep people from finding him out. In some ways Superman can be considered Clark Kent unleashed to his fullest potential. In some ways i am interested however in how Clark can operate within the limits of his civilian identity without relying on Superman to do what he does.
    My opinion is that Superman is neither Kal-El or Clark Kent. He is a combination of the two

Is it true that the original branding after National comics was Superman-DC in the 40's before becoming just DC? If so then wow did Supes' name have pull.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    Is it true that the original branding after National comics was Superman-DC in the 40's before becoming just DC? If so then wow did Supes' name have pull.
    Yeah, the DC-Superman logo lasted till the early 70s.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 02-26-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #28 Variant for Superman 80th Anniversary...

Am i looking at Superman through the years? Even if its not, i love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #28 Variant for Superman 80th Anniversary...

Cool pic. I am guessing Superman is appearing everywhere.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-14-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Love that cover. It's great seeing all of the various incarnations of our boy Kal.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Love that cover. It's great seeing all of the various incarnations of our boy Kal.
    Looks like the Reborn version is missing though. But yeah, great art. Always cool to see the evolution.

RE: Superman's "real" side.

I think we often look at this dynamic the wrong way. We tend to think of it as "which side is really real?" when perhaps we should be asking "how much of what we're seeing in any given panel is real and how much is an act?" I don't think its a binary choice; I think its a spectrum.

Neither "side" is false, but neither is entirely true either. I think Kal compartmentalizes his life to such a degree that a human couldn't handle it and remain sane. But for Kal, that's just how his life has always been. Sort of like how there is a "workplace" version of you, a "at home with the kids" version, and a "out with the guys" version; you're a different person in each situation, based on what you need to accomplish and what is expected/needed of you. But because this is Kal-El, those differences are played up to cosmic levels.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Cool pic. I am guessing Superman is appearing everywhere.
    Yeah, Superman is going to appear in most alt. covers or characters will wear a \S/ shirt on the variants (see the 3rd pic below).

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark