Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Yeah. Superman's potential as an escapist power fantasy seems to have decreased in the modern age, at least when dealing with real-life public figures. Superman is supposed to help us escape from the real world, not throw us back into it.
    I love how classic '40s Superman comics had a mixture of topical real-life relevance in comics with escapist fantasy.
    The real-life attack on Pearl Harbor was referenced, even the actual date of the attack.
    IMG_20181224_0024gthg.jpg [click to enlarge]

Clark and Lois listening to a threat from real-life Nazi Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels.
    IMG_20181224_0023hhj.jpg

And there was total escapist fantasy with Mister Mxyzptlk, etc.
    IMG_20181224_0018.jpg

Also even Nazi Joseph Goebbels appearance mixed real-life relevance with escapist fantasy as his threat was that there will be no Christmas because Nazis had kidnapped Santa Claus. The formula was to mix fantasy with realism. Feelings that I look for in comics, a sense of a mixture of the light and the dark, melodrama, the funny and slightly scary at the same time. Contemporary things so that there was a connection to contemporary audiences, which gives it a period feel, and still relatable to today [people refer to Trump's Stephen Miller as a clone of Joseph Goebbels]. It doesn't wallow in darkness. It's got a mixture of everything, which is what I like about it. Happy Holidays.
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 12-31-2018 at 12:49 AM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Interesting, from what I've seen Nic Cage's Superman by Tim Burton was planned to wear more than one costume, based on the 1992/1993 "Doomsday", "Funeral for a Friend" and "Reign of the Supermen" comics arcs where Superman died after his battle with Doomsday and was regenerated in the Fortress of Solitude, and returned with long hair, powerless and wearing a different costume, until he regained his powers.

indexgfgh.jpg
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 12-27-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Cool, but that's the Superman: Flyby suit from 03-ish, not the Superman Lives one from the 90's. I don't get how they screwed that up.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Henry Cavill's Superman: Flyby project by J.J. Abrams and McG. That was based more on Star Wars, Matrix and X-Files and less on Superman comics.

henry_cavill_s_superman_flyby_by_stevenely_dbzpwe6-fullview.jpg
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 12-25-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

FB_IMG_1546214809171.jpg

I found this image online and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    FB_IMG_1546214809171.jpg

I found this image online and I love it!
    Beautifully rendered. That's got to be the most poignant Superman image I have seen since the post-9/11 piece by Ross where Clark is looking at all the first responders, with a small word balloon that just says "wow."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.