Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Wanted to share two pieces for inktober by a favorite artist of mine, Peter Krause.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Finally Superman wins a race against The Flash. In a Flash title. The irony isn't lost on me.

Flash 33 preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    Finally Superman wins a race against The Flash. In a Flash title. The irony isn't lost on me.

Flash 33 preview.
    Hate to disagree and shun superman, but I think flash is almost definitely letting superman win. Flash rebirth basically destroyed the flash vs superman argument. Also I prefer flash winning, as if superman is faster flash seems almost obsolete.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    Hate to disagree and shun superman, but I think flash is almost definitely letting superman win. Flash rebirth basically destroyed the flash vs superman argument. Also I prefer flash winning, as if superman is faster flash seems almost obsolete.
    Not really, Superman asked Flash to go as fast as he can in Metal.

https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/364...3-024.jpg.html

And flash "needed" Superman to win, he didn't let him win.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Flash gave that one. But, hey, if people dig it, I won't knock it. I think what he says about Superman is way more important than the whole race thing though.

There is an appreciation thread for Superman! Why is it so empty? Are we fans so much into nitpicking that we find no time to praise the greatest hero of all time!

I get that this sub-forum is his entire section and his different versions are controversial to different sections of fans. I am happy to see this thread as it is one place where i can can praise Superman profusely without worrying about anything: other fan's response or my meager reading of Superman. Let the appreciation commence!

Let me begin with this awesome cover from Superman #1. Its fitting that i post it considering the upcoming 800th issue. This was the first time he had a title of his own.

It maybe simple but its replicated a large number of times as its iconic and beautiful. I would love it if some fan points out something more. As a tribute this has been brought up many times. My favorites are the following.

The first one is from The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl V2 #17. Second is from Supreme #41.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-31-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    There is an appreciation thread for Superman! Why is it so empty? Are we fans so much into nitpicking that we find no time to praise the greatest hero of all time!

I get that this sub-forum is his entire section and his different versions are controversial to different sections of fans. I am happy to see this thread as it is one place where i can can praise Superman profusely without worrying about anything: other fan's response or my meager reading of Superman. Let the appreciation commence!
    I get that sentiment in general from your posts, and as always you're right.

Superman #1 is underrated as a cover. And I dig that funky trade dress. One nice, verbatim homage was Action #643, featuring George Perez. It is significant because where Superman #1 gave him the first title of his own, this comic had him reclaim Action from the anthology run.

I feel like 1989~1990 had really good art styles in and out of comics, but in comics especially. Lots of cool coloring effects, bright colors, crisp inking. This is a favorite example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I get that sentiment in general from your posts, and as always you're right.

Superman #1 is underrated as a cover. And I dig that funky trade dress. One nice, verbatim homage was Action #643, featuring George Perez. It is significant because where Superman #1 gave him the first title of his own, this comic had him reclaim Action from the anthology run.

I feel like 1989~1990 had really good art styles in and out of comics, but in comics especially. Lots of cool coloring effects, bright colors, crisp inking. This is a favorite example.
    Well well Superman has been working out. Look at those fabulous abs!

Superman in 1939.

Superman in 1989.

He did workout for 50 years!

That's a good piece of art. No doubt about that. As a kid i would have simply taken up the book to look at this cover. I would see this cover again and again. I would have drawn it on paper. (Rather badly too). It still looks good. Good enough to frame and put on the wall.

The bright colors look good. The pencil work looks detailed but not too busy. An update which makes something classic (Superman#1 cover) better. Its beautiful.

Another noticeable thing is that the background is muted. That's a good effect. I have heard that in the page, the main character shall not look dull or uninteresting. He shall be the most interesting thing to look on page. Its like he pops up from the page. Here he pops up in the cover. A beautiful piece of art making use of this 'dull background' to good effect.

Siegel and Shuster did a brilliant job in their first effort. I will always say that the classical design beats any update(trunk less i mean) any day. The beautiful combination of red, blue and yellow is legendary. Even now i wish the return of the trunks. Maybe someday.

Thank you for sharing this!

I don't understand his return. Was he gone for sometime? I guess there were other characters appearing in this book. From this issue onward it became his own title. Isn't it?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-01-2017 at 04:32 AM.

Yeah he took a long trip into space and from #601-642 it became Action Comics Weekly, an anthology featuring characters like the Blackhawks, Hal Jordan, and Wild Dog. Superman would have a short story, 2 pages each issue, but #643 made it a regular comic again.

Looking at Superman shooting out of the skyline... In the 70s you had artists like Kirby who did experimental work with photos on comics, like Jimmy Olsen. Aside from that there were covers featuring Superman in a photograph city. Action #419, Superman #263 and 289. Treasury edition #38 had him zoom by the statue of liberty.

Dick Grayson today as Clark Kent/Superman:

dick grayson nightwing superman mode.jpg

Yeah he took a long trip into space and from #601-642 it became Action Comics Weekly, an anthology featuring characters like the Blackhawks, Hal Jordan, and Wild Dog. Superman would have a short story, 2 pages each issue, but #643 made it a regular comic again.

Looking at Superman shooting out of the skyline... In the 70s you had artists like Kirby who did experimental work with photos on comics, like Jimmy Olsen. Aside from that there were covers featuring Superman in a photograph city. Action #419, Superman #263 and 289. Treasury edition #38 had him zoom by the statue of liberty.
    I guess it was during the 'Exile' story. Haven't read that. I am in the middle of Byrne run. And you have pointed out where the other issues have a similar cover cover. Cool! Can't help but look them up.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Dick Grayson today as Clark Kent/Superman:

dick grayson nightwing superman mode.jpg
    Thanks for sharing!

Yep, it was Exile. Working your way through that stuff will keep getting more and more rewarding, I think you'll love what's ahead.

Funny enough, again thinking about Superman #1, in a way you can almost see this cover as a sequel in the theme of Superman's relationship with Metropolis.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post

I'm glad you like the thread I made

That was my intention, to have a thread where fans celebrate Superman in all his different incarnations even versions some might like but others don't.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I'm glad you like the thread I made

That was my intention, to have a thread where fans celebrate Superman in all his different incarnations even versions some might like but others don't.
    Its a nice thread. Ideally it shall be filled up to the brim. There is literally no limit to what one can like. For example recently i am beginning the Fleischer cartoons. I am liking it. Each episode can be discussed. The brilliant animation. The background music. What it has inspired. The fight scenes. Which one i liked the most. Anything is up for discussion unless it is done in nice spirit. Any single panel. Any single story. Any idea touched upon in over eighty years of existence. While there are threads for something specific like the latest issue or a film. This is about everything. And celebratory in nature. So thank you for putting up this thread. Its awesome!

Yep, it was Exile. Working your way through that stuff will keep getting more and more rewarding, I think you'll love what's ahead.

Funny enough, again thinking about Superman #1, in a way you can almost see this cover as a sequel in the theme of Superman's relationship with Metropolis.

That's an intriguing cover. Superman #271. Who Is The Man Who Murdered Metropolis? Catchy title too. Wonder what's inside. While i started with that specific pose in Superman #1 there are good covers galore. I hope to read them someday.

There is a cover which i loved a lot as a kid. I drew it too. Superman is someone that one knows without really knowing anything about him. This picture caught my attention somewhere. Can't recall it. Possibly behind some old comics. I read very few comics in my childhood. An adult catches the habit of reading comics. lol. This picture caught my attention at that time. I have fond memories of looking at it and trying to draw it.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-01-2017 at 08:47 PM.

Some of his stories elsewhere I don't like, but Loeb was actually pretty great on Superman. It doesn't surprise me at all that he grew up with Maggin, another very talented Superman writer. You could tell he really cared about the character, giving him a lot of charm and throwing him into fun stories. There were neat little touches that tied back to works like For All Seasons like the perspective of writing the relationship with Lois, and forward thinking ideas like Superman using his powers in combination. Combined with Torquasm Vo, it was an era where Superman where started to really spike in power.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Loeb regularly teams up with killer artists like Ed McG and Tim Sale.