Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Some of his stories elsewhere I don't like, but Loeb was actually pretty great on Superman. It doesn't surprise me at all that he grew up with Maggin, another very talented Superman writer. You could tell he really cared about the character, giving him a lot of charm and throwing him into fun stories. There were neat little touches that tied back to works like For All Seasons like the perspective of writing the relationship with Lois, and forward thinking ideas like Superman using his powers in combination. Combined with Torquasm Vo, it was an era where Superman where started to really spike in power.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Loeb regularly teams up with killer artists like Ed McG and Tim Sale.
    I have not read a lot of Jeph Loeb. I loved his 'All Seasons' and 'Spider-Man: Blue'. I liked his 'Dark Victory' (It was not as good as 'Long Halloween'). I loved this particular picture. The muscles would interest me and the words 'For Truth For Justice, Forever'. It will take a looong time for me to reach his run.

I looked up the covers you mentioned. Well they are weird. What i meant was muted colors looks good, as Superman is the one who comes to one's attention. Have never seen anything like them. I admit that they are different. Superman placed on photographs. It would intrigue anyone who watches them.

My favorite of these three is Action Comics #419. All three are interesting with 419 looking something special. Not exactly my choice as art. But they are good and unique. I like them. It looks kind of gimmicky which would precisely attract me as a kid.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-02-2017 at 05:04 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah it's kinda funky, but my favorite movie is Taxi Driver so I dig the aesthetic, haha.

And that last one has DC staff on the cover: Bob Rozakis, Cary Bates, Jack C. Harris and Carl Gafford. In comics from the 70s to 90s the creators would sometimes appear in the comics. Back then Bates, with his long hair and beard, was the giveaway.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Some of his stories elsewhere I don't like, but Loeb was actually pretty great on Superman. It doesn't surprise me at all that he grew up with Maggin, another very talented Superman writer. You could tell he really cared about the character, giving him a lot of charm and throwing him into fun stories. There were neat little touches that tied back to works like For All Seasons like the perspective of writing the relationship with Lois, and forward thinking ideas like Superman using his powers in combination. Combined with Torquasm Vo, it was an era where Superman where started to really spike in power.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Loeb regularly teams up with killer artists like Ed McG and Tim Sale.
    To me, Loeb's run on SUPERMAN, and the overall era that his book and Joe Kelly's ACTION anchored was just great stuff, Particularly from the October 1999-Summer 2001 stuff. As much as I loved Jurgens, Simonson, Ordway etc on Superman, it was time for a change and Loeb and Kelly were a breath of fresh air. Things started to fall apart a bit after Our World's At War, but I fondly remember the Loeb/Kelly era as the last time Superman comics were consistently great reads.

It's no coincidence that our two existing Supes books feel like the best of the original Triangle era stories ( Jurgens ACTION) and the Loeb/Kelly era (Tomasi/Gleeson's SUPERMAN). Granted they aren't direct continuations obviously, but each book feels thematically and asthetically close cousins of those respective eras. SUPERMAN in particular feels very much in line with what Loeb was doing and if he had stayed on Superman until this day, I could totally have seen him creating Jon himself and doing the Hamilton County run of stories.it also helps Gleeson's art looks like an amalgamation of the styles of early Ed McGuiness and Kelly's ACTION artist during much of his run ( Kano was his name I think) . Also Doug Mahnke was also drawing MOS during that time, so that also gives the book that feel when he pitches in.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 11-02-2017 at 07:10 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Some momentos from 1988 (Clark's 50th anniversary):

"America's oldest hero"

....sure...I'll take it, lol

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    To me, Loeb's run on SUPERMAN, and the overall era that his book and Joe Kelly's ACTION anchored was just great stuff, Particularly from the October 1999-Summer 2001 stuff. As much as I loved Jurgens, Simonson, Ordway etc on Superman, it was time for a change and Loeb and Kelly were a breath of fresh air. Things started to fall apart a bit after Our World's At War, but I fondly remember the Loeb/Kelly era as the last time Superman comics were consistently great reads.

It's no coincidence that our two existing Supes books feel like the best of the original Triangle era stories ( Jurgens ACTION) and the Loeb/Kelly era (Tomasi/Gleeson's SUPERMAN). Granted they aren't direct continuations obviously, but each book feels thematically and asthetically close cousins of those respective eras. SUPERMAN in particular feels very much in line with what Loeb was doing and if he had stayed on Superman until this day, I could totally have seen him creating Jon himself and doing the Hamilton County run of stories.it also helps Gleeson's art looks like an amalgamation of the styles of early Ed McGuiness and Kelly's ACTION artist during much of his run ( Kano was his name I think) . Also Doug Mahnke was also drawing MOS during that time, so that also gives the book that feel when he pitches in.

My takeaway from rereading is that Emperor Joker and OWAW were much too long (honestly, I don't even have the full stories or tie-ins of either) with way too many cooks in the kitchen. The period between Loeb and Seagle was rough. Not a fan of Ending Battle. But then I think Kelly and Casey finished strong.

Mahnke and McG were aces. I also really liked Ferry and Aucoin.

845033.jpg

This was my first issue of Superman as a subscribed reader. Before that, I picked up the random issue here or there. I always wanted to read Superman comics but as a kid, I thought the high numbers on the covers meant I had to read everything before it. So I thought I couldn't catch up. Then they announced The Death of Superman and I wasn't going to miss that. So I went to my LCS, asked them to pull everything Superman for me, and have been reading every since. After I subscribed, I went back and started pouring through back issues.

What I love about Superman is that no matter the version, no matter the medium, there is always something to love. He's reached audiences around the world. He's one of the most beloved heroes. That says a whole lot about him as a character. The fact that he's lasted this long and remains fairly popular is truly something special.

My office at work it completely decorated with Superman pictures, statues, autographs and other things. Not a single person can walk past it without stopping in to take a look with a huge smile on their face. My bosses say that every time a new person visits our office, my little corner is the most popular spot. So clearly there is a lot to love about Superman.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

"America's oldest hero"

....sure...I'll take it, lol

My takeaway from rereading is that Emperor Joker and OWAW were much too long (honestly, I don't even have the full stories or tie-ins of either) with way too many cooks in the kitchen. The period between Loeb and Seagle was rough. Not a fan of Ending Battle. But then I think Kelly and Casey finished strong.

Mahnke and McG were aces. I also really liked Ferry and Aucoin.
    Agreed on Pascal Ferry and Derec Aucoin. Two criminally underrated artists.

I haven't done a full reread through of the Loeb/Kelly era in awhile, but I remember liking Emperor Joker and OWAW, but i have a feeling when I do get around to rereading that era those two stories will likely lose some lustre. I've just started a reread of the Post Crisis era with Superman Reborn and I'm only now getting to Exile so it'll be awhile until I reach the Loeb era again.

The story I dislike the most of the Post-Loeb pre Seagle era was LOST HEARTS short arc. It makes the mediocre ENDING BATTLE look like a masterpiece. Ending Battle was basically a rehash of The Death of Clark Kent but not nearly as good, and my opinion of Death of Clark Kent isn't particularly high overall, so that gives you an idea how much I dislike Lost Hearts!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

I get that sentiment in general from your posts, and as always you're right.

Superman #1 is underrated as a cover. And I dig that funky trade dress. One nice, verbatim homage was Action #643, featuring George Perez. It is significant because where Superman #1 gave him the first title of his own, this comic had him reclaim Action from the anthology run.

I feel like 1989~1990 had really good art styles in and out of comics, but in comics especially. Lots of cool coloring effects, bright colors, crisp inking. This is a favorite example.
    I really enjoyed the Roger Stern/George Perez years on Action Comics. Way too brief. Same with Jerry Ordway writing/drawing Superman.

I liked how in Morrison's Action Superman's response to one of the Collector's drones picking up a tank and assimilating it into its body was basically "Are you kidding me right now?"

All the same, I love that Superman gets so blasé about these totally nutso events in his life.

"If it isn't one thing, it's another! There's always some new crackpot with an invention to destroy the world-- and they always test it out on Metropolis!" In other words, "Oh brother, here we go again!"

On another note, I wonder about the implications of Superman's allegation that malign hypercognitives always want to "destroy the world". Why? Are they so nihilistic that global destruction seems like a good idea? It's not like these guys have another place to live. I get it when Brainiac wants to destroy the world, he can just keep hanging out in his ship, but "some new crackpot" showing up every week to do so, presumably human and wanting not to take over but to destroy their own homeworld? That's a concept with some seriously disturbing ideas boiling under its surface.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I love that even tempered approach to the never ending battle, too. I love that it goes way back to the very beginning, back when no one else did what he does. He thought to himself, "welp got these powers, time to put on tights and a cape and go bend the world back into the right position."

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post

My office at work it completely decorated with Superman pictures, statues, autographs and other things. Not a single person can walk past it without stopping in to take a look with a huge smile on their face. My bosses say that every time a new person visits our office, my little corner is the most popular spot. So clearly there is a lot to love about Superman.
    There are a couple of characters will people do that with, but Superman is always the most special. Superman memorabilia, star of every Seinfeld episode!

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Agreed on Pascal Ferry and Derec Aucoin. Two criminally underrated artists.

I haven't done a full reread through of the Loeb/Kelly era in awhile, but I remember liking Emperor Joker and OWAW, but i have a feeling when I do get around to rereading that era those two stories will likely lose some lustre. I've just started a reread of the Post Crisis era with Superman Reborn and I'm only now getting to Exile so it'll be awhile until I reach the Loeb era again.

The story I dislike the most of the Post-Loeb pre Seagle era was LOST HEARTS short arc. It makes the mediocre ENDING BATTLE look like a masterpiece. Ending Battle was basically a rehash of The Death of Clark Kent but not nearly as good, and my opinion of Death of Clark Kent isn't particularly high overall, so that gives you an idea how much I dislike Lost Hearts!
    Lost Hearts. Oof. My own current read through is both through the STAR stories under Pasko and Final Night. I don't have and never read that event itself, though.

OWAW and Emperor Joker both could have been closer to my favorites if they were condensed down and more collaborative between writers. Action #770, imo, dropped the ball from the sweet set up of the penultimate issue in MoS.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    I really enjoyed the Roger Stern/George Perez years on Action Comics. Way too brief. Same with Jerry Ordway writing/drawing Superman.
    Ordway never seems to receive all that much praise as a writer. I'll always love that subtle, patient humor and the heaps of action we saw as recently as AoS #17.

Yeah it's kinda funky, but my favorite movie is Taxi Driver so I dig the aesthetic, haha.

And that last one has DC staff on the cover: Bob Rozakis, Cary Bates, Jack C. Harris and Carl Gafford. In comics from the 70s to 90s the creators would sometimes appear in the comics. Back then Bates, with his long hair and beard, was the giveaway.
    Taxi Driver is your favorite movie. Sure you love this aesthetic. I love Taxi Driver but its not my favorite. So, DC staff appearing in covers was common back then. I did not know that. I thought they appeared only in the last issue. Its one of my favorite covers. Its great to be able to say a goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Some momentos from 1988 (Clark's 50th anniversary):

Superman appeared on TIME on reaching 50! That's cool. I thought the only time he appeared was on the event of his death. Hope we get to see one in his 100th year. Thank you for sharing! I did not know that there was both Superboy and an animated show at the same time. That's neat. Nowadays they don't want anything with Superman apparently.

80 is a weird anniversary number, but let's dream big.

Dunno if there were any more covers with creators aside from Superman #411, but Swan, Schwartz, Simonson, Jurgens, Carlin, Maggin, and Bates appeared inside the comics. Probably others too that I'm forgetting. Funny thing, John Byrne brought himself and Weezy into some Marvel comics, but didn't do that with Superman. Morrison and Rags Morales appeared in their own story, too.

The Superboy show came out when I was extremely young. Pretty interesting to find out that there hadn't been much more than a year between this live action show and L&C. Vera Webster and that show's Bizarro both scared the dirt outta me back then.

The tie in comic was quite fun, bought the whole run some years ago.

I'm re/reading the Triangle era.I'm currently in '92.So many memories here.

80 is a weird anniversary number, but let's dream big.

Dunno if there were any more covers with creators aside from Superman #411, but Swan, Schwartz, Simonson, Jurgens, Carlin, Maggin, and Bates appeared inside the comics. Probably others too that I'm forgetting. Funny thing, John Byrne brought himself and Weezy into some Marvel comics, but didn't do that with Superman. Morrison and Rags Morales appeared in their own story, too.

The Superboy show came out when I was extremely young. Pretty interesting to find out that there hadn't been much more than a year between this live action show and L&C. Vera Webster and that show's Bizarro both scared the dirt outta me back then.

The tie in comic was quite fun, bought the whole run some years ago.
    Tie in comic with this Superboy show isn't it? Superman's tie in comics are pretty good. I have read some issues of Superman Adventures. They are really great. I have heard good things about Smallville Season 11.

Superman #411. This is pretty neat. Julie Schwartz the famous editor is getting a surprise from his staff. So writers used to be inside the books. Wonder why writers don't do this more often.

I haven't watched L&C. That show has made a lot of fans i think. Between that and Superboy there is only a one year gap. Then we have Superman TAS. And that decade was a really good one for Superman in TV. Nowadays he is not here. I want to see Tyler Hoelchin's show. And what i am getting is Krypton. It may turn out to be a real good show but i was interested in Superman the person himself. Let's see what happens next. If there is no MoS 2 that's a long wait before seeing Superman in live action.

There are a lot of dreams with Superman for 80th year. MoS 2, CW Superman, Superman Video games, Superman animated, more comics. I want a whole lot of things.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-04-2017 at 04:00 AM.