Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Not bad. the hair on the first one looks odd. At least Kubert draws him like a man and not a teenager.

One of the things that rankled me about the early days of the New 52 is how some artists drew him too boyish. The ones that really ticked me off where when they drew the suit as clunky armor AND made him look 16 years old. He looked like Superboy prime from the last half of INFINITE CRISIS. I have no problems making him look younger....but there is a line. Conversely, this may be controversial...but I never liked Alex Ross' take on Superman beyond KINGDOM COME. He always makes Supes look like he's 50+ years old....which is fine for Kingdom Come...not for in his prime Supes. I of course admire his craft...but his Superman always looks off to me.
    Yeah, those are all the same reasons I could never get into New52. Even if the story was mediocre, comics arent always the best written medium, I could deal with it as long as he looked the part. Which should be a big deal, comics are a visual medium.

As for Alex Ross. I totally get what you're saying, he's totally hit and miss. The good thing about him is that his Superman always has a presence in his art.

I love this cover from Dan Jurgens and Nowlan. They both do pretty some Supes.

Kevin Nowlans Alien/Superman cross over written by Dan Jurgens was pretty badass too.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Here's a thing, I think there are artists who had him look the part in the New52 in my opinion:

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Here's a thing, I think there are artists who had him look the part in the New52 in my opinion:

Oh. most definitely. In fact I think artistically, most artists that have worked on Superman in the New 52 did a fantastic job. However, very early on, there was a definite push to portray Superman...well....not like Superman,or more accurately to quote the press from DC "Not your father's Superman!". Thankfully, very quickly he was back to looking like an ever so slightly younger Kal that we were used to seeing...just in the Lee suit.

I've always loved that Terry Dodson image. I wish DC would put that out as a t-shirt or Poster!

Love it or hate it, CW's SMALLVILLE has kept the Superman mythos relevant in the public during the absence of a major Superman film (Superman Returns came out during the middle of its run but wasn't as well received as Waner Bros. had hoped so we had another several years for another film.)

Plus, it eventually led to the greatness that was SMALLVILLE: Season 11.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Love it or hate it, CW's SMALLVILLE has kept the Superman mythos relevant in the public during the absence of a major Superman film (Superman Returns came out during the middle of its run but wasn't as well received as Waner Bros. had hoped so we had another several years for another film.)

Plus, it eventually led to the greatness that was SMALLVILLE: Season 11.

Agreed. Season 11 made all the Lana stuff of the earlier seasons nearly worth it.

People Rag on SMALLVILLE...but let's face it...it was the best thing Superman related post 2003-2011.

It was my favorite Superman comic for the entirety of it's run, and created a reimagined DCU (that had Superman truly at it's core ) that was far better than the New 52 DCU in terms of creating a reader friendly universe that retained the flavor of the Pre-Flashpoint DCU while really and truly starting over from scratch with the continuity. Pity DC didn't do some spin-off books set in that universe...(it's Teen Titans were FAR more fun than the New 52 version) and sadly it looks like that universe is "retired" for now. I hope we do eventually get a Season 12.

An interesting collection of the many faces of Superman:

Convergence might be an interesting story arc, although I hope the people at DC don't end up screwing up everything just to make the current Superman look good.

Anyone remember this image?

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Jack Herbert, man. I'm blown away every time this guy posts a commission and/or new art. Does anyone know how to contact him outside of instagram or twitter? An e-mail address perhaps?

Jonathan & Krypto #kingdomCome #superman #wonderwoman #dc #comics #commission https://instagram.com/p/1d76x5tAFp/

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeUsername View Post
    Jack Herbert, man. I'm blown away every time this guy posts a commission and/or new art. Does anyone know how to contact him outside of instagram or twitter? An e-mail address perhaps?

Jonathan & Krypto #kingdomCome #superman #wonderwoman #dc #comics #commission https://instagram.com/p/1d76x5tAFp/
    This is a really good drawing.

A French magazine is doing a feature on Superman and has this pretty nice cover:

That cover is beyond awesome. So old school and so fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    That cover is beyond awesome. So old school and so fantastic.
    God I love John Bogdanove's Superman.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    God I love John Bogdanove's Superman.
    That cover represents a Superman comic I want to read!
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”