Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

download.jpg

I always loved this image from the Fleisher shorts. The first comic shop I went to had a big poster of this in their window and I loved it. The Fleisher shorts were definitely way ahead of their time and simply stunning. Interesting side note about those shorts, they opened the door for dramatic animation as a serial in the US. Before that, Disney films were really the only popular animated dramas and they were feature films. Serialized shorts were more for comedy and no one really considered they could be dramatic until the Fleishers put Superman in animation. So in addition to being a founder of the comic medium, Superman had a pretty huge hand in getting animation popular in the states. We may not have our Saturday morning cartoons or animated series if the Fleishers hadn't laid the groundwork with Superman.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post

While I did say I'm okay with the New 52 suit, I kind of wish it looked more like the MOS suit as a new outfit since that one has a better balance of color, with a much lighter shade of blue of course.
    The MOS costume looks as good, if not better in print than in real life. Although, I'd like to see those florishes near his belt and on his wrists be colored red instead of silver. That along with the yellow/gold belt would be perfect. In fact i'd like to see that happen in the movies as he "evolves" into the more traditional Superman we know. It's possible as his suit has a few alterations in BvS to see a further change further down the line.

I do hope Post-TRUTH, when we get back to a more traditional costume, a design similar to this one is substituted for the Lee suit. The alterations we saw in the last issue or two in SUPERMAN is a step in this direction anyway, what with less seams and the classic boots. Time to go the rest of the way and consign the unfortunate (IMO) Lee New 52 suit to the dust bin (or glass case in the Fortress) where the Electro Supes suit resides.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Agreed on all (aside from dismissing the New 52 Superman, which I like and do include quite a bit, particular the Morrison run and the current Pak stories in my "head canon"). Lex took a long time in my eyes to gain his full glory Post-Crisis, and it wasn't until after the " faking of death, clone/Lex II/rebirth" stuff that Lex developed into a great mix of his Pre-Crisis mad scientist self and the Post-Crisis Robber Baron. In fact, during the Dark Days of the Matt Idelson editorial era, the one ray of goodness was "fixing" Lex. Thankfully Post-Flashpoint that Lex was carried over more or less. Of course the biggest and best influence on Lex's "rebirth" was Michael Rosenbaum's masterful portrayle on SMALLVILLE. I've never been a huge fan of the idea of Lex coming from Smallville or knowing Superboy/Clark in his youth, but the version on the show was well done and in my personal canon, that is my Lex origin. (judging from your avatar, you likely agree! )
    We agree more than you think. I do keep Morrison's Action run in my head canon as far as Vyndktvx overall arc. We absolutely agree on SMALLVILLE Lex....it changed all my old ideas on Lex being from Smallville and is my Lex origin too (the broad strokes anyway) (I feel ashamed I ever liked Lex's post-Crisis origin in that prestige format). It is definitely the best interpretation of Lex (that will ever happen). So complex and clever an origin. And indeed Idelson did fix Lex comicwise.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-25-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I've found this interesting fanart

http://tombo914.deviantart.com/art/S...over-473193086
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

A fantastic fanart done by this great artist.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

A fantastic fanart done by this great artist.

Well...just found this week's laptop desktop background!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Bog is probably the most criminally underrated Superman artist of the last 25 years. His Superman was a synthesis of Wayne Boring brawn, with Byrne dynamics wrapped in a Joe Shuster skin. He only got better as time wore on. His golden age three parter (which he co-wrote with Louise Simonson) during the Dominus arc was amazing.
    Hell yeah I agree. I love Bogdonave, he knows his history very well and draws practically the perfect modern Superman.

It comes as no surprise that Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (praise his name) can make any version of Superman look good.

Classic

Long hair

New 52

It comes as no surprise that Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (praise his name) can make any version of Superman look good.

Classic

Long hair

New 52

It's a shame he doesn't do interiors much anymore. Much like Dan Jurgens, he has an inability to draw a crappy Superman, no matter the costume/look DC saddles them with.

I would love to see his take on the "new" look from June on.

Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is amazing. Definitely get his Adventures of Superman collection. It's worth every penny to see his glorious artwork on Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Jose Luis Garcia Lopez is amazing. Definitely get his Adventures of Superman collection. It's worth every penny to see his glorious artwork on Superman.
    I don't think he drew one for the Electric Superman, did he? I would love to see a drawing by him of the T-Shirt and Jeans look from Morrison's run.

I don't think he drew one for the Electric Superman, did he? I would love to see a drawing by him of the T-Shirt and Jeans look from Morrison's run.
    I don't think he did a drawing of Electric Superman. At least not one that I know of. Seeing his interpretation of the jeans and t-shirt Superman would be awesome. Especially since he really captured a youthful look with his nu52 Superman. It would be a perfect fit for his style.

A cool little image right here:

BANNED

Andy Kubert draws a pretty good looking New52 S-man.

Last edited by Cypher; 03-31-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Andy Kubert draws a pretty good looking New52 S.

Not bad. the hair on the first one looks odd. At least Kubert draws him like a man and not a teenager.

One of the things that rankled me about the early days of the New 52 is how some artists drew him too boyish. The ones that really ticked me off where when they drew the suit as clunky armor AND made him look 16 years old. He looked like Superboy prime from the last half of INFINITE CRISIS. I have no problems making him look younger....but there is a line. Conversely, this may be controversial...but I never liked Alex Ross' take on Superman beyond KINGDOM COME. He always makes Supes look like he's 50+ years old....which is fine for Kingdom Come...not for in his prime Supes. I of course admire his craft...but his Superman always looks off to me.