Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Regarding ethics it's a very skeevy thing to do whether one thinks Kirby is great or not but visually... I have to admit the idea works.

On the other hand Simonson is one of my true favorites and I marvel at every occasion he's decided to publish Superman work.

Roger Ebert was probably the most famous film critic who ever lived. Most film fans know his name. Apart from his reviews he also made a list of great movies. They were like re-reviews if one can say that. They are about 350 in number. And i was surprised to see Superman (1978) there. Imagine that in his opinion after watching thousands of films from around the world he selected Superman as a 'Great Movie'.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/g...-superman-1978

And this was his original review.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/superman
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-04-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Is it weird that I never really liked how Kirby drew Clark's face? I mean, I love that guy's work like any good nerd should, but......something doesn't quite look right to me.
    But i am sure you got a kick out of it. Superman drawn by Kirby! The face doesn't bother me, but i think you are right to an extent. This is not how Superman's face is usually drawn. I think he looks somewhat normal. I have seen some pictures of the old comics. The romance comics or war comics. His face looks 'normal'?

Somewhat like a dashing adventure hero or a spy. Of course, i am guessing here.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Is it weird that I never really liked how Kirby drew Clark's face? I mean, I love that guy's work like any good nerd should, but......something doesn't quite look right to me.
    I agree with you completely. It didn't look right then and still doesn't all these years later.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I agree with you completely. It didn't look right then and still doesn't all these years later.
    Phew! I thought I was alone in this.

It's weird, really. I mean, this is Kirby. He's a comic book god, and I love his work. But in all the Superman art I've seen of his (not including the stuff DC had re-done by other artists), the face never looks quite right. He does fine with everyone else (and draws perhaps the best Jimmy ever)....but something about Clark is just off. It's the weirdest gods damn thing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    But i am sure you got a kick out of it. Superman drawn by Kirby!
    Oh, I've seen Kirby's Superman plenty of times before.

It's always nice to see Kirby draw the character; two of my favorite comic book commodities together is always great, but I actually prefer Kirby's Thor art to his Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Phew! I thought I was alone in this.

It's weird, really. I mean, this is Kirby. He's a comic book god, and I love his work. But in all the Superman art I've seen of his (not including the stuff DC had re-done by other artists), the face never looks quite right. He does fine with everyone else (and draws perhaps the best Jimmy ever)....but something about Clark is just off. It's the weirdest gods damn thing.
    Yep. I never had any problems with the other characters he drew, but Superman is the exception.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Roger Ebert was probably the most famous film critic who ever lived. Most film fans know his name. Apart from his reviews he also made a list of great movies. They were like re-reviews if one can say that. They are about 350 in number. And i was surprised to see Superman (1978) there. Imagine that in his opinion after watching thousands of films from around the world he selected Superman as a 'Great Movie'.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/g...-superman-1978

And this was his original review.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/superman
    40 years later and Superman The movie is still the best.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

You know superman is one if the few characters in all fiction that has had a continuous presents in all forms of media.

Radio to tv to movies back to tv to movies.

So for now Jurgens is done. It was cool to see him come back with even more even after a titanic run stretching back to 1987. I was thankful enough that I think for all the variants and digital releases this was the run where I bought the most copies of the same issue. Here's a cool sequence he did then, when Hfuhruhurr the Word Bringer hit him with a telekinetic heart attack from the force of 2000 brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Hfuhruhurr the Word Bringer hit him with a telekinetic heart attack from the force of 2000 brains.
    I am in love with this sentence.

Only in comic books lol

~ Black Panther.

Looking back at the end of Jurgens' first stretch, there's this neat post from a few days ago:

A Superman #150 poster, being signed by a Cavill who looks eerily like the drawing. Wish his hair was like this in the movies.

Master Hero Vladimir

These 2 last years have been amazing for Superman. Jurgens, Tomasi and Gleason have been hitting home-run after home-run with Superman and his family. It's sad to see them go but I have faith that Bendis will deliver some incredible stories.