Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I didn't want to make a new thread to ask a question, so I'll ask it here.

I'm trying to compile a list of Superman interacting with government organizations. Specifically the US president, United Nations and NATO. I believe there is a panel of Superman telling someone his responsibilities to the world whenever there is an alien attack. How he gets calls from the aforementioned government personnel/organizations, who all are asking whether he is going to deal with the situation facing the planet.

I'm pretty sure I've read something like that before and I didn't imagine it. Although I might have imagined it though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Off the top of my head, he interacted with Obama a few times during Truth, and at one point in the Lobdell run he dealt with a number of.....senators?......who wanted access to the Fortress. Can't remember issue numbers but it might be a place to start.

If you include people pretending to be Superman, Cyborg Superman (Hank Henshaw) formed an alliance with the POTUS early on in Reign of the Supermen.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I know Frank Miller, Jim Starlin and John Ostrander had Superman interact with and have a direct line to Reagan.

JMS had Supes go before the UN in Earth One vol 3.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah I was pretty sure you were talking about Superman right after H'el in volume 3. Would have been issue 19. Otheriwse there's just stuff like being called to UN action like in Superman#205 or attending big events to oversee things like in Action #418 when his villains are involved.

So a few days ago this was on the main site. I never had a bagged issue of #75 so I never put two and two together.

https://www.cbr.com/death-of-superma...ial-crassness/

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    So a few days ago this was on the main site. I never had a bagged issue of #75 so I never put two and two together.
    I did. Had it ordered and mailed to the house. Of course, I was only twelve or eleven, and had no idea about collector's items or any of that stuff, and only a vague idea that comics could end up being worth money someday. So as soon as it arrived I ripped that bad boy open and read the book twenty times in a row (while eating Doritos and drinking Mountain Dew of course!), and eventually the issue found its way into a random stack of books.

Whatever the thing was worth, my copy sure as hell isn't worth that now! lol
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-12-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I did. Had it ordered and mailed to the house. Of course, I was only twelve or eleven, and had no idea about collector's items or any of that stuff, and only a vague idea that comics could end up being worth money someday. So as soon as it arrived I ripped that bad boy open and read the book twenty times in a row (while eating Doritos and drinking Mountain Dew of course!), and eventually the issue found its way into a random stack of books.

Whatever the thing was worth, my copy sure as hell isn't worth that now! lol
    I still have one of the black bagged issues sealed and in one of my longboxes. I have a dogeared newstand copy and a second black bagged version out of the bag with all the contents packed with it save for the poster I put up on my wall of my old room at my folks house. I think it eventually got tore down somehow.

Going through my collection recently I discovered I somehow accumulated about six total copies of Superman #75 ( two newstand first prints, two black bagged ,a second printing newstand and a third printing. And eight (!) Of Adventures #500 ( six newstand and two white bagged). I have no idea for the life of me how I ended up with that many! I think a few I picked up as part of some collections I bought in the mid 90s when I was buying back issues left and right.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-12-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

How did I miss this thread? 50 years a fan of The Man of Tomorrow since I first saw him on CBS Saturday mornings (I was still in my crib ). Though Bats is my favorite, Clark missed that distinction only by a nose.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, there are actually tons of characters I really like and they are a hair away from being my favorite, but Superman is on the other side of that hair.

And what a gift Charest has presented.

BANNED

By Adam Hughes

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

When I first created this thread, I had no idea that it would have this staying power on the threads.

This thread started as sort of a successor to an older thread I did on the original CBR forums, as there were 2 separate appreciation threads that celebrated 2 different aspects of the character, one was SuperMAN a thread dedication to celebrate the character's more human Clark Kent side ala early Post Crisis era Superman while the other was SUPERman, which was the opposite celebrating the more larger than life side of the character notably the Pre-Crisis Silver-Bronze Age version. I felt picking one over the other was fine and all but why not both so I made my own titled SUPERMAN as a why to celebrate both sides of the same coin so to speak.

Then the original forums closed and we got a new one, so that thread was just one of the many threads I made and forgot about, but then during the TRUTH arc, the already mixed opinion on the New52 Superman increased to the point fans were calling a pretender especially with the reveal that the Pre-Flashpoint version existed on the New52 universe with his Lois and his son Jon. Needless to say it got ugly at times especially at the comment sections of the Superman Homepage, I felt other versions of the character were involved in heavily debated discussions especially those who have strong anti-Henry Cavill Superman opinions to the point of making condescending remarks of those who like that version of the character. so I made this thread as a way to celebrate the character in general in all of this different interpretation in comics and other mediums.

Cut to a couple of years later and its still going strong and the 80th Anniversary no doubt helped keep this thread alive.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

BANNED

Superman drawn by various major talents in comics.

Todd McFarlane

Walter Simonson

Jack Kirby

Is it weird that I never really liked how Kirby drew Clark's face? I mean, I love that guy's work like any good nerd should, but......something doesn't quite look right to me.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Is it weird that I never really liked how Kirby drew Clark's face? I mean, I love that guy's work like any good nerd should, but......something doesn't quite look right to me.
    Well you certainly aren't alone since DC changed Superman's face in Kirby stories where he used him iirc.